• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Blizzard Boss Comparison

chowee21

Par Member
How do the 828ft vs 863.5ft vs 1108ft bosses compare?

Is there a certain color that is more overstable then another?

Best weight?

The 8xxft Bosses were first run / prototype runs with bubbles in the flight plate. The 1108 throw wasn't with a blizzard, it was thrown with an r-pro Boss

Blizzard Bosses are all over the map these days. Tough to find any that fly as well as the OG, bubbles in the flightplate, Blizzards. Too bad really. Those are bombers.

Blizzard Bosses are all over the map these days. Tough to find any that fly as well as the OG, bubbles in the flightplate, Blizzards. Too bad really. Those are bombers.

^ This. The only Bliz Bosses worth buying are the expensive, hard to find FR's with bubbles in the flight plate. I just sold my old, beat one for $30. I believe ones in better condition fetch upwards of $40-$50 pretty easily. The rim bubbles of all the runs since then makes them less stable due to less gyroscopic force. You can still find the occasional one with higher PLH that counteracts the rim bubbles to make it more stable, but they still don't go nearly as far as the FR's did.

How do the 828ft vs 863.5ft vs 1108ft bosses compare?

Is there a certain color that is more overstable then another?

Best weight?

You lookin' for something to throw over 1k? :)

Hero Disc sometimes has better blizzard discs than stock runs (deep rim bubbles, or flight plate bubbles) but currently no Bosses up right now.

You trying to correlate something that shouldn't be correlated.

The bosses simon and dave have were early run, done right with the weight in the flight rims compartively speaking.

Dave's big bomber throw was in a massive tailwind where he needed super flippy ie the rpro boss. A disc you would normally never throw in a distance comp.

Dave saw the wind forecast for 50 plus mph and got smart and packed the rpro bosses. Otherwise I doubt they would have been in the bag.

Your years of experience less than 2 years tells me you need to worry more about technique than splitting hairs between discs.

Original orange with bubbles in the flight plate

16996432889_a249e0daef.jpg

= $$$$

I carry a Blizz-Champ Boss at 138g (the 863.5ft) that i throw frequently when the conditions are right. Now, i dont have any way to compare it to another one in that its been my only, but i will entirely agree that the low weight and the bubbles only in the rim cause a great loss of overstability. It IS overatable, yes. However, its not NEEEARLY as OS as a Boss in a more common and heavier weight range would be. At all. Its OS in comparison to something similar in build, like my Blizz-Champ Katana at 134g. I used these discs to help build my form as a new player, but at some point i started unwillingly overpowering them and now only use them in the right conditions... usually no wind at all. They get really flippy, turn over easily and eventually started distracting my form rather than helping. At some point they became finesse discs rather than for distance. I know i didnt address your question specifically, but hope that perspective on the Blizz Boss helps some. :)

Your years of experience less than 2 years tells me you need to worry more about technique than splitting hairs between discs.

I agree completely with this^^ in that this also aplies to me. :)

Additionally, in response to the pic above of a boss with the bubbles in the flight plate, ive attatched a photo of my Blizz-Boss with the bubbles in the rim for comparison.

Attachments

• 20160630_204321.jpg
    20160630_204321.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 39
Don't buy one. It'll end up in the play it again sports used disc bin

Maybe! :)

I will point out that the reason i originally picked up my blizz-champs was that i was looking around for anything lighter than average because i was having trouble with heavier discs at first. If that applies to you then it may help. Although, no one advised me as such, and Ive never actually run into anyone else who liked or even had any blizz champs. Then again, this forum is about as social as i get. :) the downs of such discs have been explained to me many times and in time they've proven rather accurate. However, i still like and use my blizz champs but again, they seem only helpful in the proper conditions.

Blizzard plastic is junk, and IMO it doesn't do anyone any good in terms of developing proper throwing technique. The stability varies HUGELY from disc to disc. No two blizzard discs seem to fly the same. The plastic also has a rough texture to it and seems to break down quickly after a few throws and becomes even less stable than it already was.

With the blizzard boss specifically, I've never found one that was even throwable. Put any arm on it and at all, even with a hyzer, and it still flips over violently and eats ground.

There are good understable drivers out there, but you're better off finding something in heavier weight and better plastic.

Blizzard plastic is junk, and IMO it doesn't do anyone any good in terms of developing proper throwing technique. The stability varies HUGELY from disc to disc. No two blizzard discs seem to fly the same. The plastic also has a rough texture to it and seems to break down quickly after a few throws and becomes even less stable than it already was.

Ya, dont pick up blizzard or starlite if its got a rough surface. Its going to break down faster than DX into flippy nonsense.

Occasionally you'll find runs of blizz or starlite with deep rim bubbles instead of the surface bubbles that cause a rough texture, or early and special runs with bubbles in the flight plate. These can usually be counted on for better reliability and durability.

Other mfgs have Air plastic that disperses the bubbles across the plate and rim, and are a bit more consistent if you really need light weight discs.

Personally I dont mess with Air plastics anymore, but I do really like to find the occasional misprint run that has abnormally light weights. I have 160g Saints and Worlds that are beefy for the mold, but light enough that I get them moving fast and going far, and they are some of my most coveted discs.

Blizz bosses

I don't know if anyone agrees with this but I have 3 blizzard bosses I've purchased in the last year from a 138 to 153 g and they're all stable over stable in fact the The latest one was Unusable until I broke it in they were equal were more stable than my four time Macbeth destroyers which I can throw accurately to 400 feet. I also carry an r pro boss as an understandable distance driver that if thrown on a heizer flip is an absolute monster. This is all on a right hand backhand throw the blizzard bosses definitely do not hold up to 4 hands if not thrown on a heizer Is it makes a difference I tend to throw on a heizer without torque and like to throw putters for distance so for someone else they might flip more easily.

I don't know if anyone agrees with this but I have 3 blizzard bosses I've purchased in the last year from a 138 to 153 g and they're all stable over stable in fact the The latest one was Unusable until I broke it in they were equal were more stable than my four time Macbeth destroyers which I can throw accurately to 400 feet. I also carry an r pro boss as an understandable distance driver that if thrown on a heizer flip is an absolute monster. This is all on a right hand backhand throw the blizzard bosses definitely do not hold up to 4 hands if not thrown on a heizer Is it makes a difference I tend to throw on a heizer without torque and like to throw putters for distance so for someone else they might flip more easily.

Nice necro bump, there.

Blizzard discs are all over the place on stability, and it isn't just Bosses. I've definitely thrown some really beefy ones. I've also thrown some that were uselessly flippy.

A good blizz Boss is definitely capable of huge yardage. Close to 500' for me. They don't have a ton of use on the course, but are fun to bomb with in the field. I'd put blizz Katanas in the same boat.

Point is though, you have zero clue what you're getting when you pick up a blizzard disc. They all fly differently, sometimes dramatically so.

Blizzard discs are all over the place on stability, and it isn't just Bosses. I've definitely thrown some really beefy ones. I've also thrown some that were uselessly flippy.

A good blizz Boss is definitely capable of huge yardage. Close to 500' for me. They don't have a ton of use on the course, but are fun to bomb with in the field. I'd put blizz Katanas in the same boat.

Point is though, you have zero clue what you're getting when you pick up a blizzard disc. They all fly differently, sometimes dramatically so.

Unfortunately some runs of Champion have the old Blizzard style with bubbles deep in the rim on them and make the mold vary so much from one disc to the next they are not worth getting either. However they are rare and not common and only come out every so often, so one can get the Champion without worry online as this seems to have affected like 2% of the Champion discs.

I've got an old Starlight Boss 150g w/bubbles in the flight plate that's my go-to thumber disc. However, I'd never count on it for any sort of normal throw. It does have rough edges/flight plate, but surpassingly it's held up well to plenty of Overhand shots straight into the rocky/boulders of my home course.

Pictures of 2 139 blizzard bosses..both have little domes...green one has noticeably more concave wing and higher plh...it is a stable glidy boss that turns over forehand and comes back...good anny flex...purple one less stable but still good backhand.

Attachments

• 20200306_074849.jpg
    20200306_074849.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200306_074821.jpg
    20200306_074821.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 14
Pictures of 2 139 blizzard bosses..both have little domes...green one has noticeably more concave wing and higher plh...it is a stable glidy boss that turns over forehand and comes back...good anny flex...purple one less stable but still good backhand.

that purple boss looks like a freakin katana

Latest posts