• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Boatman vs Giant

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
How different are these discs? Is the Giant just a longer version of the Boatman? I've heard the Giant isnt quite as OS as it sounds. Ideally I'm looking for a longer Long Bowman, which if you haven't thrown is like a beat firebird out of the box. I thrown avg distance around 350'.

I also throw a Trespass, how much more OS are these discs compared to the Trespass.

I think what you are looking for is an Elasto Giant. In tp my Giants are a bit flippy but my Elasto is trusty OS which I use to get more distance than my longbowman. I liken the trespass to the sword finding both to be US.

I got a beat in TP Giant that I can get a nice hyserflip to slight right turn and then a predictable fade and I also got a newer TP Giant which is just straight if I don't throw it into a 10+ mph headwind which it will usually start riding anny before comming back.
I got a biofuzion Trespass and it is way more understable then both my Giants.

As for comparioson to Boatman I not sure I have never thrown it.

I don't know the Boatman, but if I were to comp the discs mentioned that I do know;

To me the Trespass is like a beat Star Destroyer, the VIP Giant is like a Star Ape. Basically it's pretty OS but the TP is not near as OS. Get a VIP or Elasto. I think you will like it.

I don't know the Boatman, but if I were to comp the discs mentioned that I do know;

To me the Trespass is like a beat Star Destroyer, the VIP Giant is like a Star Ape. Basically it's pretty OS but the TP is not near as OS. Get a VIP or Elasto. I think you will like it.

Would you say a Lucid Trespass and a TP Giant would be very similar? I live at 7K feet and really don't need anything dumb OS. Just looking for something a touch more stable than a Lucid Trespass.

Ive recently bought a 172 pink tp boatman and they fly pretty straight for me. For example for BHs btween 340 and 380 they are straight with a lite fade. For FHs i throw them for 270 to 330 and can throw them dead straight or with a touch of hyzer for a flip.

I initially bought this because my rivals and thinderbirds were overlapping so i just decided to step up to a boatman for those long straight lines with minimal fade.

If anything a boatman flys like a faster more stable biofuzion escape, Is more stable than a esp surge, and has less fade than a star wraith.

having thrown all 3, the boatman is a nice step up in stability from the lucid trespass. giant is faster and more os than boatman maybe more glide too. both resist turn really well, but the giant will always fade further out. other than that the boatman feels really blunt in the hand

Giants a much like destroyers in that they start out relatively OS and are great for long hyzers. However, my favorite blue TP now flies much like a world or boss. The giant is a great distance driver for cycling imo.

The boatman is a nice step up from the trespass, however it isn't beefy like some might think (wish it was). Especially Recycled boatmans which are dead straight to fade.

Would you say a Lucid Trespass and a TP Giant would be very similar? I live at 7K feet and really don't need anything dumb OS. Just looking for something a touch more stable than a Lucid Trespass.

I think a good TP Giant is still faster and more OS than any Trespass I've thrown.

There are definitely dumb OS Giants out there. I have a blue VIP that is just a hoss, makes my pink VIP Giant look like a TL. They're a good deal more OS than a Trespass, and faster.

I'd say Giants are like new Champ Destroyers, some meathooks, some usefully OS, and Trespasses are like fresh to beat Star Destros. I carry a VIP Giant for HW duty and a beat Fuzion Trespass for a stable disc on water holes and they're pretty complementary. Giant-Trespass-Destiny-flippy King is my distance lineup and it works well (except my Destiny might be seasoning into overlap territory with my King).

Never thrown a Boatman so I can't help you there.

Giants are my go to stable to OS mold.

Longbowmen are my stable to OS fairway mold.

Giants are my longer Longbowmen. I find the comparison very accurate. They start out OS but beat in to pick up a ton of glide/ carry, and keep some fade. Worrying about either flipping fresh is one of the furthest things from my mind.

Beat recycled Giants go really far, and then come back a little. Now I want a BT/ Recycled Longbowman.

The only Giants I have tried were a swirly TP at sea level and an Elasto at 4500'. Both were stupid OS, like utility high speed...more beefy than my overstable Destroyer slot. I could throw a Trespass probably 50-75' further backhand on flat releases. I would go with a BioFuzion Defender for a step up from Trespass, they are straight to fade but have distance. I have not thrown a beat Defender though so I don't know where it would end up after a ton of use. For reference I throw ~400', if you are in the 450' range I could see the Giant being workable and the Defender too much turn, although I don't know at 7000'.

I've come to the conclusion that the Boatman is exactly what I needed. I got a TP Boatman it handles a headwind real well. I would almost compare it to a long teebird, or a straighter destroyer. Very little turn with minimal fade. Very little lateral movement.

The boatman is a great driver. I'm still really burned that we can't get some Bt Giants out here. I rocked my Bt giant off a tree that normal shouldn't be in play in play but shanked it and dont have a replacement now. 😭

Latest posts