• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Bolt / Dominator / Groove

luckless_pedestrian

Eagle Member
I've been chucking a new Halo pretty dang far, for me, when I throw it flat and low. Probably 350'-375'. And I just measured with Google Earth -- I was thinking I was throwing farther. Anyway...

I thought that a Bolt would be a good compliment to the Halo. But looking on Inbouds I see that the Dominator and Groove, both of which I own but don't throw anymore, are very close in flight numbers.

I get the whole Groove thing. The one I have is found. It was also the first way too fast mold I bought before I knew any better. Trading that thing for a Saint was the best trade I ever made. The Dominator is a 172-ish Blizzard that I've had good results with in the past. It just stopped being cool enough to bag. I kind of like the shallowness of it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone who's thrown all three could compare/contrast.

IMO the Bolt is a way better choice than the Groove or Dominator. It is a touch understable though, keep that in mind. The Groove is finicky and glideless, and the Dominator is perhaps the most disappointing driver I've ever thrown. It just flat out doesn't cover ground very well.

So, to sum things up, the Bolt has way more distance potential than the Groove or Dominator, but is understable and may be a bit hard to find consistency with.

I've had the misfortune to try all 3 molds you mention and I would ditch all 3 and get a champ Tern. Much better disc and should give much more consistent results. If the champ flies too stable for you, get a star or gstar, but at your distance I'm guessing a champ should work well.

The Bolt should be flippier than the Dominator, and it's also probably flippier than the Groove, but that depends on your Groove. If you already own the Groove and Dominator, you should go ahead and try throwing them. If they do what you want, then you don't need to look any further.

Don't buy a Bolt, it's okay but not great. The Groove is hard to say becuase I've never thrown two that fly the same. I had one as a new player that flew like a Boss, my buddy has two and one flies like a Katana and the other like it's advertised.

Dominator is a waste of plastic. Don't even.

I have struggled to fill this a lot as well, but from my experiences those are not the droids your looking for.

As a Trilogy thrower I wanted to add my .02 on the Bolt which I bag and throw as a max D driver

First off, yes the bolt is flippy. However if there is ANY winds it's going to effect the bolt. When the wind is past 10mph I usually break out a King which isn't as effected by the wind as much.

Also if you need more flippyness go with a recycled gold line rather then the traditional gold line. I find that they're a tad more flipper. If you need something to come back faster then step down to an opto line bolt.

I should also chime in that DD released a Bolt clone called the Freedom. If the bolt doesn't get your nipples hard, try a freedom. I know a couple of trilogy thrower who didn't like the bolt but bags a freedom...why I'll never know.

Hope this helps!

I've had the misfortune to try all 3 molds you mention and I would ditch all 3 and get a champ Tern. Much better disc and should give much more consistent results. If the champ flies too stable for you, get a star or gstar, but at your distance I'm guessing a champ should work well.

I agree 100% with this post.

So logic, and the fact that I have had success in the past with the champ Tern, tells me that I need another champ Tern. However, I'm somehow putting a Freedom in the cart...