• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Bolt Vs King Vs D3 - sorta

FWIW cannons can be pretty OS to US also but I preferred it over any bolt, king, katana, D3/4/5 etc... Its a tough mold to really dial in due to the high speed and lower stability combo. Really prefer a beat up version of a slightly stable disc.

Why not throw a D4 if you like prodigy?

I did for a while. It was fine. But I much prefer the 400G for the D drivers and I couldn't find a D4 that I liked or fit my wants....which is a white disc with minimal pop top. I had a D4 be more OS than my D3 and one that was too gummy and flipped crazy hard. I still have a D4 but I'm using it in my winter bag set. So basically I wanted to try other things... just cuz. And of the D series the one's that really fit where I wanted them were the D3 and D2....but I stopped using a D2 because It was close enough to my D3.....I got the King today.. It's really sweet, and feels better than the bolt already. I still think the bolt is a bomber, but it could not handle the arm I gave it...always turn and burn. I'll try this King out, But just from feeling it and looking at it I feel it's gonna work out. But either way, I did want a pretty US disc, so Bolt or King, itll work out. I realllllly like the feel of this King tho. I got a 170g VIP and its sweet I will likely report back on my field testing and compare the Bolt and King....both feel very different. Bolt is wider rimmed.

Is the king you are getting from a newer run? The early ones had a lot of flippy ones.I have one I use for max D rollers that I can throw from a standstill on a steep hyzer at 70% and know that it will flip up flat and finish right. It will nearly barrell roll on a thumer. Its one of the flippiest discs I have thrown.

The newer ones are money for me for high speed understable. Tailwind max D or hyzerflip and track right a ways very predictable and won't turn and burn unless thrown poorly.

Nice. It's a brand new run of King. I think, it doesn't have the characteristics I've heard from old runs.

Either way it will all depend on how it flies.

So after field test tomorrow I'll report back......not like anybody cares, haha but I will:thmbup::thmbup:

Bolt seems to be a more consistent mold than a king. I know my bolts are easy distance when a head wind is not in play. Every king i have thrown has been more understable than any bolt.

Bingo. Bolts absolutely crush but are a little too squirrely in anything but a tailwind for me. Kings.. Everyone I've seen has been incredibly flippy. Wayy more than any Bolt.

FWIW cannons can be pretty OS to US also but I preferred it over any bolt, king, katana, D3/4/5 etc... Its a tough mold to really dial in due to the high speed and lower stability combo. Really prefer a beat up version of a slightly stable disc.

Why not throw a D4 if you like prodigy?

Right now I'm throwing Cannons trying to give my Destros a run for their money. They are faster and longer. They also have Destroyer type variations, as you stated. I have one with ZERO turn and healthy fade. One with the -3, 3 that Legacy advertises, and one that is really flippy, like -4, 1. All 3 Icon and 173-4.

On the Freedom, I would say it's close to what you want. I didn't see anywhere you listed your distance. For me, it was too flippy to earn my trust on the course. Distance contest, long drive bet with a buddy, trying to show off..That's a Freedom shot for me, until I learn this flippy cannon better. They go so far, and glide so much, but I have to throw them literally like / to get any good D.

I think you'd like it though, as you said you like to finesse your plastic.

Well I said I 'Know how' to finesse it, but for this long max D shot that I want a smooth Left to Right then sit. I have the King in the bag now, heading out to field throw it today. If this is a no go I will probably try a Havoc and another D4.......then I will give up on life if none work out. But I am sure I will be fine.

This is a hard slot to fill because as a wide rim driver it needs a lot of arm speed to get up to where the disc can work. But no matter what the disc has some fade BECAUSE its such a wide rim disc (unless you turn and burn it, then youre SOL)

I went out to test Max Distance Understable drivers: Mamba, King, Bolt......Well after a couple hours of field work in different angles in the wind. The Mamba has the most understable (overall) flight. The Bolt has the most HighSpeed turn but also the most fade. The King has a really nice shape and turns under but softly fades back. All hold Anhyzer very well. Best for hyzer flipping was the Mamba (for me) . Most distance potential BOLT (without a doubt) but in a somewhat close second is the King. For feel in the hand King wins or me. Into a headwind the King also held up the best. Tailwind, the Bolt soared but does take a lot of lateral movement to work with (in an open field its no problem but on a course it may be). Conclusion. All these are good Understable distance drivers. I catagorize the mamba a couple speeds lower than the Bolt and King. Rim width, widest is Bolt, then King, then Mamba. --I came out to test my new King. And I must say I am more than pleased. The numbers I give it are 13/5/-1.5/2 and it really flies like a faster/longer valkyrie. I feel I will be using this far more than I ever used my Bolt because of the need for space to work with. The King held the straightest lines. 170g VIP. I was overly impressed and it earned the spot in my bag where I wanted it to fit. Thank God!

ps: I also tested my Torrent (DGA) and its a bomber. It has a very wide rim and is almost a challenge to grip. But it flies like a slightly more stable Bolt. I got great distance and it wasn't too hard to flip over. Not the best for hyzerflipping because if you miss it, it will ride a long hyzer. But if you hit the sweet spot it flies very far, much like a Nuke, just a little flatter and wider....thats about it.

PPS: I did also try it with my D3....and the King was just a tick more understable than the D3....exactly what I was hoping for. D3 still have a very straight flight and good glide with a predictable hyzer finish. The King just bent more understable then held and then hyzered back. About same distance but D3 finished a little bit more left. The perfect compliment. ;)

what Im looking for is a speed 13-ish understable max d driver. One that will flip under at a certain point but will hold and not just turn and burn. I use my Roadrunner a LOT and I want THAT in a max D driver basically....I do have a Mamba which is great for shots I need to throw high and left and I know will turn and hold right. Now I DO NOT want a faster mamba...thats all the US high speed anyone needs.....but I want a high speed US disc that is usable....that will work with what I'm trying to throw. The closest thing I've come is a D4 or D5. But lately they are just either toooooo US or not US at all.....so I gave up on the,. basically a disc similar to these numbers (that I am making up right now) 13/5/-2/2 thats what I'm looking for. ;) thank you everyone.

I'm pretty sure those are the exact same numbers as a wahoo..I bought a blizzard champion Wahoo thats 171 and it's no where near as flippy as it's Pro plastic counterparts. Its actually very useful for the kind of shot you are trying. The Wahoo didn't make my bag as the shot I would use it for is filled by a nicely worn Pro Boss.

Also in my expierence the shot you keep describing is more of an indian not the arrow situation. You have to learn the shot more than buy a piece equipment to rely on.

Latest posts