• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bombmks dyes

bombmk

Eagle Member
Figured it was about time I got around to posting the few discs I have done so far.

Background: Living and playing in Denmark. Started playing last year, and soon found some dye videos - I had to try that! :)
Getting Rit is a bit of a pain though - have to rely on Ebaying it from UK. Haven't found an equivalent in Denmark yet. The first ones I cut by hand, but quickly realised that if I wanted to proceed with this, I needed a decent light table or a plotter. Didn't do anything about it over the summer, while I mulled over what direction to go on that. :) Decided on the plotter 3 weeks ago. Not going to look back. (except in admiration at the ones who do beautiful handcut stencils).
I usually paint on with liquid Rit and isopropyl alcohol(not sure thats the english term for it) - unless otherwise stated.

So here we go:

First one, made about a year ago. Cut by hand. Latitude Spike, Gripline plastic. So its the plastic and not the camera supplying the unfocused look. :)

2nd one, about a year ago. Cut by hand. Latitude Core, Goldline plastic. Still looks great I think. The print is only slightly fuzzy at this point.

3rd: Got the plotter. :) Latitude Core, Goldline plastic. Sadly I made a mistake in taking of the vinyl to fast before making sure the red was all washed off, so its a bit reddish on 70% of what should be white as the red was was washed over it, while taking off the vinyl. But its not that bad, overall.

More below..

Attachments

• Bomb_Dye_01_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_01_01.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Bomb_Dye_02_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_02_01.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Bomb_Dye_03_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_03_01.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 51
4th: Latitude River, Goldline plastic. Quick dye as I was leaving for the Danish Championships the next day. :) Black is more purplish. And the design is a bit more boring than I hoped for, once it got on the disc. :)

5th: Latitude Core, Goldline plastic. Price for the winner of the club championships in one of the two clubs I am a member of. Despite the heavy bleed, I was very satisfied with the outcome. The recipient just thought it looked cool. :)

Attachments

• Bomb_Dye_04_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_04_01.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Bomb_Dye_05_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_05_01.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 59
6th: Latitude Core, Optoline plastic. Was asked if I had some more for sideprizes at the same club championships. So I whipped up a couple more.

7th: Beast. Can't remember the plastic(Latitude is my brand :) ).
Tried Dan Howards amazing shaving cream trick. And with great success I think. The colored shaving cream was a lot more thick/lumpy than he described it should be, which seem to have given it a more distinct division between the colors and the white. Very happy with the outcome. The colors were pretty great and so was the "texture".

Attachments

• Bomb_Dye_06_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_06_01.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 67
  • Bomb_Dye_07_01.jpg
    Bomb_Dye_07_01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 72
Thanks! I told my local plastic pusher that he was in for a treat as I would now have two reasons for buying discs. :)

The winner of the club championship disc (the green/white) already commisioned three discs for a tournament he is running, and I ave one in the making for another club championship this weekend, so so far the plotter is coming to god use. :)

Nice dyes, keep up the good work!
And cheers for doing dyes for your local club, it's the members who make it great!!!
:hfive:

Those are some of the most crisp lines I have seen (not that I'm an expert on dying). Well done sir. Once you get the hang of everything and the bleeding stops, those are going to be some picture perfect dyes.

Just wondering what plotter you bought. Would like to know what you guys are using. :)

Roland Stika SV-12. They seem to be a little more expensive than other brands on the market. But around here its more or less the only one I could find, besides buying on E-bay. And on stuff like this I prefer to have somewhere I can go and complain if it does not work. :)

Plugs easily into Adobe Illustrator. Automatically really.

Thank you for all the nice responses, guys.
I guess the creators sees all the errors and the outsider sees what was intended. :)

One note: When doing a spiderweb - make sure to combine all your paths. Then you won't have to weed out 5-6 itsy bitsy teeny tiny vinyl pieces from all 133 cross sections where the plotter crisscrossed. That took about 1h and 30 min longer to weed than it should have. :)

One of my latest creations. Picture is a bit bad sadly as it was taken with the phone in less than optimal conditions.

kfk2.jpg

It was given away as, part of, the first prize in the local club championship in Købehavns Frisbee Klub (Copenhagens Frisbee Club (we have ultimaters too)). The art is the club logo, with some text added my by me.

And it, expectedly, ended up in the hands of our local disc golf celebrity (if there is such a thing :) ), Karl Johan Høj Nybo. He has been part of the European Presidents Cup team for the last two years and is currently 13th on the PDGA ranking with 1030 - and 6 time Danish championship winner. And an all around nice guy who was very happy about the disc. Well chuffed with that.
He will have to explain to Innova what a Latitude Core is doing on prominent display, though. :)

Better picture taken by KJ for me:

KFKChamp11_small.jpg

If the orange seems slightly grainy, it is because it was orange Rit powder, water and shaving cream mixed at once and the applied. Wasn't planning on that effect, but kinda liked it for this particular disc.