• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

Birds - You should totally do a green dye like that on a light blue disc, then dye some fish on there afterwards. That pattern really looks like seaweed!

Here is what I have come up with, no baking here though. I have been racking my brain on this one for some time as well and props for the breakthrough! I have been experimenting with various soap detergents and had been unable to get a dye/detergent mix to dye with any clarity. Never tried shaving cream, use it all the time but in speaking with Jeff a few months back on Facebook he had claimed never to have tried sc huh maybe he didn't cant be sure. What I did here is mix dye, sc and dishwasher detergent and pressing it into a plate with a similar shape to the disc so that it sticks down and you could turn it upside down. The pull it up and bam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 425
Here is what I have come up with, no baking here though. I have been racking my brain on this one for some time as well and props for the breakthrough! I have been experimenting with various soap detergents and had been unable to get a dye/detergent mix to dye with any clarity. Never tried shaving cream, use it all the time but in speaking with Jeff a few months back on Facebook he had claimed never to have tried sc huh maybe he didn't cant be sure. What I did here is mix dye, sc and dishwasher detergent and pressing it into a plate with a similar shape to the disc so that it sticks down and you could turn it upside down. The pull it up and bam

What dye and concentration did you use? What was the ratio between the 3 components?

I used I dye poly maybe a tsp of dye and just enough water to cover the dye, then I add the sc and mix it if it looks too light ill add more hydrated dye, adding powder only to sc it seems to not mix as well. When the color is right I add maybe a tablespoon or so of dishwasher detergent. This makes more than you need really put a small dab of as many colors as you want to the center of the plate smash it down and spread it to the endges by pushing hard from the center outward then pull it up and leave it overnight

Another thing about the original brainwave. Jeff told a local pro who placed a large order previous to the incident that he used a different dye on glow as he did on other plastics so that they would still glow. I dye poly allows for the disc to glow thru and Jeff's colors where far more vibrant and opaque. I think some further investigation into this is necessary. There are a slew of commercial dye manufac. who have disperse dyes that are expensive only available in bulk, often requiring excessive heat or a carrier but in a broader range of colors.

Nice work everyone!

Has anyone else seen the thread I mentioned from 2005 revealing the brainwave technique and a few other miscelaneous comments Jeff made?

I read it the other night. Search for Disc Dyeing (sp) 101 on the PDGA message board. It was a thread back in 2005. He congratulated the guy on figuring it out. Keep in mind however that Jeff has "mastered" it.

Keep in mind however that Jeff has "mastered" it.

QFT!

There are still many details to smooth out in this process.

-White Vinegar on low heat to help dye take to plastic and disolve powder dye particles
-Sodium Algenate as a thickner
-baking the waves is on the right path

There was one comment reguarding missing steps in another dyers process, can't tell if its sarcasim or subtle hints as to Jeff's process.

The golden Google search term was "brainwave disc". Found it the morning after I read this thread. I was going to just look at pics of Jeffs disc and stumbled apon it.

But now that the technique has been unvieled, it's obvious that there are many variations that are going to be stemed from this.

To replicate what Jeff has done already will be fun(and probably difficult), but to expand apon it will be even greater!

Has anyone tried a two stage process?

put on your light colors as a base right on the disc. then have your dark color mixed in the tide and dip it while the 1st coat is still wet?

we should get a worksheet kind of thing going.

Material used: shaving cream
brand: barbasol red can

...and get pictures up.

i think i need to send the OP some plastic to practice with! what do you throw?

we should get a worksheet kind of thing going.

Material used: shaving cream
brand: barbasol red can

...and get pictures up.

i think i need to send the OP some plastic to practice with! what do you throw?

This sounds like a good idea, does anyone have a google docs account?

I'd be willing to practice on anything...

yeah my girlfriend is working this weekend. I may try some of this.

Here is what I got from a similar technique...

Wanted to marble but got some cooler effects instead.... take a look

IMG_5117_zps48212d17.jpg

IMG_5116_zpsf0bebcf3.jpg

IMG_5118_zpsaa953dbe.jpg