• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I believe that he could be achieving the nebula dyes just by squirting liquid dye over top of the disc. I got similar results a long time ago before we discovered punky color.... and i was using a more liquid dye mix... let me find the pic.

1515018_238713062963413_1481988904_n.jpg

Wondernut ^ with whatever dye he is using....

858836_10100394580619466_495183715_o.jpg

Mine ^ .... see how the edges look similar?

the reason I mentioned floating the dye on top of detergent, is because of a video I saw a while on paper-marbling (ebru). this isn't the video, but it does show the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejlQULqDuM

I agree with you, Goose, bubbles seem like a good theory.

fyi - I've tried to use oil to float dye on top of, and it was an epic fail of epic proportions. I don't suggest it.

the reason I mentioned floating the dye on top of detergent, is because of a video I saw a while on paper-marbling (ebru). this isn't the video, but it does show the technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejlQULqDuM

I agree with you, Goose, bubbles seem like a good theory.

fyi - I've tried to use oil to float dye on top of, and it was an epic fail of epic proportions. I don't suggest it.

That video looks awesome. Very inspiring artform! I think were getting somewhere.

Alongside the theory about the bubbles, I am thinking dish soap is involved in the dye mix (rather than laundry detergent). Only reason i say that is cause one of the reasons I went back to laundry detergent for my spin dyes is because dish soap would bubble up too much for me and I wasnt getting clean lines.

However dish soap might just be the way to go with this type of dye. Now the question still remains, is it the disc sitting upside down in the mixture or is the dye mix put on top and then blown outward with maybe a blow dryer or something or allowed to drip naturally off the disc?

I think I am going to give this a go tomorrow laying the disc in a dish soap dye pool (so to speak) for an extended period of time and see what I get.

Pool of Elmers glue, maybe Karo syrup...man I wish had some funds to order some worm dye. Can't wait till after the holidays!

Well i think we nailed it with the soaking upside down in the detergent/soap theory. Not sure if you have seen my results in the dye alternatives thread yet or not, but I posted it earlier this morning. Learned a few things on my first run, but I think this is the method being used. I have a second disc laying in a dye pool right now. Good work guys :hfive:

Here's my first brainwave attempt. Used iDye mix with shaving cream. Any tips on how to get better waves? I know Punky Colour works well and have some coming in tomorrow so I will post another try tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1795767_10152570267287564_780322_n.jpg
    1795767_10152570267287564_780322_n.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 153
I messed around with brainwaves with some 2012 Ace Race discs (now the Zombee) for a bit the other night. I did one with SC and one with laundry detergent.

First is the SC, then the detergent. Both were Red, Purple, and black. The Detergent one mixed together very quick, so there's not much distinction. Also, it was hard for me to get the detergent to stand up enough that I could get anything on the disc without covering basically the whole thing. However, this made me want to try more because there are a few small ares that looked pretty awesome (the 3rd pic) - now I just gotta figure out how to get a whole disc to look like that.

Attachments

• 0203142238.jpg
    0203142238.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 0203142238a.jpg
    0203142238a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 167
  • 0203142238b.jpg
    0203142238b.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 137
I see that this thread hasn't been updated in more than 2 years. Has anyone posted a concise, effective method for brainwave dyes? I'd love to give this a try but am struggling to get through 75 pages of posts here.

I see that this thread hasn't been updated in more than 2 years. Has anyone posted a concise, effective method for brainwave dyes? I'd love to give this a try but am struggling to get through 75 pages of posts here.

Did you read the very first post on this thread?

From Dec 2012, yes. I should have been more clear with my question. Is this still the best practice for achieving brainwaves? I've seen a LOT of good examples online and recognize that it takes time and practice. Was just wondering if there were shared technique updates in the past couple years.

That's about as clear and concise as you are likely to find.

I imagine that everyone doing brainwaves is doing some kind of variation of that technique, with various different materials and other tweaks and nuances. But mostly when someone discovers something that works really well, they aren't apt to share.

Also, steps won't always translate to reproducible results anyway - there is talent involved. No step by step is going to get you results like Jeff Ash.

Just start with the basics here and mess around till you find something that works for you. You have to be able to commit to wasting a few discs as testers to get good at any sort of tye dye technique.

Holy balls... necrobump.

Just now seeing this. I have actually sworn off doing/selling any resemblance of brainwaves. The man, Jeff Ash is back at it. How can you compete with that?

Right indeed... I will say that the guys on here are hitting close to the mark, in due time they will hit on the right combination......... I would stop rightnow and sell all my dye if Jeff got out and got back into it though.........:thmbup:

Well...?

Nothing to fear, Jeff. I've yet to see anything I'd consider even close to your quality.

Nothing to fear, Jeff. I've yet to see anything I'd consider even close to your quality.

Thank you! Some of what I read was disturbing. My friends told me about it. I finally saw for myself tonight. I don't anger easily but... really?

Thank you! Some of what I read was disturbing. My friends told me about it. I finally saw for myself tonight. I don't anger easily but... really?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think he read bamm's comment as "Jeff should sell all his dye when he gets out", but I think what Jerry was saying was "If Jeff got out and got back into the dye game, that HE (bamm) would sell off all his dye and stop trying to copy your method."

If I'm way off base, I apologize.

Right indeed... I will say that the guys on here are hitting close to the mark, in due time they will hit on the right combination......... I would stop rightnow and sell all my dye if Jeff got out and got back into it though.........:thmbup:

Bender... It wasn't Bam's post... it was the general theme of the many other comments and posts and how it was almost like I had died.

Latest posts