• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brand loyalty question

I'm not.

But for those who are, the best reason to be loyal would be that you know the manufacturers personally, or they've done something great for you or your local scene.

The best reason to be single brand would be to simplify your choices. Within one brand you can pretty well fill a bag, without having to test 10,000 different models/plastics/weights for the next magic disc that will make you a star. It won't be quite as fine-tuned as a mixed bag, but it'll do.

I agree with this. There are so many choices available, with new releases coming out seemingly all the time, even within a single brand. Sticking with something tried and true simplifies things. Plus, you actually get to learn the discs well and gain a lot of familiarity compared to chasing some "magic" disc that will change your game.

In the course of learning about the game, I've thrown and own various brands of discs but I have stuck with Innova discs for a few reasons:

1) I started out with them and have a predictable range of expectations from the core molds I throw. This also gives a good basis for comparison for other discs/new releases. In addition, I have gotten to a point where I have a good stash of backups and throwers in different stages of wear.

2) They work for me, and as I improve my game, I continue to find new ways to use them.

3) They are widely available at competitive prices. If I am traveling and have an opportunity to play but didn't bring any discs, I can easily go to a number of stores (in the US, at least) and get an Aviar, Roc/Roc3, and some sort of dependable driver like a Leopard/Teebird/Valkyrie/Thunderbird. Instant 3-5 disc bag that I am comfortable with playing at any course.

Mixed bag here, but I do throw a lot of Discraft. Why? They have regionally been a huge supporter of our game. Many tournaments I play, I get Discraft. Once I have collected three or four Undertakers, Cranks, Buzzz or Heats, I start to throw them. Other than sell them, what am I going to do with a disc and a handful of backups?
Kinda sorta the case for me in a roundabout way...

I currently bag 20 discs from five manufacturers (six actual "brands").
Of the 20: 9 are Discraft... of those 9, 7 are mids and putters.

First and foremost, my loyalty lies with molds (sometimes even specific plastics and weight ranges within a mold), rather than brands or manufacturers. I throw what works for me, regardless who makes it. So is it surprising is it that I bag a lot of DC mids and putters?

That said, Ru4Por's right... DC does a lot for this sport in this community, and I have easy access to a lot of their stuff (often on the cheap or for free), so in some ways, they're kind of my default manufacturer. When they haven't filled a slot to my satisfaction, I look to other molds.

Last edited:
Question for you guys that only bag one brand of discs. Why is it you carry that brand? What brought you to them in the first place? I dont want to start any kind of argument about brand x vs brand z or anything like that. Just more a curiosity thing.

For me, it was a combination of things. Im a toolmaker by trade (build injection molds) so supporting a company based in my region felt like i was kinda supporting my brothern. Also, these discs are made in a way that adds some difficulty to the moldmaking and molding processes and i find these to be made very very well. Im very picky about the tooling and such.

I also feel as tho there are plenty of quality american made discs to buy american made discs. Ones that are actually made here, not based here but actually made elsewhere with someone elses plastics.

Lastly, and most important, i freaking love the discs. Really clicked with all the ones ive got, and have been super impressed.

It's a matter of supporting a Michigan company for me so I throw almost all Discraft. I know MVP is in Michigan as well but never liked their overmolds. I'm sure they're good discs - just weren't for me. Plus, there are so many daggum discs on the market by limiting myself to one brand it's a lot easier to be familiar with the plastics and molds.

I bag lots of different brands because I have no loyalty to any of them to be honest, nor do I feel like I should. I don't use the same brand of toothpaste or boxers or sandwich bread or whatever because I know the CEO or they're based in my hometown or anything else. I use the same brand all the time because I've tried it and it works. I believe that for the vast majority of companies, brand loyalty comes from providing a good product. Do something well and market it properly and with a little luck people will pay for it and continue to pay for it long-term. As a consumer in a globalized marketplace, I have the privilege of buying stuff from lots of places, lots of companies, etc. I like discs from Innova, DC, all the Lat 64 brands, and Kastaplast. I only have one disc from MVP/Axiom (an Envy), but I would not trade that disc for anything. If there is a benefit to restricting yourself to one company, then I guess that I'm missing it.

On a related note, DG, in my experience, has more of this sort of talk than any other sport I've played. Tennis, soccer, hockey, golf, don't seem to have these types of discussions as much. For example, when I went from a Wilson tennis racket (owned by a foreign company but a recognized American brand) to a Babolat, none of my friends tried to get me to switch back or switch to a Head or a Prince or anything else, nor do I agonize over the choice of Adidas or Nike for cleats out of some sense of loyalty or national pride or anything. DG, for some reason, maybe because it's still a niche sport, certainly seems to have more "brand loyalist" than other things.

Last edited:
Mixed bag for me. Most to least: Innova, Discraft, Legacy, DGA, and Vibram.

I do pay attention when RDG ( Reptilian Disc Golf) has a new release or formulation. Owner and creator is a part of this disc golf course review community . I bag none in my setups, but have happily moved a few on to buddies.

On a related note, DG, in my experience, has more of this sort of talk than any other sport I've played. Tennis, soccer, hockey, golf, don't seem to have these types of discussions as much.

When I played golf, I heard discussions of this sort ALL the time. Especially regarding balls.

When I played golf, I heard discussions of this sort ALL the time. Especially regarding balls.

Valid point, to an extent. One of my friends only played with Titleists but most of us used whatever was on sale, other than Topflites, which none of us ever would use. I nver met many people who would only play a certain brand, but certainly some people do. I never visit/visited "golf ball discussion boards" so perhaps this kind of debate rages on constantly there and I'm just unaware of it:)

Valid point, to an extent. One of my friends only played with Titleists but most of us used whatever was on sale, other than Topflites, which none of us ever would use. I nver met many people who would only play a certain brand, but certainly some people do. I never visit/visited "golf ball discussion boards" so perhaps this kind of debate rages on constantly there and I'm just unaware of it:)

Just like disc golf, once you become proficient, you find that a certain ball suits your game. I used to have 5 handicap before I found disc golf and absolutely only played one kind of ball... always. Everyone I played with was the same.

For disc golf, I only thrown one brand (or manufacturer that is) because I like them and they perform, but additionally, my sponsor requires it. I get some tournament entry fees paid for, so I'll always take the $$ assistance.

.....On a related note, DG, in my experience, has more of this sort of talk than any other sport I've played. Tennis, soccer, hockey, golf, don't seem to have these types of discussions as much....

^^^I mostly play on a disc/ball course and ball golfers definitely have brand loyalty, but just now searched some ball golf forums and seems that some carry greatly mixed bags, which I find surprising. Never thought about it before. Different drivers, woods, irons, and putters.

Just like disc golf, once you become proficient, you find that a certain ball suits your game. I used to have 5 handicap before I found disc golf and absolutely only played one kind of ball... always. Everyone I played with was the same.

For disc golf, I only thrown one brand (or manufacturer that is) because I like them and they perform, but additionally, my sponsor requires it. I get some tournament entry fees paid for, so I'll always take the $$ assistance.

Yeah, it seems ball loyalty is more of a thing than I thought. Of course, I was never better than decent, having only ever shot in the mid 80s at best. Most of my friends were the same, only one or two were really hard over on what brand of ball, more about the cost. Another reason to love DG. I've bought a ton of plastic in the 1.5 years I've been playing but haven't spent a fraction of the money I spent on golf over the years.

If you are sponsored, that's a different matter entirely. Of course, you wouldn't agree to be sponsored by some company whose products didn't perform to your standards, so it stands to reason hat you like the products made by your sponsor.

^^^I mostly play on a disc/ball course and ball golfers definitely have brand loyalty, but just now searched some ball golf forums and seems that some carry greatly mixed bags, which I find surprising. Never thought about it before. Different drivers, woods, irons, and putters.

Yeah, I used Callaway and Adams drivers, Taylor Made faiway woods, a Nike trouble wood, Wilson irons, an Alien wedge, and a truckload of different putters (I am the same way with DG, putters are an addiction). My bag was always mixed.

I can't think of any product in any other sport that is as varied, specific, and personal as discs are to disc golfers.

I've known some hobbies that were like that---photography, for one (Canon vs. Nikon vs. ????). With the caveat that it's hard to have a mixed bag in camera equipment, since the lenses aren't interchangeable.

I like Dynamic Discs for their Lucid plastic and because they make two of my favorite molds, the Truth and the Escape. They also sponsor a local player.

I generally like throwing all one brand and so I look to them first for other spots in my bag. Mostly because I like the plastic, but also because I like having things be the same. I also throw Lattitude 64 and Westside if DD doesn't make the disc I want, but they're basically the same.

That said, I love my Champion Teebirds, my Z-Meteor, and S-line FD Jackal. I haven't found a DD replacement for those yet.

In the winter, I throw a different bag that consists mostly of Innove G-star plastic. I like the G-star in the cold weather better than any other plastic. I do put a Fluid Judge and Truth in also.

Discraft fairways have too much turn for me but I love their mids. Lat 64 Opto plastic is nice and I throw a few of them. MVP is nice but I find them too slick when wet.

So I have a few reasons for brand loyalty, but it's not complete loyalty. I do mix others in if I like their stuff.

I can't think of any product in any other sport that is as varied, specific, and personal as discs are to disc golfers.

I've known some hobbies that were like that---photography, for one (Canon vs. Nikon vs. ????). With the caveat that it's hard to have a mixed bag in camera equipment, since the lenses aren't interchangeable.

I used to dabble in photography a lot back a few years ago...and the lenses can be interchanged with adaptors. It actually has a cult following of sorts shooting nikon with canon glass and vise versa. Never understood it myself why you'd wanna do that buttttt....

I'd wager that conclusions about significant performance differences across different manufacturers is experienced by the player to be greater than it actually is. Wish we could create an alternative universe where we didn't know specific discs/plastics by sight or feel, so we could then do blind testing.

I'd wager that conclusions about significant performance differences across different manufacturers is experienced by the player to be greater than it actually is. Wish we could create an alternative universe where we didn't know specific discs/plastics by sight or feel, so we could then do blind testing.

That'd actually be a neat experiment. Bin full of discs with no stamps and no identifying markings, people throw and see what they like. Then reveal what they are. Of course the die hard nerds among you (not I, not enogh experience) would be able to probably guess manufacturers by the plastics. But those results would be interesting. How funny would it be for Mcbeth to fall in love with a nuke or ricky a destroyer or something like that lol

i have lot tried lots of molds from most companies. there are some i like and some i dont like. if i dont like it i go and sell it or trade it away.

in the bginning of my dg career it was all about one company. amd then another. finally after searching hi and low every company had the same or similar stuff. no real reason to be loyal to only one company.

if i do have to declare, it would probably be westside, vibram and mvp/axiom thay take up the most real estate in my bags.

With all the options out there, I have no interest in being loyal to just one manufacturer.

For some people, this is an argument for being, well, if not loyal, then exclusive.

Not everyone's interested in trying hundreds of models from a half-dozen or more manufacturers. Simplicity is a virtue for them.

For those who love all of the options, and the excitement of trying something new, the competition's a Godsend. And it would drive them crazy to stick to one line, and always wonder if the grass was greener, elsewhere.

Myself? I'm neither. My active bag has 17 discs from 5 manufacturers, but I'm not into trying all of the options; I've just happened on ones that suit me. For all but a few, I could replace them with something else, with little gain or loss.

Latest posts