• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Break in period

Base-line and Mid-grade plaatics usually seasons too quickly on the wooded courses near me so it is financially pointless to try to cycle anything less than Star/Champ. G* is too floppy for my FH.

Pro is ridiculous. The first Pro Wraith I ever had went from perfect to completely flippy in little time and for no apparent reason. The disc didn't sustain any bad scrapes or dings. Just one day it decided it wasn't going to fly properly anymore.

A new Pro Wraith is one of the best flying discs there are. It flies true to its flight numbers too. Too bad it doesn't last.

I haven't bagged a Pro disc since.

If there's a hole in my bag, I fill it with a new disc. I prefer my holes appear on the overstable side of things, but I'll throw a Stratus in there if I need to.

Buy multiples at a time. Try to make sure they're the same run. Switch them in and out so you have backups.

I love Innova GStar Plastic for beating in nicely in a short amount of time, as well as the grip in the winter- I have a seasoned Gstar Tbird that flies much straighter than a New Champ TL-

Just got a new Gstar Wraith, once the "new" has been knocked off it, It will fly nice and straight on a flat release, and hold the hyzer lines perfectly

I cycle discs fairly heavily in my bag with the Gazelle, OLF and Zone. I wouldn't do it any other way. At least for me, having a consistent feel of discs helps my game as well as knowing how the disc will change over time.

The Champ Gazelle in my bag has been there for 8 months and it has significantly changed flight. What do people that don't cycle do with a disc once it hits that point? Just have a pile of worn discs sitting around?

The semi-premium (Trilogy Recycled) works for me with Giants and Felons, but did not work out for me with the Saint. That disc just got unpredictable too quickly.

Its takes a lot of throwing to season premium, but oh man is it worth it. I've got a light weight Opto Saint that shows a nice, predictable progressive turnover and stays turned now. It has held its current stability most of this year and is a sick turnover machine.

I have found that visions work well as a pre seasoned saint, or at least close enough to fill the slot while are getting the next saint worked in.

...What do people that don't cycle do with a disc once it hits that point?
I don't know, I wondered the same thing. I've got 3 guesses:
-Donate to new players
-Sell
-Hoard

To answer the OP, here is my strategy for breaking in discs:
-let noobs use the discs I cycle such as putters, Rocs or Comets. Occasionally I will loan out fairways if the person is ready for the speed.
-The disc speeds are appropriate for noobs so they don't start out learning terrible technique
-they will hit a lot of trees so discs break in faster
-they give them back to me after a while because they get G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) and buy more.
- really, it's win/win. They get into the sport, I help them learn good technique, I get seasoned discs out of it!

I throw premium plastic because I want the discs to last a long time and not change much over time. That said, I think trying to season a champion or Z disc is impossible. You're better off just finding a mold you like when the disc is new.

The courses I play don't beat up discs and it would take artificial measures to season a champion disc enough to change the flight of it.

The main problem here is Innova. Lately they're molding everything way more stable than in years past. All their drivers lately are coming out beefy as hell.

Oh man, you should pack up your champ stuff and come play a few rounds up here in the PNW with us. You could pachinko off like twenty trees before you clear the red pad from blues. You'll have a bag full of turnover discs in no time.

What's funny is watching a bunch of people who only play wooded courses try to read the wind on the rare occasion that it picks up and youve got a wide open fairway.

...in the PNW... pachinko off like twenty trees before you clear the red pad from the blues...
LOL, same thing here in Mid-Atlantic Appalachia!
...What's funny is watching a bunch of people who only play wooded courses try to read the wind on the rare occasion that it picks up and youve got a wide open fairway.
we just opened a new course in an industrial park and 8 out of 9 holes are out in the open. There are two notable things this course has taught me:
#1: I love open holes
#2: I'm downright terrible in the wind :)

Everyone, thank you for the GREAT feedback.

To answer a common question back to me as the original poster.

My disc change is:

I really love a DX Viking. 170-172. When it is new, it's a usable and straight to slightly overstable for me. As it breaks, it becomes a straight flyer, then a nice turnover disc. Since it is my go-to and I play wooded holes a lot, in about 3 months it is becomes "nerf'ed out" and too understable. Mega hyper flip or Roller disc.

So I'm looking for a replacement for it in star.

Tried a G-Star CD2 168, which I was unimpressed with. Oddly performed nothing like my new DX vikings, with close to identical flight ratings.

Cycled in a Star Valkerie 171. Comes out overstable when new. It is going to take a while to break. One day it should be nice (tree hits)

Now at the suggestion of lower weight I am working on a Star Sidewinder 166. In new condition, it does have less low speed fade than the valkerie. But I still can't turn it over at all.

Maybe an even lighter weight Sidewinder? It feels weird to order one that is 160g but maybe it could turn over in new condition.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I like to stick with Innova and Discmania .

Thank you!

Happy holidays.

Tim

The Star Sidewinder should get there in time. Maybe try a gstar in a similar weight?

Depends on how much you play.

If you go out here and there, I think its better to find discs that fly how you want when they are new.

If you play frequently, you're going to break in discs. Might as well cycle to a degree, otherwise it gets expensive and wasteful retiring discs every 6-12 months.

Plus a lot of broken in discs can be even better than new ones. For example I bag Resistors, and the one I've thrown for years is my favorite of them all. Same with Volts, I have a Proton one that's seasoned nicely, straight laser beam.

There's also something to be said for that familiar feel. I think it helps with consistency have 3 stages of wear from the same mold VS having three different molds with various wing shapes.

In the end most players are going to do a little bit of both. Don't get too hung up on either side of the coin ;)

I'm a cycler, but I spent some time in the "when new" camp. After hundreds/thousands of throw with a disc, i developed a lot more confidence in it than I ever did when it was new (why anyone would bench a disc they've thrown for so long is beyond me). When it seasoned to replace a fresh disc in a different bag spot, I pull that freshie for the seasoned one and add a new disc into the spot the seasoned disc used to fill. If I happen to lose the seasoned disc, I still have the freshie it replaced that can substitute (doesn't take long to relearn) while I'm working in a new replacement.

Best of both worlds.

Latest posts