• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking in a disc

keithgarcia

So Ive had a Beast for a few months and the thing is still pretty stable. Aside from continuously throwing, are there any ways to speed up the "breaking in" process?

What kind of plastic is it? Oh and welcome to DGCR!

Last edited:
I havent found any good ones. I do use a little trick on the teepad though that helps me control better and get a little more out of my discs. Its like breaking in while not breaking in(pic below).
If you want to actually break them in you can go to a test field and throw thumbers or tomahawks straight up and let them come down into the ground, or throw rollers either on the test field or just messing around on hole to hole. Best of luck to you.

Send it to me. Ill beat the hell out of it on some wooded courses and send it back to you when it loses all stability.

Play in the woods!

No seriously, we throw a lot in the woods around here & tree-smacking will loosen up a disc's personality faster than anything.
Faster method: find a dead tree laying on the ground & start throwing the disc at this tree trunk a good 10-20 times. She'll be good in no time! :popcorn:

Play on more densely wooded courses and throw at 100%. Problem fixed.

Or check to see if there is flashing and sand it down or just rub it vigorously on some concrete.

Another way is to sell it and get a pro beast.:)

I second removing the flashing via sandpaper or concrete/carpet. Quickest way and requires the least amount of effort.

Yeah, really. Hitting trees would take forever, bashing it into a wall sounds sketchy. Just sand off any flashing, you can even hit the outer wing a few times. Then rub the bottom of the disc around a bit on a concrete tee, asphalt, etc., do the outer wing as well.

Remove any flashing (sharp feeling on your pointer finger) on the bottom with 100 grit sandpaper.

So Ive had a Beast for a few months and the thing is still pretty stable. Aside from continuously throwing, are there any ways to speed up the "breaking in" process?

My advice may sound redundant, but 'don't'. Don't break it in further.

I believe breaking in discs is really an older process that is no longer needed. Back in the day when disc options were much fewer, and the plastic options were just as small, there was a huge need to carry discs in different points of wear, so you can have consistent understable, stable, and overstable flight patterns.

My point is, if you have a dx Beast, then the breaking in process will not take long. But if you have a Star or Champion Beast, those plastics were built to hold their current state for a very long time. My advice would be buy a Valkyrie in the same plastic and weight, so you will have the options of the more stable flight, and the less stable flight.

If you develop the habit of using a disc in it's prime, you will find replacing them is much easier than beating in a new one to that point. Also, they stay at that stability much longer.

My 2 cents.

My advice may sound redundant, but 'don't'. Don't break it in further.

I believe breaking in discs is really an older process that is no longer needed. Back in the day when disc options were much fewer, and the plastic options were just as small, there was a huge need to carry discs in different points of wear, so you can have consistent understable, stable, and overstable flight patterns.

My point is, if you have a dx Beast, then the breaking in process will not take long. But if you have a Star or Champion Beast, those plastics were built to hold their current state for a very long time. My advice would be buy a Valkyrie in the same plastic and weight, so you will have the options of the more stable flight, and the less stable flight.

If you develop the habit of using a disc in it's prime, you will find replacing them is much easier than beating in a new one to that point. Also, they stay at that stability much longer.

My 2 cents.

I agree with you pretty much, but I think must all discs need the "new" knocked out of them to get them to their "true" flight.

Latest posts