• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Breaking in Putters

KeithMiller

I really need to get my putting game on track, so I just purchased 5 new aviar putters, the same weights as my JK pro that I use in my bag. My question- is there any good way to break in putters outside of general wear? Each of these putters is really rigid and I want to get a more flexible feel as quickly as possible with them. What do you suggest?

Go to a park and lay out a "tree course" After hitting 18 trees they should be well broken in. Also, play a whole round somewhere with just your putter.

I personally do not know of a good way to break in putters outside of what Midnightbiker suggested, but I would like to make another suggestion when you play with 5 putters. You also want to make sure that whatever you do to break them in, you do it to all discs evenly.
I am currently playing with 6 different Wizards and the one thing that I am trying to do is make sure they break in at the same rate. I have put a roman numeral on the bottom of each disc so I will be able to rotate all discs for round play. I have also considered putting a dot on the bottom of each disc for each round played for the occasions that I play multiple rounds per trip just to make it more even. I know this is not what you were asking but I thought even break in, would be just as important to you if you are using 5 discs for the same purpose.

I use two aviar (BB, AND REG) for my main putters but would like something for the 50 + foot range putts. Do you think a Challenger would be good for this? The new ESP FLX?

I had two of the Jawbreaker plastic Magnets and after asking somebody online if they get a tad softer over time I did 10 second in microwave 10 seconds in freezer. I did this cycle 3 times then used them a bit hitting a pole practice putting. That is how I broke that disc in. If it was a baseline plastic or ones like it, I would recommend only 1 of the cycle and maybe even only 3-5 seconds in microwave starting with lower amount. If it was old Pro D before 2006 or any plastic like that I would just putt really close to a basket over and over hard to break it in. Now other plastic like Champion I would only do 1 pass of the cycle of 10 seconds in Microwave and 10 seconds in freezer. The Pro, X, and like plastic I would say same as baseline. Star plastic I would do 1 or 2 passes of the cycle but check to make sure it is where you want the disc. G Star I say do not do as those disc are fairly soft for a disc anyhow and just throw them at a tree, wall, or bolder over and over again. Stiff plastic like KC Pro use a tree or basket method like the stiff old pre 2006 Pro D Plastic.

Last edited:
Wouldnt 3 minutes in a microwave melt a putter? Doesn't seem like this information was worth the Necro-bump. Idk use your putters, they break in it's really very simple.

Hopefully there's no metal flake in the stamp, or you could end up with a melted putter.

I found out the hard way once that there was metal flake in the print on a napkin one time, started a fire in the microwave

3-5 minutes in the microwave and they'll be plenty soft.

Yeah, I tried this wives-tale once, after 30 seconds it blew a hole in the rim and splattered melted plastic.

Maybe it depends on plastic, but it's a lesson learned and I won't repeat it.

Just go to a wooded course and play an afternoon of putter only rounds. It will improve more than just your putters too.

Yeah, I tried this wives-tale once, after 30 seconds it blew a hole in the rim and splattered melted plastic.

Maybe it depends on plastic, but it's a lesson learned and I won't repeat it.

Just go to a wooded course and play an afternoon of putter only rounds. It will improve more than just your putters too.

So your saying dubious advice about microwaving your putters didn't work!?

Find a putter you can use, out of the box. Then when they "break in", read worn out, in my book.....donate them.

I think depending on a set of putters to reach their sweet spot, is simply providing an excuse for putting woes.

I can see this. My wizards work fantastic out of the box. But with a little time they become something mythical. I love my broke in twins. And have replacements for them. But I can use them brand new without much difference. I do agree with you slightly though about SOME people looking for excuses. A buddy of mine has a fresh putter every time we play (2x/month) and hes compkaining about it's not sweet yet. Ask him what happened to the brand new one he just bought that shoukd have 2 weeks wear on it. "Ummmmmm", riiiight.... STFU and miss your putt dude. LOL

If the plastic is too firm, the microwave isn't going to help. The plastic would just cool to be firm again. I really don't think anything but use will soften the plastic.

If the plastic is too firm, the microwave isn't going to help. The plastic would just cool to be firm again. I really don't think anything but use will soften the plastic.
Heat might actually break down the plastic a bit, so you can leave your discs outside in the sun to soften them. I had a friend who used to leave Wizards in the back window of his car prior to SSS plastic and it really did seem to work. His Wizards were crazy/soft compared to the roof-shingle stiffness they started with. It took a long time, though. You had to leave them in the car for quite some time.

The story I heard about Gateway creating SSS plastic was that George Smith was Gateway-sponsored and liked a really soft putter, so they were leaving Wizards out in a practice basket in Dave's yard to soften them up for him. They decided to just create a plastic that soft out of the box for him, and it sold.

I always assumed that was where the microwave myth came from, trying to quickly reproduce the sunlight trick. I think the sunlight either breaks down the plastic or it's the process of heating/cooling repeatedly that works. The microwave seems like a really bad idea.

Heat might actually break down the plastic a bit, so you can leave your discs outside in the sun to soften them. I had a friend who used to leave Wizards in the back window of his car prior to SSS plastic and it really did seem to work. His Wizards were crazy/soft compared to the roof-shingle stiffness they started with. It took a long time, though. You had to leave them in the car for quite some time.

The story I heard about Gateway creating SSS plastic was that George Smith was Gateway-sponsored and liked a really soft putter, so they were leaving Wizards out in a practice basket in Dave's yard to soften them up for him. They decided to just create a plastic that soft out of the box for him, and it sold.

I always assumed that was where the microwave myth came from, trying to quickly reproduce the sunlight trick. I think the sunlight either breaks down the plastic or it's the process of heating/cooling repeatedly that works. The microwave seems like a really bad idea.

Didn't Ken Climo put discs on the roof of his house to let the sun heat them up?

And agree that microwaves are not a good alternate way to accomplish what the sun does to discs....