• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

breating technique?

I try to not think too much as it is, then alone think about breathing.

Breathing out from the hit makes sense. I think thats why in many sporting activities you hear then yell, like a tenis player hitting the ball, or a karate guy breaking a board

It's actually quite the opposite. Once you understand HOW to use your breathing - it becomes just a way to relax and clear your mind. In the reference I made, I talk about the relation to the exhale that you mention.

In martial arts many exhale during any strike for maximum effect. There is a difference between exhaling and yelling or "kiai" in that exhaling serves a certain purpose (forcing oxygen into the bloodstream and muscles, causes a stronger core body for the strike to come from, timing, and a couple other things) where the yelling serves those purposes and a few more (makes you confident, suppose to make the opponent less confident, more releasing of energy and some other spiritual stuff). Most professional fighters (mma, boxing, wrestlers, est.) don't yell but do exhale which is why you always here boxers making those little wispy noises. Some go as far to wear swimming goggles and a snorkel during training to learn to exhale and inhale stronger. And trust me, you want to learn to exhale in martial arts, you never want to get punched in the chest or gut when you're inhaling... sucks hard.

But as for the benefits in dg... exhale through the throw. I hear a lot of people do it all the time... it may even be natural.

I got so excited to check this thread and find out what breating was. Seriously not being a stickler for spelling, but I really thought it was something new.

I take a few deep breath before I throw, get oxygen to my muscles and relaxes me.

I pant like a rabid dog, look at all the nearby scenery, fart, and then just make the damn putt. Blowing air out of your backside relaxes you better than anything. Try it, you'll like it.

I wouldn't imagine any advantage of holding your breath when you throw, muscles work better with more oxygen getting to them. Your supposed to breath when your lifting weights.

Shooters (not just snipers) hold their breath to halt/steady the the up/down motion that breathing causes. Also, pulling a trigger with only a few lbs of resistance doesnt require much energy.

Throwing a disc (or ball or punch) does require some more physical energy and exhaling on impact (or the hit) will maximize that.

Just like your lifting weights- exhale at the hit. for drives this is easy to understand, but for putting it makes a big difference- I notice most people dont breath properly during putts. When I give tips/lessons the breathing tip helps people's putting by a big margin ( w/ in 20 respectivley)

It would be better to let all of the air out of your lungs. They teach this to military snipers before pulling the trigger, they also teach long, deep breathes before that as well to calm your nerves and lower your heart rate. Before each putt I take a breathe and let it out and when all of the air is out of my lungs I take the putt.

Shooters (not just snipers) hold their breath to halt/steady the the up/down motion that breathing causes. Also, pulling a trigger with only a few lbs of resistance doesnt require much energy.

The proper technique is to let HALF of the air out of your lungs, then slowly press the trigger until you get a surprise break. Letting all of the air out of your lungs will actually cause your heart-rate to increase slightly (try it), and most people that are into precision shooting use the term 'press' rather than 'pull/squeeze' the trigger.

Latest posts