• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Broken Ring on Innova DisCatcher

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
I was hoping someone knew what welding method should be used. Or if there's a better way to fix it.

Welding galvanized steel can produce some toxic fumes... but something that small shouldn't be a big deal.

You are talking about the bottom rings that hold the chains in place, right? About 3" in diameter give or take?

Response 1: Is it dumping the putts? If not, wtf are you pissing about? Play it, or whine to Innova!
Response 2: I'd try warranty first, and if that's left field, go for sleeving the break or welding as a last resort.

Any welder will work if you can get the basket into a shop or have a portable unit. Might be easier to braze it in the field with MAPP and a torch. Try to get off the galvanizing first if you can.

You are talking about the bottom rings that hold the chains in place, right? About 3" in diameter give or take?

Yes.

Response 1: Is it dumping the putts? If not, wtf are you pissing about? Play it, or whine to Innova!
Response 2: I'd try warranty first, and if that's left field, go for sleeving the break or welding as a last resort.

1) It's only a practice basket; I don't care about playing to it or anything, just like my course to be maintained.

2) Not sure about the warranty. I'll definitely be giving a sleeve a try though. Thanks.

Any welder will work if you can get the basket into a shop or have a portable unit. Might be easier to braze it in the field with MAPP and a torch. Try to get off the galvanizing first if you can.

Got a portable, could get it to the shop. Thanks for the info.

As was said, any process would work, though I'd stay away from brazing. MIG, Flux Core or stick would be the top 3. Since you can get it indoors, MIG would be my top bet. 95% of my shop work is all MIG...faster, easier and cleaner. Just be sure to remove the galv first. MIG and galv makes for ugly welds that look like Swiss cheese. After you are done, be sure to hit the repair with cold galv to protect it. The best on the market is ZRC. The brush on version is as close to hot dip as you can get with a cold galv. Stuff isn't cheap, but well worth it if you can find it.

http://www.zrcworldwide.com/p_zrc.asp

Even simpler solution, I took a stainless bicycle spoke (should cost about $1 or less at any bike shop) and fashioned it into a hoop. Its been working for a few years now with no problems.

Latest posts