• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BS review of Black Falls DGCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Betts

Par Member
I find it amusing to see how many people think the recent review of Black Falls is so helpful. It was a malicious attack on the course plain and simple. All you A holes on this site that think this is funny grow up and go **** yourselves. I work hard to maintain and provide a nice course for you all.. I do this out of the love for the game and for you to all enjoy.

Peace
Johnny B

I find it amusing to see how many people think the recent review of Black Falls is so helpful. It was a malicious attack on the course plain and simple. All you A holes on this site that think this is funny grow up and go **** yourselves. I work hard to maintain and provide a nice course for you all.. I do this out of the love for the game and for you to all enjoy.

Peace
Johnny B

BS reviews happen to every course and I sure don't blame you for taking it personally. I glanced through the other reviews and I believe you have nothing to worry about. I mean if sidewinder22 and Discette give you a 4.5 anyone else reading those reviews with more than two brain cells to rub together is going to see through the one bad review and move on. Thank you for all you do for the sport. Someday I will get up your way and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

It's just a kick in the dink that's all, just like the people that don't pay greens fees and leave crap all over the course. I just feel like bitching a little right now.

Played the course this summer twice, once for practice and once at the GMPS tourney. Your course is stellar. Keep up the good work and dont worry too much about one malicious review.

It's just a kick in the dink that's all, just like the people that don't pay greens fees and leave crap all over the course. I just feel like bitching a little right now.

Good for you! The average DGer is gonna be that guy. Chase them off, off and embrace the decent people.

We do not get much traffic on the course because of its remote location. We heavily depend on word of mouth and sites like DGCR to attract players. One bad review is one too many. Operating costs far outweigh any money we collect in greens fees. Our goal is to be able to break even someday. All our greens fees go into course maintenance and improvements.

My info page briefly addresses this issue with the site (or maybe human nature) in general, but my feeling is that one must take a review for what it's really worth (little or nothing) and remember your true motivations for involvement. Over time a course's 'true number' will certainly emerge...

Just to put things into perspective for the spoiled new generation of players, I remember a time when just hearing of a new course was cause for genuine elation, despite the probable 3.5 to 4 hour drive to play it. The only source of information about all the courses available was a small pamphlet, less than 100 pages, put out by the PDGA (if I remember correctly). Directions in the book were often of the type provided by a 'stereotypical' inarticulate local and were certainly not cross-referenced with GPS coordinates, or accompanied by pictures, course maps, hole distances and the like. What ever happened to the spirit of adventure? Is 'certain' people's time really that valuable? Viewed in perspective, any individual who leaves a churlish review need be the subject of laughter and more importantly, pity. Only a tiny shriveled soul fails to find anything genuinely positive about a disc golf outing - psychological infirmities aside.

In certain ways, things are looking up! But isn't it strange how fiercely we remember a single instance of mild criticism, most likely vindictive, instead of the steady stream of compliments and affirmations?

I'm currently on a state by state road trip and have added your course to my wish list thanks to this thread. Hope to be there in a week or so.

From the reviewer's bio I'd say we're about at the same skill level, so I should be able to give you another viewpoint. My guess is the guy had a really bad round/day and decided to take it out on the course.

Why are you upset, its not possible to please everybody. Everybody has a different style of play and different levels of expectations for a highly rated course. Criticism is good. It shows you potential things to improve upon. Its not an attack on the course its the guys opinion of the course. I have rated highly rated courses very low because that was my opinion of the course. Its not an attack, its on opinion and one that should be accepted for what it is. Just take the information in and move on.

Being in a very similar position, my advice is.....relax.

Your response to his review was appropriate, and should cover it for any future potential visitors.

And ignore the thumbs (here and everywhere). They never mean much. And in this case, the thumbers don't know if the course conditions were as bad as the reviewer states, but if I read a review saying a course is overgrown, I'll assume it's true, and consider that very helpful.

When you open yourself up to public comment, you have to take the bad with the good. Clearly, you've got a lot of the good on your side.

With his ever present sense of rationality, I'd like to send Mr. Sauls to Washington... but I like the guy too much to wish that for him.

You guys are all spot on and I thank you for all the rational replies. It's been a while since I felt a little butt hurt. I guess that's a good thing.....

As a course designer I get tired of BS reviews of my courses as well. Its frustrating that a low skilled reviewer can have a bad round and decide to take it out on the course. The types of people looking at the course ratings may not understand that the reviewers aren't always experienced or skilled enough to have the perspective to review courses. Waiting for the system to balance itself out to me is not working, I wish we had some way to dispute these BS reviews.

You guys are all spot on and I thank you for all the rational replies. It's been a while since I felt a little butt hurt. I guess that's a good thing.....

I'm a course owner of a course which is remote, lightly played, and even more lightly reviewed. So each review has an impact.

We've been fortunate not to have any bad reviews---but have heard some bashing, mostly secondhand. It's not pleasant, but we offset it against the number of people who like the course, and move on.

And even I'll say that it might be a 4.5 much of the time, it's far less at times in the summer, when the vegetation is winning the maintenance battle.

FYI - with this review, Black Falls now falls out of the top 25 and Smuggler's Notch Brewster Ridge takes over the honors for highest rated course in Vermont. I only played Black Falls because it WAS on the top 25 list and it WAS the top rated course in Vermont.

I imagine SN Brewster Ridge and Black Falls will be switching places as the top course in Vermont and on the Top 25 list as each course is reviewed.

So, how is it that timg has submitted a perfect comment on the course condition ? It sounds like the course was let go?

Last edited:
The guy who gave it a 1.5 had the course marked as bad. I changed it to perfect because that is what it is. The course has never looked or played better. At first I though he may have paid at Black Falls then drove up the road and played the exctint Cherry Hill course which still has baskets and some signs.

Although I am clearly not a "renowned" reviewer to any stretch of comparison, I do think there are reviews which are too subjective based on the player's round. I remember playing storr's pond the first couple of times and wanting to write a review akin to "impossible lines, overgrown forest", etc. However, after checking myself and comparing those emotions to how others saw the course, it became clear that my initial negativity towards the course was because of my own poor performance.

Perhaps we can find solutions to this issue:
1) enable a retort of a review from either the owner or a serious local players who has played the course multiple times. This would be similar to how Google play enables creator responses for apps
2) simplify the reviews greatly. This would likely be less desirable for the community at large given that this is a review website. However, my thought on reading reviews is, "does this review suggest that the review would come back?" I rarely care about the numerical review score
3) post the reviewer's average score at the course they are reviewing, next to the spot in the review where it states when the last time they played the course was. This would be able to better detect "performance bias" within the review

Status
Not open for further replies.