• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Build the worst 5 disc bag, and I'll compete with it.

I assumed this would be polar bear hunting season for you normally. Or whatever it is you do for a living.

Putter-Zone (since you won't throw a Stego)
Mid-Drone
Mid-Justice
Driver-Stilleto
Driver-Slab

Keep us posted.

A lot of oop and hard to find discs are being suggested.

I'll make it easy.
The Franklin disc golf set. Buy two sets so you have backups of the midrange and driver.

81AopWwWqAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These can be purchased at Amazon.com.
https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Spo...258&sprefix=franklin+disc+golf,aps,163&sr=8-6

Be aware that if you play a tournament with these discs, your card will all think that you are an idiot.

A lot of oop and hard to find discs are being suggested.

I'll make it easy.
The Franklin disc golf set. Buy two sets so you have backups of the midrange and driver.

Be aware that if you play a tournament with these discs, your card will all think that you are an idiot.

Let's stick with PDGA approved discs since I'll likely be playing a PDGA event.

I'm not even really sure there are discs that can be considered the "worst". I think what really makes a disc bad for someone is their unfamiliarity with it. Thus, any disc you're not familiar with would probably lead to bad scoring.

I personally hate the Westside Sorcerer, but you might think it's the best driver out there.

To recommend which discs are worst for you, we'd have to know what models and weights you currently throw.

Part of the idea behind this experiment is there may be no worst discs. Worst for me? Well, none are unfamiliar since there are only few flights (relative to the number of molds/stamps). After a few throws I'll know what I've got and how to use it according to my own abilities.

The worst would likely be the least versatile, which probably means the super extremes of over/under stability. That's why I tried to guard against having a bunch of the same thing. That wouldn't really prove anything about "bad" discs.

I assumed this would be polar bear hunting season for you normally. Or whatever it is you do for a living.

Mid-Drone
Mid-Justice
Driver-Stilleto
Driver-Slab

Keep us posted.

I've got all of these except a slab, and agree that this would be a challenging bag, but... Drone and Justice are more or less the same thing, and so are Slab and Stiletto. The challenge wouldn't be the bad discs, it would be the lack of versatility.

Bag 18 dx Rocs. Number them #1 - 18. Drive, upshot, and putt with each on their respective holes.
At the completion of each hole, prostrate yourself before a card mate that outscored you, offering your Roc as recompense for having to put up with your inferior play.
If you get the box, turn to your card mates and give them the finger yelling, "you suck!!!"

Walk away from the tournament knowing you won't be invited back, but assured that your card mates will forever after prefer the Buzzz.

Is it just me or do I bag some of the "worst" discs?

ESP Rattler - Check
Star Sonic - Check
DX Wolf - Check
X Stratus - Check
Zero Hard Spike - Check

I guess this is why my game is so bad :doh:

Are the Park & Sun discs that come with the Costco baskets PDGA approved? I think those would qualify as some "bad" discs.

According to Infinite discs users these are the worst discs that they have in stock;

Drivers;
D model Us
F model OS
H4
Wahoo
Groove
Dragon
River Pro
Hu

Mid;
Roc+
Tensor

Putter;
Birdie

It seems like most people are more lenient with midranges in cutters for ratings than drivers. I would throw in a wolf to the mid range section.

This is a BRILLIANT idea, the ultimate "archer not the arrow" experiment.

Putter: Any extremely lightweight lid, because wind or lack of finesse will send it off to who knows where. Lightning Upshots in 80–119g are currently available at GGGT, as are 113g Polecats at DGC. An Ultrastar could also work, because I think it's size will keep it from sticking in the basket very well.
Mid: Again, one of the insanely lightweight Lightning discs, although it looks like none of their mids are in stock in that ideal 120–130g range except for the #1 Hyzer, which is probably too overstable for this slot. Alternately, Wolf.
Mid: Justice
Driver: Lightning MX-1 at 80–119g, in stock at GGGT. Alternately, 137g Blizz Katana, in stock at DGC.
Driver: Groove

I think the key is to think of this as a bad *bag*, not a collection of five bad discs. There's definitely a place for a Justice in a good bag, for example, and I don't think Lightning discs deserve the scorn heaped upon them. The theory behind my bag here is that all the discs are either hard to control and/or glideless and/or extremely overstable.

This is a BRILLIANT idea, the ultimate "archer not the arrow" experiment.

Putter: Any extremely lightweight lid, because wind or lack of finesse will send it off to who knows where. Lightning Upshots in 80–119g are currently available at GGGT, as are 113g Polecats at DGC. An Ultrastar could also work, because I think it's size will keep it from sticking in the basket very well.
Mid: Again, one of the insanely lightweight Lightning discs, although it looks like none of their mids are in stock in that ideal 120–130g range except for the #1 Hyzer, which is probably too overstable for this slot. Alternately, Wolf.
Mid: Justice
Driver: Lightning MX-1 at 80–119g, in stock at GGGT. Alternately, 137g Blizz Katana, in stock at DGC.
Driver: Groove

I think the key is to think of this as a bad *bag*, not a collection of five bad discs. There's definitely a place for a Justice in a good bag, for example, and I don't think Lightning discs deserve the scorn heaped upon them. The theory behind my bag here is that all the discs are either hard to control and/or glideless and/or extremely overstable.

After playing for a few weeks, it seems to me this experiment is about over. It is definitively, the archer. I really have NO idea what the premise of this idea could be. Maybe the regular challenges of the game are not enough for the OP. I can't imagine looking to find new discs, by asking for crappy suggestions. If I want to throw some plastic, that I don't really jive with, I will go pull some out of the garage. :doh:

I would suggest another interesting way to do this would be to say, here's my bag:

wizards
buzzzes
teebirds
firebirds
destroyers

and then have someone swap each one for a competitor's clone. I think these days when someone says "discs don't really matter" they mean this in the sense that playing with one manufacturer over another, or even switching sponsors is not as disruptive as one might think.

Worst discs are relative to the power level of the player and their ability to adapt their throwing mechanics to the disc versus forcing the disc to adapt. My girlfriend is a newer, avid player, not starting until her 60s. She really couldn't throw sharper edged golf discs, even very light ones that well, and when she did get the rare helix flight, it was still only 125 feet or so.

Her current bag would likely have some discs that would make the worst list for many of you. Her putter is a Blowfly (rubber), Mid: Mirage, Drivers: Condors 123g, 150 g, Lightning #2 Drivers, 140g, 158g. She has gotten four other women in their 60s into the sport and they are loving the same mix of discs because they can throw them with some predictability. With all five putting with navy blue Blowflys, they've had to mark both sides to avoid confusion.

Mid-Drone
Mid-Justice
Driver-Stilleto
Driver-Slab

Keep us posted.

I like this one. All varying degrees of overstable. You will wreck his form in 2 rounds or less!

I've got all of these except a slab, and agree that this would be a challenging bag, but... Drone and Justice are more or less the same thing, and so are Slab and Stiletto. The challenge wouldn't be the bad discs, it would be the lack of versatility.

I've never thrown the Slab and Stiletto, but a Drone and Justice are very different discs. You'd need to give a Justice a tremendous amount of anhyzer to get it to fly like a Drone.

Part of the idea behind this experiment is there may be no worst discs. Worst for me? Well, none are unfamiliar since there are only few flights (relative to the number of molds/stamps). After a few throws I'll know what I've got and how to use it according to my own abilities.

The worst would likely be the least versatile, which probably means the super extremes of over/under stability. That's why I tried to guard against having a bunch of the same thing. That wouldn't really prove anything about "bad" discs.

For me personally, the least versatile discs are anything that is super understable. You can't throw super understable discs very hard without them turning over. A disc that does nothing but flip at high speed is useless.

I guess the same could be said for super overstable molds. They have a time and place, but aren't versatile. You can't use a Monster as a long distance driver.

Putter: Birdie. Thing just sucks, period.
Mid: Innova Panther. Too flaky and understable.
Mid 2: Innova Wolf. One of the worst molds ever made. I'd also list the Stingray.
Fairway Driver: DD Witness: See above. Super flippy and just pure crap
Distance Driver: Innova Groove: Everyone already knows this is the worst distance driver on the market.

Last edited:
I've never thrown the Slab and Stiletto, but a Drone and Justice are very different discs. You'd need to give a Justice a tremendous amount of anhyzer to get it to fly like a Drone.

Here's another problem with praising or criticizing or describing discs. There are no rules.
My Drone is old. It's some rubbery plastic of a sort that seems uncommon for Discraft. It has incredible high-speed stability and mild low speed stability. Both of the Justices I've had started as super overstable discs and turned quickly into mellow fliers with strong LSS. So they're not identical, but close enough to be interchangeable.

After playing for a few weeks, it seems to me this experiment is about over. It is definitively, the archer. I really have NO idea what the premise of this idea could be. Maybe the regular challenges of the game are not enough for the OP. I can't imagine looking to find new discs, by asking for crappy suggestions. If I want to throw some plastic, that I don't really jive with, I will go pull some out of the garage. :doh:

Hmmm. Not looking to find new discs, I've thrown almost everything under the sun and found that exercise uninteresting. I do reckon the regular challenges of the competitive game are not enough. Also, I like to learn about people, and if I can be honest enough to use myself as an experiment I may learn something.

We get used to throwing what we like to throw, and seem to believe that those discs are the best for our game. I suspect this is more emotional than factual.

If so, the enormous masses of conversation, controversy, analysis, review, testing, demonstration, worship, loathing, speculation and so on surrounding discs are little more than the morsels with which the commercial trap is baited.

But there are other things too... I'd like to see how it goes before I mouth off too much.

Last edited:
I like this one. All varying degrees of overstable. You will wreck his form in 2 rounds or less!

Happily (sadly?), I have no form to wreck. I play one disc rounds with discs from the extremes of the spectrum on a regular basis. Having never gotten comfortable, at least I can't be made uncomfortable.

Latest posts