• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building from the putt back

There are two separate actions going on here: as he rises (kind of a standard standing up movement, the posterior chain engaging), his disc gets on line -- what Climo calls "painting the pole." He then gets to a point where a lateral shift happens -- note that he finishes with his pelvis 90 degrees to the basket. That's where the forward drive comes from. The knee bend engages the glute medius to brace for this shift, and translates the momentum into the upper body.

I'm still figuring out the biomechanics of the kick the can drill, but to the extent that it engages the glute med for the brace, I think it serves the same function.

I really think there is a "putting power pocket." For me, it is right below my belly button, at my center of gravity. I get the disc moving vertically in line with the pole and shift towards the basket when it hits the pocket. When it's working right, the arm is just a conduit for the energy from the legs to the disc.

Somehow Heimburg just does this with a sagittal shift instead of a lateral one.
Light bulb! I see his shoulders point at the basket (roughly) when he's done. I need to try that instead of staying square to the basket like I somehow assumed I was supposed to. :doh:

Last edited:
Light bulb! I see his shoulders point at the basket (roughly) when he's done. I need to try that instead of staying square to the basket like I somehow assumed I was supposed to. :doh:

Imagine pointing your entire body in a line towards the chain link you're aiming at in your finished position.

My stance starts a little more square but my left leg pops up and right to create a straight line to the basket.

Watch McBeth.