• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building New Course

specop7

My friends and I are working on bringing Disc Golf to our small town in Texas. We are novice players but have been playing for years. My buddy and I have a couple of pop up baskets that we take to work and throw at on breaks and have gotten many guys in to playing. We have a large park here in town and can easily fit a good 9 hole in. Park isn't used much and the city keeps up with it reagularly (mowing, downed limbs, ect.). We have discussed it with the city and have the ok to put it in as long as they don't have to pay. We were thinking of getting local merchants to sponsor some holes with donations. Any ideas on the matter would help greatly. (baskets, layout, ect.) We are located in Olney, Tx. Google Earth it if you would like to look and give us any ideas you might have. Thanks!!!

Help us spread the "Disc Golf Disease" :clap::thmbup::)

Caveat: I've never designed a course!
But if this is the park in question, and if it is bordered by 132 on the west (there's some even more interesting land over there!), then you'll be working around a practice field, the stadium field and some other elements. Disc golf is awesome because we can utilize spaces the other park activities can't.

But!!
You always need to look for safe course design. Imagine the worst thing that can happen and try to minimize risk. I doodled a totally spitball notion here of some areas for holes to go in, but even if these are plausible, you want to walk it for quite a while and toss some of the lines, see where an interesting tee might go, and how to have your basket position be accessible for a good shot, but present a little challenge.

picture.php

I'd definitely try to have a shot that carries the creek bed, but is close to (but not in line with) the bridge. I'd use the driveways over there to define some out of bounds, forcing accuracy. And I really think if you can use those woods, you'll enjoy the course more than if you have all open shots.

There are some great designers who check in here. Wonder what tips they might have. :eek:

My tip, if you must go without an experienced designer, to read everything possible from experienced designers before beginning.

I've never designed a public course but, before embarking on a private course, I read a ton of stuff from John Houck. It was invaluable.

Perhaps join the Course Designers Group; I expect they have some great resources for you.

Read the design threads here, especially the ones about bad design and dangerous design.