• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying discs for Girlfriend

I think the 150-class discs are not that great for anyone, including women. I think a great three-disc starter set for a woman would be the following:

166-178 Discraft Elite X Stratus.

Have them play with this for all shots until their shots level out, then add:

165-167 Discraft Elite X XL
170-range Omega Super Soft putter

Just my .02

Gotta disagree with the 150 statement above - Unless she's already got good throwing skills - lighter plastic will be MUCh easier for her to learn with.

Stingray or Cobra in 150 Class
Mid range - get something with minimal rim thickness, like an XD or Classic Roc
Putter - take your pick

Gotta disagree with the 150 statement above - Unless she's already got good throwing skills - lighter plastic will be MUCh easier for her to learn with.

Stingray or Cobra in 150 Class
Mid range - get something with minimal rim thickness, like an XD or Classic Roc
Putter - take your pick

I agree with you, I like the 165g Champ Panther for a mid range. I got it when i started playing used it like a long putter and now it has transitioned into my go to disc when im about 120' and in for all sorts of shots that i cant use my putter on. it does overhand shots for me, anny shots around trees; i have even used it for short forehand rollers but it is very straight maybe slighyly understable at that weight.

I dont see the downside of using 150s. I know they can get a little flippy but probably not that likely for someone new and anyway, it would be a good way to learn to control that.

I'm figuring on getting a couple 150 -160 weight drivers for her, but what about mids and putters? any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks :D

I'd start off with two discs.

For distance throws I would have her start with lighter slower discs until she develops a feel for the game. If you can spend a little more, I would also consider something in premium plastic just to handle the abuse that a newb will inflict on a disc. If it were me I'd be buying something on the order of a star Skeeter or maybe an ESP Impact. Both come in 150g.

As for a putter, I would think heavier such as a 170-175g Aviar or a soft Wizard.

If and when she's ready for a driver, a champ Leopard is hard to beat as a first driver.

Innova starter 3 pack.

It comes with 150 gram versions of Leopard, Shark, & Aviar.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 519YK9vGyEL._SS500_.jpg
    519YK9vGyEL._SS500_.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I'd recommend 150s as well. The only case where I might suggest something heavier is if you're in an extremely windy area. If you're not used to the motions, then your arm can get sore pretty quickly with heavier plastics. I'd also strongly recommend DX plastic, or the equivalent. Even though beginners have less control, they also don't throw as fast, and so don't require as sturdy of a plastic. The gains in glide and understability greatly outweigh the advantages of longer-lasting plastics. As a newbie female myself, I find it makes a big difference, and I almost never throw anything else. BTW, my first discs were a 150 DX leopard and a 160ish DX XD putter. Putters are one place where I think the weight is advantageous, and you're not usually throwing hard enough to make your arm sore.

they should make the putter like 165g though but still it is a great deal for someone learning to play the game

I disagree with all those that say to get cheaper plastic. Its your GF, isn't she worth it? Well show her that she is. What's a couple extra $$$. I'm sure she'll see the difference and appreciate you for it.

I disagree with all those that say to get cheaper plastic. Its your GF, isn't she worth it? Well show her that she is. What's a couple extra $$$. I'm sure she'll see the difference and appreciate you for it.

i'd bet she WON'T see the difference, but you could tell her there is anyway and perhaps get the niceness reciprocated..... :D

I think DX is the way to go if you take the beginner to a course where discs can get lost.

From a woman's point of view.....

Mid: Stingray, Cobra, or Panther in 150, unless she's a current/former ball player with a massive throw. (The Stingray and Panther may stay in her bag as righty approach discs forever!)

Putter: Let her feel up some plastic and see what fits best in her hands (my preference is the Soft Banger GT, or the Omega Supersoft for a more traditional feel). 165-175 for this one.

Driver: When she's throwing more than 100', add the Impact, then the Leopard or XL (the 150 Class Z Storm is another outstanding option, if you can find one). All 150-165, max.

As always, JMHO

As far as plastic, the DX types are much for forgiving and less overstable, in general. Start there, then upgrade as soon as they start to get flippy or she takes more of an interest. Get her a Crunch Box ASAP, as well!!!

Last edited: