• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buying discs for Girlfriend

Fleshgordon

Birdie Member
I'm figuring on getting a couple 150 -160 weight drivers for her, but what about mids and putters? any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks :D

Stingray.

Most putters should do. Until you start driving your putters there's not a whole lot of difference.

I'd *start* with a putter and work up through mids and get her a driver when she's figured out how to throw putters and mids.

Last edited:
go get a 150 shark or something similar...that is what my school decided to purchase 10000000000 of to rent out to people who wanna play DG but have no discs, and they seem to work well with the ladies

go get a 150 shark or something similar...that is what my school decided to purchase 10000000000 of to rent out to people who wanna play DG but have no discs, and they seem to work well with the ladies

Shark is a great all-around disc and one of my first ever. I still carry one.

Just go for the favorite color to start. Then when she starts to like disc golf/developes some game, she can start adjusting disc selection to fit her needs.

Just go for the favorite color to start. Then when she starts to like disc golf/developes some game, she can start adjusting disc selection to fit her needs.

How will she develop a taste for the game if she's stuck with a disc that's pretty, but she can't throw?

150 valk, aviar and stingray ought to do her nicely. also i dont know if theres alot of water where you play but my wifes 150 hydra comes in handy for me cause im the one always fishin it out.

I have a 150 shark I'd be willing to trade for discraft or gateway of any useable condition.
As far as putters, the apx feels great in almost everyones hand, even if it's not stable enough for them.
Even though I prefer the buzzz, I'd recomend a shark or stingray. Discs with a lil turn are more encouraging than straight flyers IMO

If she really wants to play she won't be happy with just one disc. Would anyone? Hell no. You want the candy colored assortment everyone else has. Once she decides she really likes the sport then she can get serious on learning one disc at a time.

For my money I'd get her a 150g Champion Leopard, a mid weight (165ish) ESP Impact & a heavier weight mid. An ESP Buzzz. 2 putters too. Something soft like a soft Banger or Magnet, and a harder plastic.

I know this sounds way too obvious, but take her to a course with multiple tees. Let her play the shorter ones while you play the longer ones. I see far to many guys out with their girls and the girls are playing the same tees. I'm talking girls that are obviously very new. I'm sure it gets frustrating real quick for everyone if she has to throw 2, 3, or more times just to get to where you drove.

Just my $0.02.

My GF absolutely loves her Shark, great disc to start with. Light Valks and Beasts are also good choices as they are dependable and pretty forgivable discs.
My GF, after trying out tons of putters the last couple of years has kind of settled on the Pig and Magic as her 2 faves...for what it's worth.

Dont get her a Valk to start. I dont know why that disc is brought up for beginners. I know it is understable and all but a beginner, especially one that likely has a weaker arm, is not going to do well. Now, if it was someone with good arm strength and generally athletic, maybe but I still would say start with a Leopard or Impact for drivers.

Mids: Stingray, Shark, or Comet

Putter: whatever she thinks is cool if you are getting her input. If not, cant go wrong with an Aviar (its not my favorite but it is a good starting putter)

EDIT: to add in, my fiance has aquired a ton of discs, including just about anything mentioned on here including a 150 Valk, and 99.9% of her throws, she prefers the 150 Leopard and is starting to do fairly well with it. Only time its not a Leopard is when she is putting.

Last edited:
my fisrt disc was the dx shark, 170. I'd say a 155-165 teebird, leopard, buzzz, soft magnet all in dx or pro d. I wish I had the buzzz and magnet when I was just barely beginning.

Latest posts