• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz guide

moorent

Eagle Member
Can somebody who knows what they are talking about describe the history of the buzzz/ differences between molds? I've tried searching but constantly run into differing opinions and recollections of what mold was produced when.

Good thread I was wondering myself! :hfive:

I have seen wasp tooled buzzes, this and that tooled etc., whats up here?
I have a z buzz and love it. more info would be great.

Buzzz-Released in august 2004 as prototype. Production started in september 2004.

ESP Buzzz-Released August 2006. Retooled Wasp.

Buzzz SS-Released as a fundraiser disc in January 2007. Buzzz SS (= Super Straight) is a less stable version of the Buzzz.

FLX Buzzz-Essentially a retooled Wasp released first in the end of 2003 in Z-plastic, this is Discrafts most popular midrange driver since 2003. Released in the beginning of february 2007 in the super flexible plastic FLX, Discraft wrote: "Made from a highly flexible version of ESP plastic, the FLX discs are excellent in cold weather, and the added 'give' makes them easier to grip for more controlled releases in all weather conditions"

X Buzzz-Retooled Wasp, in X-plastic only available was it only available as fundraiser between dec 2003 and oct 2004, now its in the regular production line-up.

X Buzzz GT-Released in January 2006. Retooled Buzzz, with the groove top added. Approved by the PDGA retroactively in February 2008.

Z Buzzz-Released in October 2003. Retooled Wasp. First run says "Wasp" on the inside of the rim. The Buzzz was built from the Wasp and when they ran the first Buzzz's, the underside/inside of the mold was from the Wasp.

Z Buzzz SS-Buzzz SS (= Super Straight) is a less stable version of the Buzzz. Discraft Wrote: "The SS version has a straight edge that gives it a stability rating of 0.0". Only available as a fundraiser from January 2008 until December 2010 when it was released in the regular line-up.

Z Glow Buzzz-Released in 2009.Retooled Wasp.

Hope that helps

This is were the buzzz came from.

First run says "Wasp" on the inside of the rim. The Buzzz was built from the Wasp and when they ran the first Buzzz's, the underside/inside of the mold was from the Wasp. Buzzz has just a bit more dome on it.

Last edited:
what about the crystal Z buzzz ,whats the 411?

Only available for tournament stamping or from retailers. They are made in the cryztal Z plastic which is a more transparent form of elite-Z plastic. Not exactly sure when they were released...

Here is the info on the Wasp and Buzzz Mold

Wasp
Detailed information
Diameter 21,6 cm
Maximum weight 179,3 gram
Height 1,8 cm
Rim depth 1,3 cm
Inside rim diameter 19,2 cm
Rim thickness 1,2 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 6,0 %
Rim configuration ratio 37,00
Flexibility rating 8,39

Buzzz
Detailed information
Diameter 21,7 cm
Maximum weight 180,1 gram
Height 1,9 cm
Rim depth 1,3 cm
Inside rim diameter 19,3 cm
Rim thickness 1,2 cm
Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 6,0 %
Rim configuration ratio 44,00
Flexibility rating 6,24

what about the crystal Z buzzz ,whats the 411?

I think it is for the most part the same a Z but clear. I have heard some people say that it is a bit more overstable than Z but I can't tell the difference.

great info guys, thanks... sounds like i need an FLX Buzz to see what all the hoopla is about.

Also as far as the Flexibility rating goes it is different between plastic types.

2nd First Run Buzzz - Fundraising disc for the 2006 Players Cup. Only run to have the Wasp tooling since they switched over to Buzzz tooling.

Midnight Z Buzzz - Fundraiser for 2005 Players Cup and 200? DGLO. Some of the flattest Buzzz you will find (Buzzz tooling).

CryZtal FLX Buzzz - Originally a fundraiser for the 2007 Players Cup. Newer run was done for Dynamic Discs and are considerably more gummy.

Thanks Juju for filling in the blanks. We need to play a round what part of MN are you in? I work in St. Paul but live in Wisconsin.

Thanks Juju for filling in the blanks. We need to play a round what part of MN are you in? I work in St. Paul but live in Wisconsin.

West suburbs, but I play all over the Twin Cities. Always down for a round, just shoot me a PM and maybe we can get a round in sometime.

Photon Glo Buzzz - Released around 2006 (not really sure on this). Buzzz tooled, chalky photon plastic.

This is were the buzzz came from.

First run says "Wasp" on the inside of the rim. The Buzzz was built from the Wasp and when they ran the first Buzzz's, the underside/inside of the mold was from the Wasp. Buzzz has just a bit more dome on it.

This is why when people say "I want a Buzzz OS" I just wanna hit them (theoretically of course :p) cuz an OS Buzzz is a Wasp. Ive seen first run Buzzz's and they say super straight Wasp on them, at least the I saw did

This is why when people say "I want a Buzzz OS" I just wanna hit them (theoretically of course :p) cuz an OS Buzzz is a Wasp. Ive seen first run Buzzz's and they say super straight Wasp on them, at least the I saw did

LOL for sure
some people:wall: