• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CA to NC - Which way to go?

If you do go the 70 route, there are two really cool courses in that corner between 15 and 70. You would be going out of your way, but the scenery you'd drive through is absolutely incredible. Check out Brian Head and Rim Rock.

If you make the stop in Albuquerque, try to hit Roosevelt Park instead of the others. The others (The Baca/Southside and Ladera/West side) are mostly desert type courses with very few trees and mostly long holes. Roosevelt is the oldest in the area, but it sits in a nice park near the University of NM (right off of Central Ave./Old Rt. 66). Recently rennovated, the park has nice grass, big trees, and lots of elevation changes. New baskets, huge trees, and friendly locals make this a must play course.

Then make your way through Amarillo, TX and visit our course. Driving across the plains will make you wonder why anyone would want to install a course here untill you venture North of I-40 on Highway 287. Once you get past Old Rt. 66 (Amarillo Blvd.), the ground starts getting more hilly the closer you get to the Canadian River. When you see the Amusement Park on the West side of the highway, you're at the park with our Disc Golf course. You can immediately tell this is going to be worth the stop.

If you do travel this way, let me know ahead of time and I'll try to meet you for a round.

Wow. How original.Its nice to know that there are people left who think southerners are all backwards hillbillies. It must be a shock to you to find out that most of us wear shoes and have all of our teeth.

Kick his ass Sea Bass! Actually, if you think yall is bad, wait till you're asked if you want sweet tea at every meal. The answer is, "I reckon."

Oh and dscjunky, mind yer fancy book learnin' when you move here too. Other than that, welcome to NC.

Oh, and for the record, I don't have all my teeth. Stupid wisdom teeth.

i've done the drive and I'd have to say you need to take I-70 to STL then I-64 into Charleston,WV...this'll take you past Johnny Roberts in Denver, and not too far from Conifer Ranch...then you can play Waterworks in KC...Albert Oakland in Columbia, MO...once to STL play Sioux Passage, it's a little out of the way, but well worth it, if you don't go there then go to Quail Ridge, it's maybe 45 seconds off I-70 right at I-64...I don't remember if I-64 goes through Centralia, if it does, play their 27 hole course, or at least play the champ 18...then don't worry about too much else in IL, but then you hit IN, the course in English, IN is a ball golf course and is 8 miles off I-64, just north...after IN is Kentucky, with Louisville and Lexington being right in the path, but Bowling Green and Idlewild not too far out of the way...then WV, not too much there, but then you get to the wonderful land of NC..and when you get here, give me a call I'll show you around from the viewpoint of a fellow transplant who's lived in CA too...it's nice out here, you'll like it...not too expensive and we actually have seasons, although they're pretty mild...travel safe whichever route you take...

Kick his ass Sea Bass! Actually, if you think yall is bad, wait till you're asked if you want sweet tea at every meal. The answer is, "I reckon."

Oh and dscjunky, mind yer fancy book learnin' when you move here too. Other than that, welcome to NC.
Hey, man. There hasn't been one family reunion where I don't say I'm going to "shut off the light" for a month or so afterwards.

Stupid south and it's stupid easy goingness.

This is all great stuff! Thanks for the help. Keep it coming.
Hope to meet some of you during my journey.
DSCJNKY

70 will get you through st. louis.

if that becomes a possibility, i'll recommend some courses.

Some of the cities mentioned here have a bar called "The Flying Saucer" where they have about 200 different brews on tap and even more in bottles. Not a bad alternative if you can't find a decent microbrewery. Let us know when you hit Charlotte and come out to some of our club events while you're here.

If you happen to hit Mills Park in Gatlinburg,TN, which is right before you come into NC, let me know how it is. I'm heading up there from Charlotte in July and plan to play Mills Park for the first time

I just dumped Humboldt and Asheville into Streets & Trips. It has you going to Reno and hitting I-80 through Lincoln, NE, then I-29 down to KC, then I-70 to St. Louis, then I-64 to I-57 to I-24 to Nashville, then I-40 the rest of the way. Should take just over 6 days. Me personally, from St. Louis I'd take I-70 to Indiannapolis, then I-74 to Cincy, and I-75 to Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge. Then continue down I-75 to I-40.

If you take I-40, definitely stop in Nashville and play Cedar Hill and/or 7 Oaks! There is also a great brewery here called Yazoo, you can do brewery tours and they have a great taproom to check out all the beers. Highly recommend!

Thanks to everyone who helped me plan my road trip. I ended up taking the 40 across and played at least one course in every state. So here goes:
Day 1:
Leave LA at 5am to get to phoenix by 11. Play Fountain Hills. Drive to Flagstaff and have lunch at a brewery (forgot name). Play Snow Bowl. Eat dinner at a Flagstaff Brewery (the other brewery was better food and beer).
Day 2:
Leave Flagstaff and head for Albuquerque. Play Roosevlt Park. Eat lunch at the Chalma River Brewery (good beer, great burger). Drive - Race - to Amarillo Texas to play John Rock's course Thompson Park. Drive on toward Oklahoma... but, I stopped in Texas and slept in a dry county )This f-ing sucked).
Day 3:
Drive to Oklahoma City and play Dolese Youth Park. Ate lunch at the Brickcity brewery (good food, good stout... although 3.2% is that the best you can do Oklahoma???). Drove to Fort Smith Arkansas and played Ben Geren Park. Ate dinner at a steak house and drove on to Little Rock.
Day 4:
Woke up in Little Rock and played Burns Park Red and Burns Park Blue. Drove from there to Memphis Tennessee to play Bud Hill (the best course from my trip). Ate lunch at a little shack style dinner/country store a few miles past the entrance to Meeman State Park. Played Meeman East. Drove to Nashville and spent the night.
Day 5:
Didn't play any golf since I had to get where I was going... I figured everything here was within a days drive of Asheville and I would come back to play it at some point. But I did eat at the downtown brewery in Knoxville (decent)

Thanks again to everyone who helped plan the trip. It wouldn't have been as successful without your guidance.
DSCJNKY

Thanks to everyone who helped me plan my road trip. I ended up taking the 40 across and played at least one course in every state. So here goes:
Day 1:
Leave LA at 5am to get to phoenix by 11. Play Fountain Hills. Drive to Flagstaff and have lunch at a brewery (forgot name). Play Snow Bowl. Eat dinner at a Flagstaff Brewery (the other brewery was better food and beer).
Day 2:
Leave Flagstaff and head for Albuquerque. Play Roosevlt Park. Eat lunch at the Chalma River Brewery (good beer, great burger). Drive - Race - to Amarillo Texas to play John Rock's course Thompson Park. Drive on toward Oklahoma... but, I stopped in Texas and slept in a dry county )This f-ing sucked).
Day 3:
Drive to Oklahoma City and play Dolese Youth Park. Ate lunch at the Brickcity brewery (good food, good stout... although 3.2% is that the best you can do Oklahoma???). Drove to Fort Smith Arkansas and played Ben Geren Park. Ate dinner at a steak house and drove on to Little Rock.
Day 4:
Woke up in Little Rock and played Burns Park Red and Burns Park Blue. Drove from there to Memphis Tennessee to play Bud Hill (the best course from my trip). Ate lunch at a little shack style dinner/country store a few miles past the entrance to Meeman State Park. Played Meeman East. Drove to Nashville and spent the night.
Day 5:
Didn't play any golf since I had to get where I was going... I figured everything here was within a days drive of Asheville and I would come back to play it at some point. But I did eat at the downtown brewery in Knoxville (decent)

Thanks again to everyone who helped plan the trip. It wouldn't have been as successful without your guidance.
DSCJNKY
3.2 is practically dry. Bummer.

Someone from Oklahoma might want to clarify, but I think you can buy 6.0 beer there. The sticking point is that you can only buy it warm from a package liquor store. Such stores can only be open for like an eleven hour period which ends at a ridiculously early 9 PM, and can't be open on Sundays at all.

An interesting point that some people might not know. The difference in alcohol content between 3.2 and 6.0 is not as significant as those numbers suggest, although people used to the good stuff will probably proclaim they'd just as soon chug an O'Douls before they drink 3.2.

http://ocolly.com/2008/08/28/32-bee...-think-or-maybe-6-point-just-isn’t-as-strong/

Latest posts