• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

California best

smook

Par Member
I'm looking to go on a road trip up the California when i get my license. What would be some great spots to stop on the way?? Probably gtoing up the 5 from san diego.

Did you mean up the California Coast?

If so I have heard great things about Goat Hill in Oceanside, although I haven't played it. Coyote Point at Lake Casitas is a must. I really liked Evergreen Open Space in Goleta (Santa Barbara). Its a nice classic feel and the locals are a great bunch. Waller Pines (Waller Park on here) in Santa Maria is another great one. Its in a huge park and has 27 holes, it's really really nice.

Thats as far north up the Coast I have played, but there's of course DeLaveaga and some other great ones around Santa Cruz that are must plays, and many more further north depending on how far you are going.

In the Orange/LA area

La Mirada Regional Park - Back 18, La Mirada Regional Park - Front 18, Huntington Beach Central Park

La Mirada is real close to the 5 fwy.

Based on the title of 'California's Best,' you must visit Sky High DGC in Wrightwood, CA

gonna try for waller pines this weekend. discgolfbrad at yahoo

Some of my Favorite CA courses:
- Stafford Lake, north of San Francisco (my personal favorite CA Course)
- Lake Casitas, near Ventura (a lot like Stafford)
- SkiSunrise (or whatever they call it now) in Wrightwood
- Area 74 in Humboldt (may it RIP)
- DeLa in Santa Cruz (because it's a classic)
- Sylmar in So-Cal (because that's my Home Home course)
Have fun.
DSCJNKY

The Lake Tahoe area is teeming with great courses. Bijou, Turtle Rock, Zephyr Cove, Kirkwood, Tahoe Vista, Sierra College, Squaw Valley etc... add that to amazing Summer weather and you really can't go wrong.

Well as for the bay area. these are MUST play course.
1: De Laveaga, Santa Cruz
2: Pinto Lake, Watsonville
3: Black Mouse, Felton
These are my favorite in the Santa Cruz area. The nice thing is you can play all three in a day, because they are only a few minutes apart. After you play you can then enjoy some fun, food and drink in downtown Santa Cruz.
San Francisco bay area course.
1: Golden Gate Park, S.F. It's a world class course and my favorite. Sorry De La and Stafford lovers!
2: Aquatic Park, Berkeley. It's an OK course and one you can miss without missing out.
3: Stafford Lake, Novato. Some say this is the best around? It's awesome and long for sure and a spotter is a must.
4: Skyline Wilderness Park, Napa. One of the most well kept courses around. You also need EVERY shot/throw in your bag and sometimes it just doesn't matter...God dang Napa rollers!!!! Nothing like a 20ft putt turning into a 200ft upshot!

Next stop would be the centeral valley or the foothills.
1: Shady Oaks, Orangevale
2: Auburn regional park, Auburn
3: Condon Park, Grass Valley
4: Hanging Oaks, Penn Valley
These are all must play courses and it's a toss up between Grass and Penn Valley for best course. Oh, there is also a course in Rocklin. It's nice, but it's just a long hyzer heaven course.

Tahoe has some sick course. Just leave your overstable disc in your car, due to the altitude. The Redwood curtain or AKA: the green triangle also sports some cool courses up around Arcata. If you plan on camping your way up. Stay at KOA in Willits (just as you enter the green triangle). They have a pretty decent course at the campsite.
Well, I'm typed out! Have a great trip!

not sure how far north you're headed but there's a great course behind Humboldt State University called the Redwood Curtain