• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling it Frolf...

Frolf on the other hand I'm kind of on the receiving end - It's never been a word that was in my vocabulary, I learned this sport as "disc golf" but my reaction is the same. I come across a stranger in life, you say "frolf", I comprehend what you mean, I say F yeah I love disc golf lets go Frolfin! and we become instant friends.

Whereas I say with my nose up in the air "Actually it's called disc golf" you turn away with a disgusted look and we go our separate ways...

It's just a word..

People buy Kleenex more than other things because people ask you to pick up kleenex. If it's avoidable, using the brand name should be avoided. People that are going to play frisbee golf are more likely to show up with an 80 mold than people going to play disc golf.

I want to agree with you but I just don't have any clue what the **** you are saying.

Unless of course you're a really serious disc golfer, then it's really important to protect the trademark of a company that barely involves itself in the sport currently and that hasn't been an innovator in the field in decades. :|

I don't think it's as much about protecting Wham-O's brand as it is about "don't mention wham-o brands, they are not involved in disc golf and should not receive any free advertising.

Personally I don't care. When I say to people that I like to play disc golf they usually reply "what-golf?". When I say "Frisbee golf" they understand what I mean.

I think I would get MORE confused looks if I used Frolf, just about every single public park here has a disc golf course- so its kind of common knowledge.

Frolf is easier to say than Frisbee Golf, but it sounds a little weird. When I talk about disc golf to people, often I have to say Frisbee golf before they understand what it is. Frisbee is one of those weird brand names that has become the word that nearly everyone uses to describe the product (much like Kleenex, Band-Aid, as well as Xerox back in the day). I explain to people that it's a trademark and only one company can use the name.

Somebody once said on here that Frolf sounds like a retarded hobbit, and I think they're right. Just a weird sounding word.

I don't think it's as much about protecting Wham-O's brand as it is about "don't mention wham-o brands, they are not involved in disc golf and should not receive any free advertising.

Personally I don't care. When I say to people that I like to play disc golf they usually reply "what-golf?". When I say "Frisbee golf" they understand what I mean.

Meh, I very much doubt it's doing anything at all for their brand. Very few of the new players calling them frisbees have any idea that the word is specifically associated with wham-o, they just think it's the generic term.

Meh, I very much doubt it's doing anything at all for their brand. Very few people calling them frisbees have any idea that the word is specifically associated with wham-o, they just think it's the generic term.

FTFY

I actually intended it the way I said it. A lot of the old guys who were around when wham-o was disc sports still call them frisbees and know about that association.

I actually intended it the way I said it. A lot of the old guys who were around when wham-o was disc sports still call them frisbees and know about that association.

No doubt.

I was speaking in more of a Frisbee / Kleenex / Band-Aid general people sort of way. :)

I assume that non-disc golfers aren't very bright so to them I say frisbee golf very slowly until I see the light bulb over their head come on. To everyone else it's chuckin' plastic or whippin'.

Could have sworn you used XDs maybe im wrong about who I think you are IRL. Do you use them for approach shots? I remember (who I thought was you) liking the old bullet stamp XD I used to have. oh well memory problems ya know;)

Latest posts