• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling other players out???

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
...interesting scenario during a tourney this weekend. Playing with a group of four when one of the younger players shanks a ten foot putt. Instantaneously he cries with a snotty "PERIPHERAL!" and points to two of us standing perfectly still to the left and to the right of him 30 feet away and slightly behind/to his his side (on an awkward hill)...obviously inferring that he blew the putt because he could see us. My immediate response was "you need to tell us before you shoot if that is the case". He continued to be kind of overzealous and semi-obnoxious during the round so it fit into his character.

Just seemed interesting to me. Opinions???

I would have done the same as you did. State what he should have done, then ignore him.

My thoughts? Idiots are everywhere. You'll find a lot of them at tournaments.

He needs to let you know if you are a distraction. He also needs to learn how to deal with distractions better.

worst kind of player there is to play with is the one who blames his errors on others. depending on my mood i may have "worked" him further.

i have not been playing a lot that long but man i have run into my fair share of jerks and this sounds like a perfect example. I have only played in a few doubles and tourney and there are always a few who complain...think it can be said for any sport...and just as true in ball golf which i played competitively for several years.

Just keep playing your game and ignore him the best you can, that why i bring my headphones if neccessary

...interesting scenario during a tourney this weekend. Playing with a group of four when one of the younger players shanks a ten foot putt. Instantaneously he cries with a snotty "PERIPHERAL!" and points to two of us standing perfectly still to the left and to the right of him 30 feet away and slightly behind/to his his side (on an awkward hill)...obviously inferring that he blew the putt because he could see us. My immediate response was "you need to tell us before you shoot if that is the case". He continued to be kind of overzealous and semi-obnoxious during the round so it fit into his character.

Just seemed interesting to me. Opinions???

I'm just impressed that someone of such upstanding quality and sportsmanship actually knew a 4-syllable word.

PERIPHERAL! haha...classic...how did you keep from laughing in his face :)

That was a tough one to do to be honest. Karma came later in the round when he was actually vying for a top spot in AM1 when he befell the curse of "basket on a slope". An easy three turned into a miss and roll (80 feet in his case) and ultimately a six. :)

I'm just impressed that someone of such upstanding quality and sportsmanship actually knew a 4-syllable word.

oh, his other word heard at least a hundred times through the day was "nestle". As in a throw that was going long then a loud "NESTLE!", as if to guide it in. Luckily for the dude he was pretty good, just cocky and young.

You should never miss a 10 foot putt. If you do you have no one to blame but yourself. And yeah, I miss one a month because I'm not paying attention but it's my fault.

oh, his other word heard at least a hundred times through the day was "nestle". As in a throw that was going long then a loud "NESTLE!", as if to guide it in. Luckily for the dude he was pretty good, just cocky and young.

How weird, after every approach shot, I shout out "Skittles!"

I had a guy the other day that kind of irked me. Out at northvalley the 500+ foot hole over water is played that if it goes in water on the first throw, you go to the drop zone. then if you don't make it across again, you go back to the drop zone. Now I shanked my beast into the water, and went to the drop. Next I threw the surge and skipped it off the path on the other side, but since it was soooo flooded, it skipped into a half foot of water just to the right of the path, AFTER hitting dry ground. We took a drop since it hit dry ground first and I ended up with a double circle seven :mad:

After we holed out, and were getting ready for the next one, the group behind use came up. One of the guys behind us came up and basically yelled, "Hey, did one of you go in the water twice??!!??, You are supposed to go back to the drop zone if you go in the water!". We were cut off multiple times in our explanation of our throws (two of us did this), and how it hit ground before going across. He just kept pressing that "you have to go back to the drop zone if you go in the water"

Keep in mind, the TD was in my group...

if you can't putt with minimal distractions then you probably aren't a good putter to begin with

Amen. Players like that wear me out, really, like that car driving by or the birds chirping or people walking through the park or anything else that is on a disc golf course wasnt there. Get over it, you suck

I've played with that guy before. Starts the round by telling the group of 8 (ice bowl - not the most formal of tournaments) that he's a Pro Grand Master. First hole he's getting ready to putt for birdie. Stops his routine and yells at someone to "stop moving!". Proceeds to bury his putter into the outside of the basket, missing his chance. He goes ballistic and throws a pissy-fit. I don't even think we had even gotten through the introductions by that point.

His wife was playing in the group and immediately started saying things like "let it go" and "you're making a scene", etc. He would stand off from the rest of the group until it was his chance to tee off. Then he'd throw one in the trees and curse under his breath. After a while (I think it was a 5 hour round or something) it became sort of funny. Watching him stomp around, kick up dust. Pretty much lasted through the entire round.

Latest posts