• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Camping on Site

Hey all,

Down here on the MS Gulf Coast, there are 3 courses with on site camping close to the DG course.

Shepard Park in Gautier, MS;
Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS;
and McLeod Park in Kiln, MS .

All three courses are pretty good courses as far as variety of shots, terrain is pretty flat at all courses, of course we are as far south as you can get without falling in the Gulf.

Just up the road (45 minutes) in Hattiesburg, MS is Paul B Johnson State Park with two really nice courses and camping on site.

Good luck in your search!

There is a LOT of courses that fit this description. Michigan alone has a dozen....just a guess. Some, on nice properties with quality courses. The quality of courses and accommodations vary. I'm not sure we are going to get a list here. If there is an area you are looking at, I would throw out a post on one of the travel threads and hope some locals provide some feedback. A ton more courses likely have very close camping available too.

I may be cutting across Canada to the Detroit area this summer to play. This is more of planning for me. I'll for sure continue to check this thread, although I'm certain it won't be complete. I appreciate the information.

I have camped here (well, "car camped") and man, this is definitely off the beaten path with some good stargazing opportunities, as long as you are ok with a primitive site. Naturally, it was cloudy the night I was there, but I think I was the only human being amongst all the deer surrounding my car and the area.

IDK the story, but camping does tend to bring out the worst in some people. I'm rather used to working with a small container stove and a candle lantern. Then there are those who sit doing burnouts in their Oldsmobile in the dust with their emergency brake on blaring "Welcome to the Machine" on repeat all night. I've got simple needs I suppose.

Pioneer Trail Park DGC in Escanaba, MI has a large, full service campground with water/electric hookups, showers, dumpstation, rental cabins, rustic sites, playground, and wifi. North Bluff DGC in Gladstone, MI also has a municipal campground near the course with full hookups, rustic sites, showers, restrooms, wifi, playground, 1500' swimming beach on Little Bay de Noc, vending machines and a bike/walking trail. Opens April 29, 2023. Very popular campground, reservations recommended.

I started compiling this list a few years ago. These are courses with camping either on the property or on adjacent property within walking distance. This may or may not be current. I've only been to roughly half of these places and can only attest to those locations. I'll find my latest list and add whatever is listed on this thread.

Minnesota
DeLagoon Park – Fergus Falls
Baylor Park – Norwood Young America
Adrian DGC – Adrian
Land of Memories – Mankato
Chains Edge - Ogilvie
Maiden Shade – Morristown
Prairies Island - Winona

Colorado
Optimist Park - Fort Morgan

Missouri
Lakeshore DGC – Pleasant Hill MO
Joseph C Miller – Binder State Park, Jefferson City
The Dam Course – Binder State Park, Jefferson City
Lawson Lake – Polk Township

Indiana
Buffalo Trace Park – Palmyra

Iowa
Wildcat Bluff
Sugar Bottom – Iowa City
Walnut Creek – Des Moines
Big Creek State Park – Des Moines
West Lake Park – Davenport
Pickard Park – Indianola
Ambrose A Call Park – Ambrose
Lake of Three Fires – Bedford
Roberts Creek State Park – Pella

Wisconsin
Valarta Ast
Wilderness DGC
Highbridge
Justin Trails
North Park of Wood County – Marshfield
Big Eau Pleine – Mosinee
Mont du Lac – Superior

Kansas
Lakeview Recreation Area DGC – Chanute
Clinton State Park – Lawrence

Michigan
Pioneer Trails DGC – Escanaba
Wild Haven Yetisburg & Little Big Foot
Flip City

Nebraska
Eugene T Mahoney – Omaha
Fort Kearney – Kearney
Maskethine – Stanton

North Dakota
Jamestown Reservoir – Jamestown
General Sibley – Bismarck
Patterson Lake – Dickinson

Montana
Makoshika – Glendive

Orgeon
Milo McIver State Park

Pennsylvania
Cordus State Park, Red, Blue, Purple – Hanover

Lakeside Beach State Park in NY. It's between Rochester and Buffalo on Lake Ontario. Two course in the park and a lot more within an hour.

Lakeside Beach State Park in NY. It's between Rochester and Buffalo on Lake Ontario. Two course in the park and a lot more within an hour.

Was watching a flyover of this one. This looks like a good, easy destination.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart as I have recently bought a camper van. I agree with the State Park sentiment. Many of them have reasonably inexpensive cabins in addition to rv and primitive camping. The South is filthy with them. I especially like state park camp/course combos with waterfalls nearby. Northern Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia have a lot of that sort of stuff. My favorite urban camp and bag option is the KOA in downtown Nashville, TN. I've stayed there multiple times.

South Dakota:
Angostura DGC
Big Sioux Rec Area
Buffalo Ridge Resort
Crystal Park (Miller)
Elk Run DGC
Gavins Point
Hart Ranch
Hartford Beach
Gregory City Park
LaBolt Park
Lake Herman
Lake Louise
Lake Poinsett
Left Tailrace
Oakwood Lakes
Pierson Ranch
Powerhouse Alley
Randall Creek
Richmond Lakes
Roy Lake
Spearfish Canyon
Tornado Alley

That's just the ones that have camping at the same park as the DGC. Plenty of other options have camping very close. Lots of these are SD State park or Rec areas.

Headed to IDGC tomorrow morning for 3 days of camping and beating up trees. It's Death By 1000 Cuts for those poor things...

I'll try to take some notes for possible reviews, but it's more likely that I'll come in here with some thoughts about it all. As long as the restrooms are fairly clean, I don't see how I'd have much to complain about. And like I told a friend:

If we're mauled by bears or beheaded by buccaneers, please know that we died in our own little slice of Heaven down there.

What a place IDGC is.

Campsites are clean and well-appointed (water and power; nice and flat and well-kept). Bathhouse seemed like it was brand new. I think they just got done updating the paint and maybe even the appliances and floor. Very clean. Too clean, almost. Felt bad using the ****ed things.
One can walk from Area 2 sites to the middle of the Warner course; or one can drive a quarter-mile to the parking lot of IDGC, where the entrances to all three courses can be found.
Of the three, I liked Steady Ed best. Not so much as a "better" course, but as the more scenic one. The moment you step to the first tee, you just kind of go, "Ah, yes. Allow me to throw ALL the frisbees, please..." The lake comes into play quite a bit - and swallowed my Philo Destroyer - but it was so pretty and challenging and cool...I'll get over it.

As a place to camp and golf, I can't think of a better spot. Some of the sites are right up against the lake; the one we had (Site # 49) had a street lamp right over top of it. Not a huge deal but a detail I'll remember to avoid for next time.
I look forward to finding more places like this. There is talk amongst our group of going to Warrior's Path/Harmon Hills at some point, and there is camping available nearby or on-site at WP.

Latest posts