• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a basket go inside a structure?

nate22

Eagle Member
I have a small structure on my course, a former pump station, and its location directly impedes the best location for a basket next to the dam (hence why a pump was there). I put it under the structure late today, before it bucketed down with rain, but was unable to take a picture and I headed for drier ground.

What are the legalities of this...the structure just fits a basket in it at full height (the top rest on the roof providing stability). The front opening facing the player is 2m across, same as the back. Each side has about a meter gap. There is iron around 3 sides of the structure, along the bottom, well below basket height.

looked for a pic of it empty, but alas have none...can add one later if questionable or illegal. Best I could find, it has been modified with the top side panels removed...

24727938_14_x.jpg

It's legal. Whether it is wise is another question.

I'm not clear about the structure from your description, but there is a design philosophy that says that you should have a shot at the basket from anywhere within the 10-meter circle. No necessarily an unobstructed shot, but at least a chance to stretch or straddle to one side or the other, and have a reasonable run at the basket. Does yours?

One consideration is that, if the disc is leaning against an interior wall, where would the player take his stance? Outside the wall? Would this be a severe penalty for a disc so close to the basket?

I know your situation's different, but the answer is "Yes, and it might even become a course's signature hole."
NGCT's chicken coop:
42ab4a9d.jpg

c567b02b.jpg

If you can't fix it, feature it... be creative and make it memorable.

Last edited:
Is that corrugated metal walls? Maybe you could take one or all of the sides off and make it more reasonable. A basket under a roof would be pretty cool. Im not so sure about a basket with walls on three sides.

It's legal. Whether it is wise is another question.

I'm not clear about the structure from your description, but there is a design philosophy that says that you should have a shot at the basket from anywhere within the 10-meter circle. No necessarily an unobstructed shot, but at least a chance to stretch or straddle to one side or the other, and have a reasonable run at the basket. Does yours?

One consideration is that, if the disc is leaning against an interior wall, where would the player take his stance? Outside the wall? Would this be a severe penalty for a disc so close to the basket?

anywhere on, in or against the structure would be a tap in...will test that 10m thing later and take pics.

Ah, now that I see it, I retract my post. Nothing wrong with that. I'd go with it.

Of course, if a disc lands inside the structure, you have to carefully step over or straddle those sharp edges. Very carefully if you're a short guy.

One note: I assume the shot will come in perpendicular to the edge, so that if it comes in low it will just bang loudly and sit there. But if the line of play is at a 45 degree angle---if a corner points to where you're throwing from---you'll get some cool wicked caroms off it. Some of which will go in the water.

This way is facing the tee

11667502_10153054554937843_2634264929249211307_n.jpg

11745683_10153054555052843_8114526203723621000_n.jpg

11059909_10153054554747843_3865404291602959947_n.jpg
Looks totally fair, unique and memorable to me. Love it!

I foresee some nasty bounces and rollaways! :p

Last edited:
That is a cool hole!!
I'm sure I would frequently end up under the tray inside the structure!!

Looks okay but I would remove perhaps the front lower panel for easy access to get at your disc in or under the basket.

Discs hitting any edge of that thin metal will most likely do major damage to base plastic putters (good probability too with each edge so close to baskets sweet spot).

I personally think it's cool looking and unique, but if I played the course often It may start to feel gimmicky and a nuisance?

I just looked at the photos of your course..awesome without a doubt has to be the most unique course ever..Great job and beautiful country.