• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can I really go anywhere throwing forehand?

dlognittam

Bogey Member
Basically I've been playing this great game for a few months, and learned to drive forehand. My question is that should I continue this, or learn backhand (since 99% of the people I've seen play or that I've played with throw RHBH)?

I'm at the point now to where I know what my discs are going to do most of the time, but am still a beginner I guess. So should I keep improving my RHFH or switch to RHBH and do the whole disc down thing before it's too late?

Do both,I had done only RHFH for the first 6 or 7 months,been developing a backhand slowly,i would start with slower discs when you switch over,it makes the transition a lot easier,but i've noticed a lot more consistent scoring and shot shaping,especially when I have the option for whatever I need. So now instead of shooting low every now and then,my past few rounds have all been around even,which is nice.

Can I really go anywhere throwing forehand?

Aye, laddie, ye can if your heart is willing and your form is true.

1261715_o.gif

(it's really nice to be able to do both)

When I first started playing I threw exclusively forehand. I continued that for many many years and just recently started developing my backhand throw.

I still can't get the same distance with a backhand that I can forehanded, but I'm finding that the backhand gives me much more control.

The fundamental difference in flight of the two throws is that a backhand will spin much more than a forehand. The added spin opens up a variety of shots that are just not available to a forehander.

For instance, throw an understable disc forehand and you're likely to flip it end up with an out of control roller. However, with the backhand, that same disc might take a nice slow left to right turn.

When you're first starting out, I think it's important to focus on one style to master. Once you're comfortable with that, work from the other side. Having both shots available in your arsenal will give you a huge leg up on most other players.

Funny, I am almost 99% backhand and ask myself the same question...

A good player needs to master just as many techniques as he has discs in his bag. Sure, I can "get by" without a forehand by using extremely understable discs but there are just some shots you need a true backhand or forehand for.

Having both available to you could easily remove 5 strokes from your score. Unfortuntaly, I'm on this forum much more than I'm on the practice field or the course.

The fundamental difference in flight of the two throws is that a backhand will spin much more than a forehand. The added spin opens up a variety of shots that are just not available to a forehander.

For instance, throw an understable disc forehand and you're likely to flip it end up with an out of control roller. However, with the backhand, that same disc might take a nice slow left to right turn.

the spin doesn't really affect the types of shots you can throw either FH or BH. You just have to practice both. It's very possible to throw a RHFH turnover shot that works from right to left just like a natural RHBH shot. I would actually recommend learning FH with understable drivers. It will help you learn decent form and snap. Most folks learn with overstable discs that fly more like projectiles than discs because their spin to arm speed ratio is way off (too much arm speed).

Yes, you need a back hand. I threw only RHBH for 8+ years. Then one day someone convinced me that i needed a FH.(and took the time to show me). Like rhensel said, you need a wide range of shot types - even more than a FH/BH. I.e. - thumber, roller, grenade, etc.

On my local course, hole 2 is a '325 sweeping dogleg to the right. In the beginning, I was having a hard time holding an anny for that long, making it one of the tougher holes on a relatively easy course. Now i just lay an easy RHFH out there to about 275 and its an easy 3.

IMO you need a plethora of shot types - the more the better.

Def work on it. It never hurts to be able to throw to many shots...

^^ This..... My Bro in Law is a par shooter and he only throws forehand.... This year he decided to learn RHBH and now he's making some birdies....So yes you can be good with only RHFH, but learning something else can only help

I began playing as a RHBH player and learned forehand and got to be a better player. It will help your game if you are able to throw both. There are some courses that I play 90% forehand and some that I play 90% backhand.

BroD touched on this but I'll go into more depth, only if your form is true.

You could go somewhere playing FH only if you could cover similar lines to a BH player. If you have the form to throw with a right curve, a left one, and actually straight, instead of the big sloppy flex shots associated with most FH players.

Basically I've been playing this great game for a few months, and learned to drive forehand. My question is that should I continue this, or learn backhand (since 99% of the people I've seen play or that I've played with throw RHBH)?

I'm at the point now to where I know what my discs are going to do most of the time, but am still a beginner I guess. So should I keep improving my RHFH or switch to RHBH and do the whole disc down thing before it's too late?

Forehand can be pretty tough on your elbow. Backhand can be tough on the knees. Either is avoidable with good form, but backhand is the less likely to cause injury in most people.

It's a good idea to be able to do both, but I focused on backhand first, and would recommend going that way. A good backhand is the backbone of most successful golfers' game.

Forehand can be pretty tough on your elbow. Backhand can be tough on the knees. Either is avoidable with good form, but backhand is the less likely to cause injury in most people.

It's a good idea to be able to do both, but I focused on backhand first, and would recommend going that way. A good backhand is the backbone of most successful golfers' game.

My elbow has never hurt.

I've won many open and masters events only throwing forehand. The key is knowing which courses they are an advantage on. Having a strong putting game also helps.

RHBH is a great skill to have. Learn it and you will have more options for your shots. I currently throw RHBH/RHFH but I'm now learning LHBH so that I will have more options (and so I will be able to teach form through learning it myself!)

Define "need".

It's definitely to your advantage throwing and mastering both.

But being exclusively RHFH isn't all that different from a lefty who exclusively throws backhand. And I know one of those who's terrific.

My elbow has never hurt.

I've won many open and masters events only throwing forehand. The key is knowing which courses they are an advantage on. Having a strong putting game also helps.

Hysell your records speaks for itself but I don't see it being relevant here. Yes, it's possible to avoid injury. Yes, you're more likely to injure yourself while throwing for distance. No, I don't want to base my decision to play a course on how friendly it is to my play style. Yes, having a good putting game is important regardless of your throwing style. That being said, putting is for old guys who have given up on throwing farther and have wised up a bit.

But being exclusively RHFH isn't all that different from a lefty who exclusively throws backhand.

That's not true. The speed a disc spins on a forehand release vs a backhand release is very different. This leads to very different flight characteristics (land speed to spin speed ratio is very different). I can't explain the physics of why this is, I just know it is true. LHBH is not equal to RHFH.

That being said, putting is for old guys who have given up on throwing farther and have wised up a bit.

Also very wrong. If your short game is strong, you don't need to park your drive to hit a birdie. Learn to putt consistently from 30 feet and you'll really start to see your scores drop.

Also very wrong. If your short game is strong, you don't need to park your drive to hit a birdie. Learn to putt consistently from 30 feet and you'll really start to see your scores drop.

It was kind of a joke/dig on chris. If you'll notice in the sentence immediately preceding I say putting is important and then in the sentence you quote I say the old guys are the smart ones anyway...

I really don't think he was serious on the putting is for old people comment. I read an invisible smiley into that post.

EDIT: and I was correct!

I thought it might have been a joke. Couldn't tell. I still stand by my RHFH not equal to LHBH comment though!

Latest posts