• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can Overweight Guys Throw Far?

All kinds of body types

I know all kinds of people that do well, and no so well, at disc golf, and there is no specific correlation to body type, etc.

Greg Barsby weights 20, maybe 25 pounds, and can throw 500 feet all day long. I also know a couple guys that are over 300 pounds that have about the most fluid moves you will see on the teepad as well as when putting, and they easily smooth a drive 400+.

I remember ConnerJones posted a picture of himself driving, and the picture showed he had made a full turn and his left hip was pointing down the line, so that is great, it shows he has his turn working, and it will just get better over time.

I think bigger guys are a little less likely to make substantive turns, so they tend to leave their weight back, instead of into the throw, you do not need a fast move, just a turn that keeps the body rotating/moving forward, and make sure the arm is synched with the body, a good drill is to try to keep the disc aligned with the center of the sternum while turning, this will help develop timing that keeps some correlation to where the disc is relative to your hips and shoulders as you turn.

I also think bigger guys may not lean forward enough, your weight should be slightly forward when driving, so lean forward a little more, then synch the disc to your sternum, do a nice smooth turn and let the disc rip, follow thru, do not throw it up, throw it flat.

And getting distance (and control) in disc golf is more about developing and tuning the small muscles more than the big muscles, and the small muscles take time to develop and get tuned, so patience is required. I am 6'3", 230 pounds, and used to enter (and win) bench press contests down in SoCal, and getting better at disc golf has been about getting more limber, versus stronger. A relaxed body is better than a tense body when throwing.

My best friend is 6' 5", 350 lbs. and he can throw like 450 on his best day. And his form is terrible. So I'd say yeah...they can. He's not hugely obese or anything...but he's got a belly on him. Well so do i...but I can only throw 350 with great form. But I'm only 5' 4".

I get that I have pretty clean form pretty often, I think i'm a few small changes from 400 being easy.

I need to start losing weight. Not only for my golf game, but for my overall health as well.

Nothing to add. Do yourself a favor :) I am working on it aswell.

Another side effect of losing weigth : you have more endurance and can practice longer, which will make you even better :)

6'1" 250 isn't as big as you'd think xD I'm rocking 6'1" 345!

been playing about 5-6 months can drive 300ft regularly. I'm still fixing my flaws before I actually put real power behind my throws.

I'm about 6'1 and 240 and i don't think of myself as fat. haha, and i don't think i suffer too much from my extra weight. I can get a disc 400 foot easy if i focus . I swear , when my form is great on a throw, and my weight shift is perfect, the extra weight just adds force to the drive.

Isn't it Paige Pierce who weighs next to nothing yet bombs it pretty deep? Maybe she even won the distance contest at Worlds?

Just sayin'...

6'1" 250 isn't as big as you'd think xD I'm rocking 6'1" 345!

I used to weigh 310...and I was starting to get short of breath just walking. It was time to lose weight so I lost over 60 pounds. I've gained a couple pounds back, but need to lose more again.

The replies in this thread are refreshing. I'm sure the majority of players are trim, but it's good to know there's a few "huskys" around like myself.

I too am a heavier guy on my way back down under 300 pounds soon, due to playing about 90 holes a week for my first year. I probably average 290-310' on my drives in a flat, open field, but have seen distance increasing with experience as much as weight loss. :clap:

Paige Pierce?

World Champ... see the Ti Stalker in her name... :p

f7d5f9f6.jpg

Paige Pierce women's distance winner 2012 worlds

FYI, Paige Pierce women's distance winner 2012 worlds with 480'
Jeremy Koling 693'

sorry no pic

Big Sky, I'm guessing you're not old, but age is a bigger factor than size, as you get older [TWSS]. You lose the quick twitch fibers, even if you have the technique.
This is from like a year ago, so the peak now is 803' IIRC.
age meters feet (approx. ~X3)
5 43.23 130
10 121.65 365
15 178.9 537
peak 250 750 [ now 803'?]
35-44 200.06 600
45-54 170 510
55-64 168 504
65+ 77.31 232

So look at your future and weep!!!
BWAAHAHAAHAA!!!