• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can we cut the #growthesport thing already?

Why does the sport need more of this?

These generalities absent any justification are exactly what spawns the concerns being discussed in this thread.

Just because my single thread post didn't contain justification doesn't mean its nonexistent. I'm not about to recap the entire struggle against stigma that this sport has faced in this thread.

On top of that, let me ask the question - why does positive, constructive work need justification in the first place? It stands on its own merits. Having a social media support structure and community growing (digitally) from a multitude of (physical) good deeds just doesn't seem to me something worth whining about just because one person misuses it.

I don't do the social media thing, and was unaware this hash tag was everywhere. I have seen posts on these board that I now understand were sarcastically referencing it though. Funny stuff.

On top of that, let me ask the question - why does positive, constructive work need justification in the first place? It stands on its own merits. Having a social media support structure and community growing (digitally) from a multitude of (physical) good deeds just doesn't seem to me something worth whining about just because one person misuses it.

One cannot define what acts do and do constitute "good deeds", so no, it does not stand on it's own merits :doh:

Well I guess you *can* make up your own definitions, but they'll be idiosyncratic.

(just noticed the "struggle against stigma", awesome :rolleyes:)

(just noticed the "struggle against stigma", awesome :rolleyes:)

LOL! For real..........

We are taking disc golf. Most people think it is a drug ridden activity and far from a sport. How a simple hashtag ever fixes that is beyond me. I dont even tell people I disc golf anymore its that bad of a reaction.

Cant imagine what it is like claiming to be a pro disc golfers etc. Manufactures are only ones benefiting from #growthesport really.

A tougher question/comparison:

How many people that are against the "#growthesport mentality, are also complaining that there's no LIVE coverage at Pro Worlds?

Can't have it both ways, people.

Seems that there wouldn't be many (as few bother watching worlds coverage live or otherwise)

Ha interesting, well I completely agree: "You can't have it both ways"

Doesn't apply to my case specifically :)

One cannot define what acts do and do constitute "good deeds", so no, it does not stand on it's own merits :doh:

Well I guess you *can* make up your own definitions, but they'll be idiosyncratic.

Your extreme postmodernist mental masturbation aside, I think I'm not going too far out on a limb to say that there's commonly agreed upon "good deeds" in the context of affecting and growing a local disc golf community...specifically ones that would pair well with the social media hashtag being discussed.

If you agree with the OP, just say so...you're making points in a rather roundabout way.

I agree with OP.

How much are you charging for advertising slots? #growtherevenue

#growtherevenue

Yeah, it would just be terrible if the media had more money to make more/better content, one day do live productions, or *gasp* maybe pay those who do the work of 5 people a living wage.

...imagine the horror if people whose businesses make products specifically for disc golfers could actually market straight to their demographic, so they could grow their businesses' revenue, and we would know who to support (and benefit from those products).

So, actually yeah, I like it! #growtherevenue is a two way street. I like win-wins. ;)

What could possibly go wrong?

I'll be eagerly awaiting the carpetbaggers and all the winning that I've been promised.

Yeah, it would just be terrible if the media had more money to make more/better content, one day do live productions, or *gasp* maybe pay those who do the work of 5 people a living wage.

...imagine the horror if people whose businesses make products specifically for disc golfers could actually market straight to their demographic, so they could grow their businesses' revenue, and we would know who to support (and benefit from those products).

So, actually yeah, I like it! #growtherevenue is a two way street. I like win-wins. ;)
You complain way too much about not making money doing disc golf media. I'm sorry about your financial problems, but they are your problems. I don't see other media personalities on here repeatedly complaining about the amount of money they make. They mostly just ask for patreon help and thank their sponsors. If your employer can't fully fund you, perhaps you should ask them to allow you to have other sources of income. You love the sport, we love the sport. You do quality work, so why not ask?

You complain way too much about not making money doing disc golf media. I'm sorry about your financial problems, but they are your problems. I don't see other media personalities on here repeatedly complaining about the amount of money they make. They mostly just ask for patreon help and thank their sponsors. If your employer can't fully fund you, perhaps you should ask them to allow you to have other sources of income. You love the sport, we love the sport. You do quality work, so why not ask?

You mistake my intentions. I'm not complaining that I don't get paid. I chose this life, knowing full well the risks, financial and otherwise. A key piece of information that may change your perspective is that I do the budgets for the US events. I routinely give a flat percent discount on top of my already discounted rate so that I can bring Ian, Jonathan, etc. on board as my crew. It would be hypocritical of me to do that and then complain to the public. I'm willingly taking less so that our big picture goals stay on track.

I'm talking about growing the job opportunities in disc golf specific media, imagine it just like any other ancillary service - apparel, pro shops/retailers, disc bags, rosin bags, etc. It takes more training than most realize to execute what we're all doing, and we're all doing multiple jobs (as I've said plenty of times). We need more people with talent, and people with talent won't stay for hopes and dreams, they want to be paid. As demand for quality and bells/whistles grows, we have less time on our hands to train people - so we have to pay people who already have knowledge. If I keep bringing more people on (as is my goal to keep pushing the envelope), that's not going to result in me getting a pay raise anytime soon...so like I said, this isn't about my bank account, it's about creating an industry from scratch so that one day EVERYONE gets paid.

Imagine my job like this - there's a train coming, and I'm running ahead of it trying to lay down the track so it doesn't derail.

Your extreme postmodernist mental masturbation aside, I think I'm not going too far out on a limb to say that there's commonly agreed upon "good deeds" in the context of affecting and growing a local disc golf community...specifically ones that would pair well with the social media hashtag being discussed.

If you agree with the OP, just say so...you're making points in a rather roundabout way.

OK, cool. You've not at all understood the point of the thread.

The point is that we all want the sport to grow and flourish. But the specific #growthesport hashtag seems to be getting used predominately by people that just want credit for ****, and/or want to make a couple of bucks from disc golfers and/or don't want to have to face criticism for some stupid decision they made, all because they did it in the name of "growing the sport". Just...do your thing. And if it's good or quality, people will join in, or buy your product, or watch your videos. There is a way to advertise things without coming across like a muppet.

Work days. Throwing a good tournament. Hosting league nights.
These are all things a lot of people do each week without feeling the need to have someone stroke their ego. The #growthesport garbage tends to come as self serving and cringey.

Fun story :
When I was 19, someone let me listen to an ICP CD. I thought it was kind of funny, and they were pretty entertaining. So when they came to Seattle, I bought a ticket and went to the show. I had ZERO idea that the juggalo culture existed before I went to that concert. After that night, I never listened to another ICP tune again.
What I think I am saying is that #growthesport is the psychopathic records of disc golf.

Latest posts