• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you be considered a "Pro" and have 0 Aces?

You know, when I posted that page pierces huge ace was luck, I was chastised by everyone, even though I said it was still amazing. Now I see everyone on this thread saying aces are luck and noone is beating them down. What up?

Welcome to teh Interwebz ;)

Am I the only one confused by this?

Yes.

A "pro" is someone who plays for money. Being good enough to play for money in the highest division, has nothing to do with previously hitting an ace.

A novice could hit a 200 foot ace, and still card a 68 on a par 54 course.

I basically wanted to find out how many people knew of "pros" without aces. This thing snowballed into so many directions, but I'm not shocked, and appreciate all the feedback :hfive:

Here's my question: If a current pro didn't have any aces, would he or she be brave enough to admit it, or would ego get in the way?

^ I imagine if you're good enough (high enough rating) and had no aces, it wouldn't matter much to admit...but that's just MY guess.

"Can you be considered a pro?" - Sure, technically you just need to accept cash. But are there any legit pros without an ace (pros with any sort of national or regional fame)? I HIGHLY doubt it.

^ Am I the only one confused by this? I'd rather take a "1" than a "2" any day :)

Even if aces are few and far between, if I could choose between "Birdie/Eagle/Double Eagle" or "ace" I think we all know the logical choice.

answer to yhe OP is ABSOLUTELY. The difference between an Ace and a duece is just a single stroke on the card. Aces are really only more impressive in peoples' minds. In a tournament, I'd rather get fist full of birdies than a single Ace. It's not like someone's gonna Ace a par 4 or 5. No one gets Aces consistently. A good pro sets up birdie opportunities pretty consistently (depending on the course).