• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you carry discs on a plane?

All it takes is one TSA guy who has watched too much 007 and has seen what Oddjob can do with a hat to raise the alarm bells.

If you bag a Sidewinder, Cobra, Krait, Mamba, or Rattler, be sure you're not flying with Samuel L. Jackson.

I think their concern comes from the fact that discs with metal salts as weighting agents can look like sharp metal discs on the x-ray machine if the tech doesn't know what they are already. Once they actually look in the bag it's never an issue.

Right. Having x-rayed a few discs (used to work in security) it is suprising that a plastic disc golf disc has the same x-ray signature as a metal plate, if only a little lighter. But the colour of them on the screen is indeed blue (metallic, or similar) rather than orange (plastic, or similar) which might raise suscpicion before they see what they really are.

Also, if a whole stack of them are x-rayed at an inopportune angle, it may create a black area in the image (rays not able to penetrate the material fully for analysis), in which case they will need to open the bag or rescan it at another angle to make sure no restricted items are in that area.

I did get asked one time if the discs in my bag were metal. I replied that they are plastic and they let me move on.

I was expecting to get some pushback returning with my trophy (metal mini-basket) from the Memorial this year, but no TSA agent even batted an eye despite the metal bars.

I've flown about 3 times with a disc golf bag full of discs as my carry on. Never even got searched once.

I always fly with my simian, fully loaded (of course, I empty the 3 liter camelbak reservoir) and have never had an issue. Just returned from a multi-city adventure and had no issues in any airport - Vegas, Denver, San Diego, Memphis.

I must look extra suspicious or something because they're always stopping me. I got stopped just last month flying domestically within Japan. The guy looked right at me and said, "Dinna Prates?"

I've flown with discs about 2 dozen times, I have been stopped, and asked to open my bag about 1/3 times. Twice i've had them wiped down and tested for whatever that test tests for (explosives?). Typically though, i just get asked what they are.

Never had a real issue.