• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you shoot 'Par' on your home course?

Can you shoot "Par" on your home course?

• Total voters

Stud Muffin

Banned
On discussion from another thread, a number of posts disagreed on advice I had given because they players said they could not shoot par on their local courses from the shortest tees.

So let me narrow the question to "Can you shoot 'Par' on your home course?" Home course being the one you play the most. By par, I mean the par the Course Designer has said is par. If the CD says a 100' wide open hole is a par 5, then it is a par 5.

I understand that there are huge differences in courses. When I was in Mobile, the course was Langan Park:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=75

It was hard to be able to par, even from the shortest tees. I was just learning the game, and even after playing a while, there were 2 holes I absolutely could not reach in 2, and one of the I had massive trouble reaching in 3. Also, we played by the 'all are par 3's' rule, and I spare you that, I was shooting par on the course long before I was able to shoot 54 on it. I played the course so much that I just knew where I had to be to make 3. Some holes I could birdie, and the long holes I worked hard at 'only' making a 4 on them, so for 2 holes I was +2, the other 16 I had to shoot -2, and I found out a way to do it. It wasn't that I was any good, just I played the course so much.

Now a course I play often, and is a toss up on 'home course' status is Jokerst:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2712&mode=ci

This is a course the first time I played it, I shot par from the back tees. The par is too easy, but hey, that is what the CD says it is, then that is what it is.

Ok, so I am NOT making this thread to ride people who can not par their home course from the shortest tees, but I would like to help, and I am sure others would as well, to help you be able to accomplish this. There are many aspects, from the mental approach, the game plan for the course, more pragmatic discs to use to accomplish a task needed.

Maybe some courses are just too long even from the short tees, and you may not be able to throw 300' consistently. No matter what the cause, I know I would like to see everyone at least have the potential to shoot par from the short tees of a course they play most all the time.

Last edited:
I'm pissed when I don't shoot under par at my home course (Vista Del Camino). I average around -3 to -7

I picked both. I don't have one true home course, but there are some courses that I play regularly that I can par, and others that I can't.

I used to not be able to finish par on my course until about 10 months ago.
Now i can finish around -3 under on average on my home course:Elysian Park:)

I shot par/under par at my home course for like 3 weeks straight,then didnt for about a month,was -2 last night with like 6 holes left,finished +2,awwwhhh yeah.

I shot "par" my first time playing Hornet's nest(not the web). I really wish I lived in Charlotte so I could play Renny, Nevin, and HN every day. I understand now why they say that area breeds champions. Here locally it really varies on where I go. We have several courses where under par is the norm and there are a couple like Cedar Hill where depending upon the layout, you are happy with anything at all in the 50's. My home course is 23 holes par 69 and I average a 63, so yea... I'm under. Good thread.

Last edited:
I have never shot par from the Whites (middle legnth). However, during the last tournament at my home course, Oak Meadow, par was a 989 rated round. From the Blues, the par is over a 1,000 rated round.

I picked both. I don't have one true home course, but there are some courses that I play regularly that I can par, and others that I can't.

I understand that. I kill Jokerst, but have trouble with West City.

If you would like, just name 1 course you play a lot, and have trouble with, and we can all pool ideas for a game plan for you to accomplish it.

I have 3 courses I would consider 'home' for various reasons.
1) Knob Hill - used to play there the most because it is the easiest to get to and the quickest round. It also has a vendetta against me... or maybe it's just the trees there that do... but anyway I just finally broke par there for the first time on Wednesday. Granted, almost every pin is in A position but I'm still very proud of breaking my long-standing record of +8 four times in a week and getting a -1 (from whites)

2) Moraine - I have actually only played here like 8 times but it's the closest mileage wise. I can shoot par here but haven't yet (yeah yeah...) My best is +2 from whites. I'd probably shoot par if I went this weekend. Speaking of which... I should do that.

3) Deer Lakes - my current 'most played' course but it's about 40 minutes out whereas Knob and Moraine are both ~30. I've broken par a few times from reds but it seems like the jump from red to white is severe for me and I can't do any better than +7 from whites at the moment. Hoping to change that before The Hunt next month :D

Simply put: No. I have form and accuracy issues that I've been correcting, but I'm not quite there yet.

I've come close at the Little Lehigh Parkway and at South Mountain, but not at or under. I've probably shot under par at DeSales, but I don't really keep track or play there that much any more.

I don't have a home course per se, we play many regularly. I do usually shoot par or under at Limona Park in Brandon, Fl and Youth Park in Pinellas Park. Cliff Stevens is tough and we normally play the longs, and I still haven't parred Taylor Park yet but we play the long tees there too.

Last edited:
I have 3 courses I would consider 'home' for various reasons.
1) Knob Hill - used to play there the most because it is the easiest to get to and the quickest round. It also has a vendetta against me... or maybe it's just the trees there that do... but anyway I just finally broke par there for the first time on Wednesday.

:thmbup:

Simply put: No. I have form and accuracy issues that I've been correcting, but I'm not quite there yet.

I've come close at the Little Lehigh Parkway and at South Mountain, but not at or under. I've probably shot under par at DeSales, but I don't really keep track or play there that much any more.

Which one do you play more?
I would like to help.

I consistently shoot -7 at my home course according to signed par, which is +3 using 'pro par', or 3 per hole. It's a 9-hole course with an average hole length of 398'. Carding a 0, for me at least, is a rare treat, and something that I work toward.

Do I vote "no" because if I shot par at my home course, I'd probably cry due to how bad the round was. Even on the days of hurricane winds, I typically still manage -2 to -4.

Either way, I voted "Yes".

Yes, I average a 48 or a 47 on my home course, which is a -11 or -12 according to posted par.

In all reality, every hole is a par 3, so that's -6 or -7, but that's still under.

Latest posts