• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you win without distance? ... YES!

The champ can throw 450+ this is why he can throw 350 lines precisely. The longer throwers produce more snap which equates to more control. A player who has to finesse distance with hyzer flips and flex shots will have a more difficult time than a pure longer thrower. If you can throw 450 you are generating a ton of spin and more spin on a slower disc equates to control.
Putting is often all about spin from beyond 25 feet so it also favors the longer thrower.
I'd ponder that those who use a glidey disc to finesse 400 will never be in the same league as those who pump a teebird 400+
me included

If it's any consolation, I can get eagles, TLs, and stalkers out 400+ but I'd be willing to bet you'd mop the course with me. Inconsistency will be the death of me.
I definitely prefer throwing hyzerflips and flex shots though. They are just too much fun.

If it's any consolation, I can get eagles, TLs, and stalkers out 400+ but I'd be willing to bet you'd mop the course with me. Inconsistency will be the death of me.
I definitely prefer throwing hyzerflips and flex shots though. They are just too much fun.

Haha! I feel your pain. I'm the guy that bombs a drive and then procedes to miss a 20 foot putt while I watch another guy in the group drop a 35 footer for a two. Inconsistency gets the better of me. One day I can go out and push putters to 300' dead straight and the next day I just don't feel it and I'll oat 150' approaches. The pros don't have those kind of days. They are pretty consistent every time they step on a course. I haven't been playing that long so its all slowly coming together. I just have to put all those pieces together in the same round! Its a stretch but its pretty cool info in the OP.

What was postulated was that you could compete at a high level maxing out around 300 or a little higher. And I believe that to be true.
Actually it shows that you can compete at higher levels if you're super accurate at 300', not if you max out at 300'. If you're super accurate at 300' you're probably throwing at least 350'.

The Champ is often said to throw not much more than 350-400 ft at his peak -- yet he has 12 World titles. He set the record for highest rated round ever (1117) just 3 years ago (not during his run in the 1990's), by being that near-perfect 300/30 guy.
I'm not sure where you got that 350'-400' number. Here's where he talks about using longer Rocs at around 350' or so, and Vipers and Gazelles for 400' shots:

[url]http://www.kenclimo.com/distance.htm[/url] said:
For shorter drives, I throw Rocs. In the 350' range, I throw my longer rocks or short-range Vipers. It depends on the angle and the trees. At 400 feet, I'm throwing Vipers and the new retooled Gazelle. It's a favorite of mine.

The story I always heard was that the first "distance" driver he got to go 400' was a Stingray.

i havent read through this whole thread so this may have been said. one thing throwing far allows you to do is have more options. when faced with a 350ft wooded teeshot its nice to have the option to throw a big hyzer around everything if the line is there. i think throwing far also allows you to understand what all your discs are capable of which allows you to shape different lines than you may normally be able to do. that being said, i am able to get out to 425ft accurately but often get beat by people who only throw 325ft so there is a lot to be said for a good short game. while its nice to get some oohs and aahs off the tee, its aggravating to miss a 25footer and take a 3.

But the OP (nor anyone I read) never said emphatically, "...[increasing]distance does not help your game...." What was postulated was that you could compete at a high level maxing out around 300 or a little higher. And I believe that to be true.

Actually it shows that you can compete at higher levels if you're super accurate at 300', not if you max out at 300'. If you're super accurate at 300' you're probably throwing at least 350'.

Ok, ok, I guess I gotta choose my words more carefully. I believe the OP was saying you could compete at a high level without throwing 500+, not that you were "maxing" (wrong word choice on my part) at just over 300. Yes, the point I was making was about accuracy.

The Champ is often said to throw not much more than 350-400 ft at his peak -- yet he has 12 World titles. He set the record for highest rated round ever (1117) just 3 years ago (not during his run in the 1990's), by being that near-perfect 300/30 guy.

I'm not sure where you got that 350'-400' number. Here's where he talks about using longer Rocs at around 350' or so, and Vipers and Gazelles for 400' shots:

The story I always heard was that the first "distance" driver he got to go 400' was a Stingray.

Can't say exactly where I originally saw that, and yes, I was speaking about his unbelievable pinpoint accuracy up to 400 and even pinpoint with rollers (It's amazing to watch!) Reference his record round that I talked about. Yes I realize he CAN throw beyond 400-ft. But I also have read many places where Champ was once quoted as saying something like, "...anyone who can throw 375-ft (accurately) can win a world title." It's out there if you wanna research it.

Can't say exactly where I originally saw that, and yes, I was speaking about his unbelievable pinpoint accuracy up to 400 and even pinpoint with rollers (It's amazing to watch!) Reference his record round that I talked about. Yes I realize he CAN throw beyond 400-ft. But I also have read many places where Champ was once quoted as saying something like, "...anyone who can throw 375-ft (accurately) can win a world title." It's out there if you wanna research it.
But what players can throw 375'-400' with that type of accuracy but also can't push 450'-500' on a distance line with a distance driver? Perhaps I'm forgetting someone, but how many Pro Open World champions haven't been able to bomb since Climo started winning? If throwing far is so unimportant when it comes to winning worlds, how come most, if not all of the winners can throw far? Shouldn't some guy who spent his time practicing putting instead of learning to throw far have a big advantage?

But I also have read many places where Champ was once quoted as saying something like, "...anyone who can throw 375-ft (accurately) can win a world title." It's out there if you wanna research it
But if you're only accurate at 85% of your max (I even bumped it up from the 80% that no one disagreed with before), then you're throwing 440' max if you want to be accurate at 375'. Most consider that to be pretty respectable D.

I totally agree that HUGE distance doesn't make a disc golfer. I've been telling people that I personally think all you need to hit is 400'. The rest is solid up shots and putting. How many courses even have 700-800' shots? Unless every hole is a wide open 700' bomber, throwing 400' is perfect.

I totally agree that HUGE distance doesn't make a disc golfer. I've been telling people that I personally think all you need to hit is 400'. The rest is solid up shots and putting. How many courses even have 700-800' shots? Unless every hole is a wide open 700' bomber, throwing 400' is perfect.

But if 400' is your max D then you can't compete. The difference between my league average and the top guys in my leagues average is they can out drive me by 75'.

This gives them options I don't have
This gives them putts when I'm approaching
This gives them a huge advantage in the head game of golf

There are no 700'-800' holes on my home course, but there are 4 that are over 400', one 360'ish up a huge hill that plays 400', a couple that require big anhyzers which adds distance, a 370' tight wooded fairway hole which isn't at all forgiving to stray distance drivers.

The point being that tons of holes in the 350'-400' range have elevation, trees, etc that make them play longer or force par at best golf.
If you can't throw 450' with decent accuracy your odds of winning, especially at higher levels, are pretty slim. It's like showing up at a tournament with only mids and putters, your game is too limited.

^^ I'm not saying big D isn't good. It DOES have a mental effect on other players for sure! I'm just saying that throwing 500' doesn't make you a good disc golfer. Hitting lines and making putts does. I know plenty of guys that throw a little over 400' consistently and tear courses up! I've also seen guys that can throw over 500' that are inconsistent.

Again I'm not saying throwing really really far isn't good, I just think it's not required. Focusing on how far you can throw, can really hurt your game...I can tell you all about that! :)

You only need to throw 400' or so to be 1005-1010 rated. To be 1010+ rated I think you really need that extra D.

I actually think Worlds in Charlotte this year may favor a player who is more accurate and cannot bomb quite as far as the top guys. (Of course this still means a player with 450' of golf distance :p)

Latest posts