• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can't believe how much stuff goes missing on our course.

This is why we can't have nice things

I have a couple of rules that have worked for me when building a course

the power of 15s

and

the principle of laziness:thrill ratio

the power of 15s -make sure everything is heavy enough that 15 year olds do not have the power to lift it up and take it or throw it. The theory is that most vandalism is caused by pre-driving teen makes who wander the parks and have nothing better to do than destroy things for fun. If your benches are made of heavy stone, your rubber pads are well over 100 lbs, and generally everything is just too heavy for a 15 year old to pick up or knock over (this also covers weakling druggies and many non-athletic disgruntled adults and spiteful old ladies) then your course infrastructure will last. Once a destructive teenage male turns 16 he typically starts driving to other towns and is done wandering parks to cause cool vandalism.

eg. "Hey man let's go steal that rubber mat....1,2,3, oh **** this sucks lets go flip that bench....1,2,3.....damn it's made of stone...this sucks let's go to 7-11 and flip the trash cans again"

principle of laziness:thrill ratio-if your infrastructure is built well enough or heavy enough or enough problems arise that a vandals desire for destruction is overwhelmed by his basic laziness than you have yourself solid design.

eg. yo look at that basket..let's go f-ck sh1t up......why are there so many thorn bushes between us and the basket...this sucks man let's throw rocks at trains instead" (I drug an acres worth of thorns between the train tracks and my course to punish drifters from the tracks from attempting to ruin my course)

This is why we can't have nice things

I have a couple of rules that have worked for me when building a course

the power of 15s

and

the principle of laziness:thrill ratio

the power of 15s -make sure everything is heavy enough that 15 year olds do not have the power to lift it up and take it or throw it. The theory is that most vandalism is caused by pre-driving teen makes who wander the parks and have nothing better to do than destroy things for fun. If your benches are made of heavy stone, your rubber pads are well over 100 lbs, and generally everything is just too heavy for a 15 year old to pick up or knock over (this also covers weakling druggies and many non-athletic disgruntled adults and spiteful old ladies) then your course infrastructure will last. Once a destructive teenage male turns 16 he typically starts driving to other towns and is done wandering parks to cause cool vandalism.

eg. "Hey man let's go steal that rubber mat....1,2,3, oh **** this sucks lets go flip that bench....1,2,3.....damn it's made of stone...this sucks let's go to 7-11 and flip the trash cans again"

principle of laziness:thrill ratio-if your infrastructure is built well enough or heavy enough or enough problems arise that a vandals desire for destruction is overwhelmed by his basic laziness than you have yourself solid design.

eg. yo look at that basket..let's go f-ck sh1t up......why are there so many thorn bushes between us and the basket...this sucks man let's throw rocks at trains instead" (I drug an acres worth of thorns between the train tracks and my course to punish drifters from the tracks from attempting to ruin my course)

:clap::hfive::thmbup:

Ugg. Just installed steel plates to mark tee areas. Drove them into the ground good, they would be VERY difficult if not impossible to remove without a tool of some sort. Put the last one in this morning right before our first tournament on the course. We already have our first one stolen: it went walking in the 90 minutes between when I left the tournament for dinner and came back to play (sat out the day since I was TDing, and had to throw some discs). Now I am sitting up drinking because I am too mad to sleep. Ruined what would've been one of my best/proudest days ever.

I really struggle with stupid and that's why I have hard times finding new people to play with. And this just reeks of stupid. WTF are you going to do with this sh!t?!? I mean seriously, "oh I'm going to take this random stake and put it on my counter as a trophy." I'm sorry you've got to deal with this garbage. Keep your head up and hopefully this douchebaggery will decline once it's fully functioning.

Yeah all this stupidity is just garbage!
Wish you the best on finishing the course. Stupidity free.

If we removed warning labels do you think natural selection would help eliminate stupidity?! :)

Latest posts