• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can't believe how much stuff goes missing on our course.

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
We just got baskets in, and are putting tee markers/signs in next week. I can't believe how much stuff walks away on us!

We have bricks with arrows guiding people from a basket to the next tee. 3 of them have been dug out of the ground already, and we just put them in last week- so we spent the afternoon cementing the rest in place.

Since tee markers/signs aren't in yet, we have pink surveyor flags denoting tee boxes. I have to replace two or three everytime I play. Today, a thirty year old guy was walking down a path with one. I asked quite politely "do you know what that is." He says "I think they are using it for the disc golf course." I ask "then why did you take it?" He just says "I dunno."

Our course sign isn't in yet. So we have a laminated piece of paper at the beginning of the course with a timeline for when everything can be done, our club contact info, ace race info, and a link to a downloadable map. I replace this every week.

On our blind holes, we have white stakes that are visible from the tee and directly in line with the baskets. 4 of those have gone missing- we'll have to cement those in next spring.

We put surveyor flags up so the city would know where to mow. A line of about 50 of them got stolen, so the mowers really messed up.

And I could go on and on. None of this stuff is expensive- under $30 for all of it probably- but it sure is a pain in the ass. I just don't understand why people take or move it. And I am just really hoping that our permanent (ie: expensive) stuff doesn't go away. You put hundreds of hours and hundreds of your own dollars into something, and this is the reward you get. But today, while cementing the bricks, about a dozen people in 3 different groups were playing the course for their first time, looked like they were having fun, and thanked us. So I guess it is worth it. But man, am I ever wanting to publicly flog some people.

Sorry for the rant.

We just got baskets in, and are putting tee markers/signs in next week. I can't believe how much stuff walks away on us!

We have bricks with arrows guiding people from a basket to the next tee. 3 of them have been dug out of the ground already, and we just put them in last week- so we spent the afternoon cementing the rest in place.

Since tee markers/signs aren't in yet, we have pink surveyor flags denoting tee boxes. I have to replace two or three everytime I play. Today, a thirty year old guy was walking down a path with one. I asked quite politely "do you know what that is." He says "I think they are using it for the disc golf course." I ask "then why did you take it?" He just says "I dunno."

Our course sign isn't in yet. So we have a laminated piece of paper at the beginning of the course with a timeline for when everything can be done, our club contact info, ace race info, and a link to a downloadable map. I replace this every week.

On our blind holes, we have white stakes that are visible from the tee and directly in line with the baskets. 4 of those have gone missing- we'll have to cement those in next spring.

We put surveyor flags up so the city would know where to mow. A line of about 50 of them got stolen, so the mowers really messed up.

And I could go on and on. None of this stuff is expensive- under $30 for all of it probably- but it sure is a pain in the ass. I just don't understand why people take or move it. And I am just really hoping that our permanent (ie: expensive) stuff doesn't go away. You put hundreds of hours and hundreds of your own dollars into something, and this is the reward you get. But today, while cementing the bricks, about a dozen people in 3 different groups were playing the course for their first time, looked like they were having fun, and thanked us. So I guess it is worth it. But man, am I ever wanting to publicly flog some people.

Sorry for the rant.

Flog on!!!!!

but nobody is watching so you must take useless stuff

That's lame man. Why can't people just leave stuff alone?

One thing you may want to do is pull the baskets till everthing is in. This gives players less of a reason to be out there playing and more of a reason to help out. It will also make your course look more official.

Just food for thought.

A course in Iowa was being built, and they had a lot of volunteer help untill the baskets got put in. Only a few helped pour the teepads.

I hate hearing stuff like this, and most likely it's the same idiot or group of idiots.

One thing you may want to do is pull the baskets till everthing is in. This gives players less of a reason to be out there playing and more of a reason to help out. It will also make your course look more official.

Just food for thought.

A course in Iowa was being built, and they had a lot of volunteer help untill the baskets got put in. Only a few helped pour the teepads.

I don't think it is people using the course moving these things. If anything, just by having people there, it might be helping. And I am glad we put the baskets in- we have a few weeks of unexpected good weather, and I am glad they are getting used before winter. Plus, I think the visibility has gotten us about 10 signups for our grand opening tournament next weekend.

However, I am definitely doing this for the next course I built. I had lots of help before the baskets went in. Now I am getting a lot less- guys are spending just as much time on disc golf, but are playing instead of working.

Reminds me of when we were building Moraine State Park. We used surveyor stakes for the tees and pins. One day I went out to the course and every stake had been pulled and thrown into a giant pile on the edge of the fairway on Hole 17. Thanks buddy.

Passive aggressive DB. Most people that do this are the one who think its "Their" park. No one else or nothing else needs to be built here because it will mess up their use of the park. Dont waste the money on signs....yet. Set the post paint the need info. on them. Then install the tee signs next spring/summer. Make sure you have strong tee frames so the people doing this cant do to much damage.

Reminds me of when we were building Moraine State Park. We used surveyor stakes for the tees and pins. One day I went out to the course and every stake had been pulled and thrown into a giant pile on the edge of the fairway on Hole 17. Thanks buddy.

this happens every time i do any course development on an existing or new site. now ive learned, get the shorter stakes and hammer them all the way into the ground, just takes a little more time to find them later but at least no one takes them

Well where I live it is the people who mow the courses screwing things up. They have knocked every tee sign loose and everytime I redo them they just do it again. Next time I redo them I am gonna leave pieces of rebar sticking up out of the concrete that will tear the mower deck up. Maybe they will get it then. They have knocked several baskets out of the ground also,causes demage to them. The city has replaced the parts on them each time their workers mess the baskets up but it just never stops.

Stupid should hurt.

I know its hard but don't let it get you down. There are more good people than bad and many will enjoy and respect what you have built. One idiot can cause a bunch of problems. Their everywhere. Who raises these people? I think they needed spanked as children. Just keep thinking about the life long memories of all the other people that will play the course. We have a hole at a local course with a teepad right under some dirty trees. Guys have wanted to keep a broom there to sweep it off. A guy finally brings one and in less than a week its laying there broken in half. If only you could whip some ass like the old days.......