• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can't believe I traded my River for a Leopard!

cjowo

Eagle Member
I don't want to hate on Leopards, but I traded a River for one a few weeks ago and I ended up missing the River so much that I had to buy another one. I know everyone really likes Pro Leo's, I had an E* too, but they just don't compare to a GL River. I'll never do something that foolish again! :doh:

I did the same but never missed the river again. I recently tried the river again but there is no where in the bag for it for me.

I think the leopard is easier for me to control. The river has some nasty glide and the control factor went down for me. I do think that these can co exist as the leo is better at lower and tighter lines. The river will dominate in the open though that is for sure.

Good luck with the rivers!! well you never know until you try, some times you have to let something go to see!!! Now you know!!

That's so true. You never know until you try. The lack of glide with the Pro and the slight over stability of the E* ruined the idea that the Leo is an under stable control driver. It was fun trying another new disc though. I just can't quit the glide of Lat discs.

Ha ha!! My BH isn't the most powerful, so I needs all the glide I can get. The nose angle thing hasn't ever really been a problem though.

I carry a beat Champ Leo and a fairly new Opto River. I've been watching the GL Rivers every time I go to the store but haven't sprang for one yet... From my experience the Leo has a bit more turn, but I occasionally rip the River RHBH and it turns right with zero fade whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't give one up for the other though. I use the Leo for those rare shots where I need an S-curve that starts heading left, turns right around something and then finally fades back into the fairway. I use the River on more open shots and downhills because I still don't have it dialed in.

Was there something you didn't like about the River that made you get rid of it in the first place?

I've got a beat Star Leopard that might change your mind about them. ;)

That said, I carry a River in my bag. :D

Seriously though, you might want to try and find a somewhat beaten in Star, as they tend to have a little more glide than the other plastics and beat into very workable discs. I had mine out the other day, throwing it head to head with my River, and the only thing I really missed about it was its laser beam straight line ability. MrGlass said it perfectly. The Leo excels at tight, low lines, and the River is awesome in the open.

The river will dominate in the open though that is for sure.

Why do I cringe every time I see the word dominate now?

Ha ha!! My BH isn't the most powerful, so I needs all the glide I can get. The nose angle thing hasn't ever really been a problem though.

The glide works for me too, I really like my River. I'm looking for a light GL to go with the heavier Opto I am using. Also never hard a problem with nose angle either. The opto I have is great for straight line 10' off the ground shots. I do keep a CE Leo in the bag too but never pull it out.

@ GDBP - Not really, just wanted to try something else. Absence made my heart grow fonder, that's for sure. It's cool, I got a sick pearly yellow River yesterday an all is well with the universe again.

Last edited:
That's so true. You never know until you try. The lack of glide with the Pro and the slight over stability of the E* ruined the idea that the Leo is an under stable control driver. It was fun trying another new disc though. I just can't quit the glide of Lat discs.

Impossibru. You either had a freakishly terrible Pro Leo or something doesn't add up.

^was gonna say that too the pro leo packs plenty of glide. Not river glide but it does glide very well. A pro leopard at 7/10 is straight money!!!

I know it sounds crazy! I threw the river for 6 months before ever throwing a Leo, so I might just be biased by the glide of the River, but even my Jackal has a ton more glide than the Pro Leo.

Why do I cringe every time I see the word dominate now?

The glide works for me too, I really like my River. I'm looking for a light GL to go with the heavier Opto I am using. Also never hard a problem with nose angle either. The opto I have is great for straight line 10' off the ground shots. I do keep a CE Leo in the bag too but never pull it out.

Which is why you should contact me so your neglected CE Leo can have a loving home!!! :D

Seriously though, I have 3 in the bag; 175 E*, 167 Champ-Glow that is money & a 171 Pro that is getting to that 7/10 dead straight spot.

I have have a GL River 163 but it stays in the basement.

Last edited:
if you can not get a leo to go straight you have form issues. Disc is far from stable even new ones. Any plastic any weight.

I find them to be bland guess to each their own. The flat champ ones 150g have the most fight with lower power or the older ce ones from what I have thrown.

Latest posts