• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

car hit during play?

99% of people parking their car behind the left field fence at a baseball field are going to recognize there's a potential for damage because they see the field and know what it is and what happens there.

Driving through a park, who except a disc golfer with knowledge of the course is going to recognize there's the remotest chance of something hitting the car, let alone that that something will be a disc?

I think some folks have an inflated sense of how recognized our sport is to the average person. Even when there are signs warning about flying discs near parking lots, most people are picturing beach frisbees, not speed 13 high speed drivers going 50-60 MPH through the air.

they best recognize, might save them some money! You smell me?

No but for real, I agree with you. You break you buy. Sometimes.

Last edited:
Wonder if the dent was small enough for a PDR guy to pull. If that's the case, I'd offer to try that before filing insurance claims.

Ever hit a cop car??
At Herman Hill in Wichita, KS, the course is located right next to police parking. I hit one of their BAT VANs with a hard thrown destroyer and got an ear full from one policeman. Luckily they didn't make me pay for the damage.
:clap::clap:

I would have ran back to my car and sped off.

I would pay for it. I can't say that I would expect someone to pay for mine if it was me. Driving on an access road through a park during recreational activities (mainstream or not) would seem to be outside the limits of prudence. It would be nice if you offered, but, I wouldn't expect it.

From a legal standpoint, as has been stated before, no one really has to pay for anything. But the right thing to do is offer to pay. If you're lucky, like me, you'll have family members in the auto repair business who will do it for cost of materials.

I had a situation similar to this during the summer when I shanked a drive into an older woman's picket fence and scratched some of the paint. I approached her of my own volition and apologized and offered to pay (even though the fence was pretty shabby anyway) and paint it. She was so pleased that SHE actually paid for the paint and the brushes and it took me all of twenty minutes one day to paint it.

So it's all about how you approach someone. If you're generally sorry (and not visibly under the influence) then they are more apt to work with you.

Call cops have them document it. Work with insurance.

If this happened during a sanctioned tournament send the driver to talk to the TD and continue play. MDR told me he broke a back window of a car during a tournament. TD took care of everything while he continued playing.

I have wondered how this situation works at a golf course. Errant shot breaks a window of someone in the parking lot. Did they automatically assume the risk of their car getting hit by parking in a golf parking lot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assumption_of_risk

So my friends and I were playing a round at papago "Mauer" park in Tempe, a casual rec group ahead of us were talking to an Asian family, the golfers asked for our help on the matter. He threw an arrant shot and it spiked down on her 3day old mustang. They wanted him to pay for the damage to the car, she was driving on a private access road through a park what do you guys think. They were talking about calling the cops and argued for about an hour

What was the nationality of the casual rec group?

Long after the money is spent, you will still have your character and good name. Accept that a mistake was made, and offer to make it right. You will feel better about yourself, and the "victim" will be left with a better impression of the you, and disc golfers in general.

Sorry forgot to mention they spoke very little English, it was a nice dent rhfh on hole 15, there are signs that say private drive,

Sorry forgot to mention they spoke very little English, it was a nice dent rhfh on hole 15, there are signs that say private drive,

So was the car in an area it was not allowed to be in? If so, blame lies with the driver and they should have to foot their own bill.

So was the car in an area it was not allowed to be in? If so, blame lies with the driver and they should have to foot their own bill.

This was my case as well. I was on a "Private Drive" that was frequently used.

If it was a private access road and the mustang was not supposed to be there, then the golfer should not have to pay. In kearney missouri I hit a brand new nissan suv and they didnt make me pay for the damages because they parked lining up with the fairway... Also in tourneys ( ive played ) the private access roads across the course were inbounds where the main roads in the park were ob.

Long after the money is spent, you will still have your character and good name. Accept that a mistake was made, and offer to make it right. You will feel better about yourself, and the "victim" will be left with a better impression of the you, and disc golfers in general.

well said, though i feel like this thought is lost with anyone in my generation or younger. the idea that there is more to life than what you are and what you have AT THIS MOMENT is totally foreign. in the grand scheme of things, a few hundred dollars and/or a dent in a car won't really amount to much.

my friend hit someone in the face and he def paid the dudes copay!

i hit a car with a dx roc and it left a mark! dude gets out of the car and looks at it...but i was able to just wipe off the plastic rub and no dent was present so i didn't have to pay...but i knew i better get that off to see the damage/take a picture of it.