• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carrying only 1 of a particular mold

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Ever since I got serious about dg and found the molds I like, I've always had at least two of each of them in my bag. However, I can have issues with my back getting stiff at times due to a vertebrae compression fracture sustained years ago. In an effort to make my bag lighter for my back's sake, I'm thinking about only carrying one disc of each of the molds I throw, which would put me at about 12 discs instead of over 20. With the exception of possibly losing one during a round and not having a back up, what are some other disadvantages of carrying only 1 per mold?

I prefer to carry several of the same mold in different stages of wear and/or different weights for different shots and wind situations. I carry 4 rocs, 3 aviars, 3 bosses, and 2 destroyers. But I only carry 15 discs in all and could easily take 5 or 6 of those out of the bag even for tourney rounds.

Carry less molds so you can still have your backups.
I find that I seldom need my whole bag once I know a course. I will often only take 6 discs or less with me, instead of the 18 my bigger bag holds.

There are some molds (rocs, wizards and gazelles) that I really like having in different stages of wear to cover different shots.

With the exception of possibly losing one during a round and not having a back up, what are some other disadvantages of carrying only 1 per mold?

Maintaining consistency in your throws becomes more effort, as no two discs you throw have the same rim, hence different grips for each disc.

Not an insurmountable challenge, but definitely more effort to keep your game up.

I've been thinking about doing this too. I usually carry 3 of each mold I throw.

Would be so light to only have 7 disc in the bag lol.

By all means, get a cart! Not that anyone ever needs more than 12 discs to play a round, but since you've got health issues I would get a pull cart or a jogging stroller from a 2nd hand store. Not only will you not be bearing weight on your back, but you'll be bending over a lot less and not lifting up weight at all.

What about a compromise? For tournaments, carry a backup for your most important discs (putter, stable mid, stable driver). That way you won't be SOL if you lose a disc during the round. For casual play, carrying a light bag is a great way to learn to throw a disc on new lines.

By all means, get a cart! Not that anyone ever needs more than 12 discs to play a round, but since you've got health issues I would get a pull cart or a jogging stroller from a 2nd hand store. Not only will you not be bearing weight on your back, but you'll be bending over a lot less and not lifting up weight at all.

+1

I've seen young guys using carts in tourney rounds lately. There are a couple courses that I'd definitely not want to have a cart. But most courses would be just fine.

Carry less molds so you can still have your backups.
I find that I seldom need my whole bag once I know a course. I will often only take 6 discs or less with me, instead of the 18 my bigger bag holds.

My thoughts exactly. Minimize molds. If you're carrying only one of a disc try and figure out whether or not you can cover it's lines with another disc. I couldn't imagine only being able to carry 1 of everything I throw...

I carry a lighter version of everything I throw for tail winds, as well as cycling new and used depending on the stability I need.

12 different molds in your bag, huh?

Well, this was a bit of an exaggeration. I OWN 13 different molds that i would actually throw. However, they are not all in my bag right now. I have 4 distance drivers, 3 mids, and 2 putters. But, I bought 4 molds of comparible fairway drivers and pulled out all my fast stuff. I don't have anything in my bag faster than a 7 speed right now. Once I realized I can throw an Eagle just as far as a Wraith (which is about 350) with more accuracy, I went back to the drawing board. Without naming them all, I currently have 8 molds in my bag. So I guess this leads me to another question. Once an open level golfer is fully capable of throwing the high speed stuff far and accurate, is there even a place for a "fairway driver" in their bag? I would assume that once you get to that point, you could replace the fairway drivers by using the mids or putters you already have. ?!?!?!?!?!

Repeating previous message: If my back was messed up enough that carrying the bag caused me pain, I'd drag a cart.

As far as backups go, I really look at the disc and try to decide if I can pull off the shot with some other disc in my bag. I carry one beat-up Cyclone turnover/roller because I can force over a roller with another driver in my bag if I have to. It not how I prefer to do it, but it can be done. I de facto have a backup turnover/roller, so I don't need to carry two beat-up Cyclones.

Well, this was a bit of an exaggeration. I OWN 13 different molds that i would actually throw. However, they are not all in my bag right now. I have 4 distance drivers, 3 mids, and 2 putters. But, I bought 4 molds of comparible fairway drivers and pulled out all my fast stuff. I don't have anything in my bag faster than a 7 speed right now. Once I realized I can throw an Eagle just as far as a Wraith (which is about 350) with more accuracy, I went back to the drawing board. Without naming them all, I currently have 8 molds in my bag. So I guess this leads me to another question. Once an open level golfer is fully capable of throwing the high speed stuff far and accurate, is there even a place for a "fairway driver" in their bag? I would assume that once you get to that point, you could replace the fairway drivers by using the mids or putters you already have. ?!?!?!?!?!

I would think that because there is a distance gap between the drivers and mids. Fairway drivers would be more controllable in that distance gap rather than powering down on a driver. I am no pro, but that is my experience.

I have heard from a number of people about this guy that carried like 12 destroyers and putted with a gator. Thats all he carried.

^^I saw a bag like that submitted here recently. There were like 6 different destroyers.

I prefer to carry several of the same mold in different stages of wear and/or different weights for different shots and wind situations. I carry 4 rocs, 3 aviars, 3 bosses, and 2 destroyers. But I only carry 15 discs in all and could easily take 5 or 6 of those out of the bag even for tourney rounds.

Same here 5 avengers, 3 destroyers, 3 magic sss, ect.

Put a cart together. I messed my back up a bit a little over a year ago, and then after last season of playing it hurt a little after each days golfing. So this spring I got a cart at Dicks for $20, did some easy modifications, stuck a bag to it and never looked back. Now after a day of golfing I'm just tired, not aching and sore and tired. Well worth it.

how about you just eliminate all straight backups that aren't beat or anything. Thats what I do.