• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Castle Rock?

gripNrip91

Bogey Member
I heard of this course this fall from a friend but he never told me if it was open or not, and i have been trying to find info of it and it is all over a year old, and when i try to go to the official website it says that the site is under construction. And the newest post i could find (which is still over a year old) said that T.G. was still waiting for permits. Whats the Dealio?

And the newest post i could find (which is still over a year old) said that T.G. was still waiting for permits. Whats the Dealio?
He's not talking publicly and no one in the area seems to know if it's dead or still waiting to break thru on getting permits.

I don't know all of the details, someone more knowledgeable can chime in, I'll tell you what I know. Castle Rock is a Disc golf course complex designed by Timmy Gill, construction I believe is complete (was complete in time for last years' Magestic), located in East Side (I believe), a small town just north of Northfield, MN. Those of us around here have our fingers crossed that it will indeed open some day. They're in some sort of dispute with a city that is afraid of the type of crowd that a complex this size will draw to the small town.

Most of this information I pulled from the discussion here: southernmndga forum

"How about that castle rock" is a common topic of small talk around these parts, everybody seems to have some sort of involvement or knowledge about it, but nobody seems to know when or if it will ever open.

From what I understand there are 72 holes all in 9 hole loops. He is planning to have 4 ultimate fields as well and camping onsite. I think the main issue is how the land is zoned.

all the locals hate everything! traffic, noise, gunfire, crime, trash, strangers... ive read the castlerock township meeting transcripts and the land is zoned for agricultural and there fighting tooth and nail to keep castlerock dgc closed! we were all stoked for spring but it never opened, then they had to move the majestic. this was the address
http://www.castlerockdiscgolf.com/

all the locals hate everything! traffic, noise, gunfire, crime, trash, strangers... ive read the castlerock township meeting transcripts and the land is zoned for agricultural and there fighting tooth and nail to keep castlerock dgc closed! we were all stoked for spring but it never opened, then they had to move the majestic. this was the address

I tried your link but it said that it was under construction, and Guurn, the township transcript said that T.G. said that there would be no camping there, but you could maybe nearby. i hope this course opens up if ever!

also in the township transcript the locals make it sound like a a gang is gonna live there, with gunshots, trash ETC. whic kinda pisses me off because this is making a bad name for disc golfers making us look like criminals

I'm surprised that the local business aren't pressing for the zoning to get passed. The local business (restaurants/gas/shops) would only gain money from the added traffic.

Also, from what I've seen, pay to play courses are all but completely free of any riff raff. The usual disc rats tend to frequent the free public courses. Not many people like to mess up something they are paying to do.

Doesn't look like there are enough local businesses to matter. From what I heard, the owner burned some bridges with his neighbors several years before TG was working with him on disc golf when he had a noisy ATV or dirt bike course on the property that ticked off the neighbors. The roads going into the place also look like gravel not pavement. So that may be another factor although it hasn't stopped higher traffic courses like Highbridge or BRP from going in.

I wonder how much money has been invested in the project to not go through. Seems like a dream come true project. I remember reading some posts on the project several years ago.

I wonder how much money has been invested in the project to not go through. Seems like a dream come true project. I remember reading some posts on the project several years ago.

i wonder how much money too, from what i hear is that it is all ready to go, including teepads and baskets and all(but that is just what i heard from the grape vine) but still it would seem like such a waste of money if it didnt open

And to think the folks in the rural areas fight to keep the county fathers from zoning. Makes me wonder if some of the Disc Golf course projects we're working on in NE GA and Upstate SC would fly if we had to deal with zoning issues...

I just read recently (I don't remember where, probably local league or tourney info?), that there was an opportunity to play castle rock to some level. I can't find that info again. Does anybody have any idea? Is there talk of opening any time soon? Or possibly playable for a special event?

Sundog league is scheduled there on Tuesday, July 12. That's the only thing I've seen on it.

It is tentatively scheduled to be at the Rock. We'll know more as that date approaches.

Last I heard (and don't ask me where from) was that they found a way to make/alter/create a driveway off of a nearby tar road, which alleviates the 'dust' from the dirt road.

Information may have been from dgnuts.com

Nonetheless, I'll believe it's open after I've played it.