• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Chalky or slick wizard

Mygrassisblue

does anybody like the slick wizards? I picked up 4 wizards online and 2 of them are slick and 2 of them are more tacky, rubbery feeling. What do you guys prefer for putting versus driving? I try to take the advice of having one for drives and one for putts.

does anybody like the slick wizards? I picked up 4 wizards online and 2 of them are slick and 2 of them are more tacky, rubbery feeling. What do you guys prefer for putting versus driving? I try to take the advice of having one for drives and one for putts.

I personally prefer "chalky" putters for putting and more indestructo plastic for upshots and driving. But for me, the disc has to be stiff, not soft... I use the Classic Blend Judge for putting and Lucid Judge for upshots. Discs such as the Classic Soft Judge, SSS Wizard, Discraft APX, and GStar Aviar are too soft and floppy for my personal liking, YMMV.

I prefer chalky wizards myself. I found that if I don't wash my SSS wizards they get pretty slick, but after a quick wash they return to their original chalky velvet feel

stiff and chalky wizards all day for putting ... slicker are more acceptable for driving as they tend (in my experience) to not warp as quickly. The slickness does tend to wear away with some solid use though.

They're all awesome. I like good grippy wizards for putting usually. But in a lot of heat the slick stiff ones really come in handy when your hands are crazy sweaty and most discs get really soft. I like to drive with slicker ones as well. Basically all wizards are awesome for something

I prefer slicker, firm putters. It took me a long time to accept that, but it's what works for me. Plus, they develop fantastic grip as they season that can't be beat.

The firm slick Wizards beat into a great stiff, velvety feeling putter with awesome grip. They only stay slick for a few months. I like them as driving putters.

Slick for driving and longer throws. Chalky for shorter throws and putts, especally on faster greens.

Last edited:
by slick, are we talking ss that have that sheen on them? if so, it's an issue in cold temps, IME.

Ok, medium can be oily. I'd really like eraser(and some sss) if it didn't collect so much dirt on the course. But wet or cold and it's tough to beat.

I prefer something with some tackiness to it to avoid spitouts, using the G18 in the circle, but those slicker ones like the G9i's are great for those chip shots and short drives, tends to holds it stability a little longer and gets a good clean release.

I use slick and firm Wizards for putting (RDG Fossil Fuel blend is perfect for me), and a chalky blend of RFF for approach shots. Like others have said, they all have their uses! I used to think Gateway's plastic variations were a drawback, but I eventually realized it is what makes their discs so awesome.