• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champ Shryke

Majicmarkr

I have a star and Gstar Shryke. I really like them, especially the gstar. I've always noticed the champ Shryke has a much taller rounded dome to it, but I've never thrown one. How do the champ versions fly in comparison to the others? How does the domey flight plate affect the flight?

I've only seen and thrown 1 champion Shryke, but for me it flew just about identical to the star and G* Shryke. I agree they're very domey. I didn't think it affected flight much. The champ Shryke has a ton of glide and is a massive bomber. It has high speed turn too.

My advice would be, if you like the star and G* Shryke, give the champ a try. I'd start with something in the high 160s.

I have a star and Gstar Shryke. I really like them, especially the gstar. I've always noticed the champ Shryke has a much taller rounded dome to it, but I've never thrown one. How do the champ versions fly in comparison to the others? How does the domey flight plate affect the flight?

I had a Champion Shryke but lost it to the lake. :( I don't remember it being a lot more domey than the Star Shryke (I have not tried GStar Shryke), and my Champ Shryke was a little bit more overstable than my Star Shryke, but not by much at all. I think Twmccoy is right: give a 160-class Champ Shryke a try, see how it works out for you...

I've had 2 regular Champ Shrykes and 2 ColorGlow Champ Shrykes, but none of them were particularly domey. The stars I've had are actually more domey than the champs I've had (and less stable). The Champ Shrykes were a tick more stable than the Stars and similar to the more stable of the GStars, maybe just a hair more stable than GStar on average. From my own experience, the domey Shrykes I've had (which were all Stars) were mostly less stable than the flatter Shrykes (mix of GStar and Champ). I do have 1 GStar that's pretty flat but very understable, but it's a proto-star stamped first run.

I've hand 8 or so Champ and colorglow Champ Shrykes, and at least that many Star. No GStar as I don't really like that plastic.

Mine have been fairly consistent in dome shape and flight across all my samples. Stars have been a little lower dome and noticeably less overstable finish than the Champs. I can get a lot of turn and very little LSS finish on the Stars if I lay into them.

My Champs are all a little more domey than the Stars but not pop top. A fresh one thrown flat will fly virtually straight for 80% if it's flight and have a gentle hyzer finish. If I throw it with a shallow smooth hyzer it will hold it throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shryke

I've hand 8 or so Champ and colorglow Champ Shrykes, and at least that many Star. No GStar as I don't really like that plastic.

Mine have been fairly consistent in dome shape and flight across all my samples. Stars have been a little lower dome and noticeably less overstable finish than the Champs. I can get a lot of turn and very little LSS finish on the Stars if I lay into them.

My Champs are all a little more domey than the Stars but not pop top. A fresh one thrown flat will fly virtually straight for 80% if it's flight and have a gentle hyzer finish. If I throw it with a shallow smooth hyzer it will hold it throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How far do you throw? Every Shryke I own I have to toss with a little hyzer to keep it from flipping. Thrown hyzer they'll pop up and drift right just a bit before fading back late in flight. If I try to release them hard and flat they dive bomb right and don't come back.

So far I've found it to be a pretty consistent mold. All 7 Shrykes I have (in all 3 plastics) fly pretty much the same.

BTW, I throw Shrykes about 420' regularly. Further at times.

How far do you throw?
I'm throwing Shrykes for shots in the 400-450' range. With a lot of room I can get more with a high distance line, but 430' is a good golf shot for me.

Every Shryke I own I have to toss with a little hyzer to keep it from flipping. Thrown hyzer they'll pop up and drift right just a bit before fading back late in flight. If I try to release them hard and flat they dive bomb right and don't come back.
That's pretty consistent with what I'm seeing in the Stars after a couple throws. Brand new out of the box they can handle some smooth power. The Champs I've been throwing are definitely able to take more power, but it has to be clean. If I roll my wrist at all it's turn city.

So far I've found it to be a pretty consistent mold. All 7 Shrykes I have (in all 3 plastics) fly pretty much the same.
Agreed. I haven't thrown a *D or beat up *DS since I've started bagging Shrykes (except in the field to compare again) and I haven't really been missing them. I still carry a fresher *DS for heavy headwind situations, but I could manage without it.

I keep a Destroyer in the bag, but it isn't ridiculously beat. Its definitely more stable than a Shryke. Much better wind disc and can handle hard, flat rips with ease.

I agree keeping a really beat Destroyer and a Shryke in the bag would be redundant.

I only use the Shryke for wide open distance bombing in calm conditions or downwind. It will NOT deal with any sort of headwind well at all. For calm, open shots I haven't found a longer disc. Simply unreal distance. Real novelty that the Shryke behaves nearly the same in all 3 plastics too. That is unusual.

I was curious if the domey champ Shryke had noticeably more glide.

Absolutely. Any driver will glide better the more dome it has. My 1 champion Shryke is very domey and it glides outstanding. Frankly I haven't seen any Shrykes that were flat or didn't glide well.

Innova got everything right with the Shryke.