• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] champ sidewinder variations

I threw my friends and it flew like a Sidewinder should but it was also beat to about a 5-6/10. Odds are the 11x will freeze in that stability until it shatters.

just bought a dx sidewinder since i keep losing all my gstarrr i really dont have to worry about it breaking in to roller since i take all my risky shots with the gstarrr cuz its flippy i might as well try out a dx. threw a fresh gstarrr and the fresh dx in the dark. from 3 throws with each it seems the dx had more turn outta the box.

i inspected the plh once i got home and it appears that for how low the gstarrr plh is, the dx is even lower which was almost unbelievable. cuz gstarrr compared to the new champs is significantly different. will report tomorrow once i do more testing

I have a couple DX Sidewinders I use for initial warm-up, both blue and 169g, with flight numbers FWIW. PLH on both is really low, almost touching the surface. The champ SW I have is a different animal.

Last edited:
^^they really understable?

i picked up a red flight numbers 172g. hows the glide on them?

ive never thrown a dx sw. only a dx valk. and being the sidewinder fanatic i am, i decided it was time to try one to see if they are useful

The DX's? Oh yeah! Very understable, that's why I only use them for warm-up, first few throws. The glide is real good, better than champ.

When I first started disc golf I had a DX Sidewinder, used it as a longer fairway driver, along with a DX Leopard.

Last edited:
are they workable? any use after beat? can you put all your mustard on them and still control them or are they too understable to be any use?

i didnt like the dx. its too flippy. good for a 75% hyzer flip machine but i like mackin hard on my discs. i wanted to like the dx but i couldnt. gstarrr will continue to stay in my bag

will throw it during winter and not care if i lose it though. also might make good bh roller

i didnt like the dx. its too flippy. good for a 75% hyzer flip machine but i like mackin hard on my discs. i wanted to like the dx but i couldnt. gstarrr will continue to stay in my bag

will throw it during winter and not care if i lose it though. also might make good bh roller

Yeah, lower power hyzer flips will work, but even then if you're off a little on the release angle they can flip and not come back. Roller's a thought...

I ran across 2 sidewinders that I couldn't pass up yesterday. Pink 170 and orange 168, both very bright colored, flat, and gummy. They weren't jl, no patent numbers on them, rim didn't have any slant or anything dumb. I'll have to keep an eye out for more because they feel awesome. Anybody throw one of these and can comment on stability?

I ran across 2 sidewinders that I couldn't pass up yesterday. Pink 170 and orange 168, both very bright colored, flat, and gummy. They weren't jl, no patent numbers on them, rim didn't have any slant or anything dumb. I'll have to keep an eye out for more because they feel awesome. Anybody throw one of these and can comment on stability?

pics front and back?

are they preflight #? and is the plastic smooth?
if so, those are pretty understable for champ.
hyzer flip to turn, maybe fade at very end if high up.

are they preflight #? and is the plastic smooth?
if so, those are pretty understable for champ.
hyzer flip to turn, maybe fade at very end if high up.

I'll try to get a pic later, flight number stamp with no patent number. Feels like my xg valk but a hair firmer

How does the dome affect the SW and what do you prefer? My starlight SWs have been consistent (mild dome) as was my glow champ (which is super beefy). I just picked up but haven't thrown a regular champ that is much more domey than any of my others.

How does the dome affect the SW and what do you prefer? My starlight SWs have been consistent (mild dome) as was my glow champ (which is super beefy). I just picked up but haven't thrown a regular champ that is much more domey than any of my others.

glow champ are notorious for being beefier than their regular plastic counterpart for some reason.

as for dome...PLH matters more. ive thrown domey flippers and flat flippers. also domey stable ones and flat stable ones.

where do I find a JL SW?

i got mine from my last order from the factory store. i havent been to gggt in a while so i havent fingered...through their stacks so im unsure but from what ive heard on here all current runs are JL.

if you ask the factory store to make sure its JL they will. ive seen old PFN sw in the stores still so probably if you order online from anywhere but the factory store its all up in the air about what run youll receive.

the JL sw was flat, and stiff and stable. flew like a std. dead straight then decent fade at the end. actually could fight some headwind it was impressive

glow champ are notorious for being beefier than their regular plastic counterpart for some reason.

as for dome...PLH matters more. ive thrown domey flippers and flat flippers. also domey stable ones and flat stable ones.

i got mine from my last order from the factory store. i havent been to gggt in a while so i havent fingered...through their stacks so im unsure but from what ive heard on here all current runs are JL.

if you ask the factory store to make sure its JL they will. ive seen old PFN sw in the stores still so probably if you order online from anywhere but the factory store its all up in the air about what run youll receive.

the JL sw was flat, and stiff and stable. flew like a std. dead straight then decent fade at the end. actually could fight some headwind it was impressive

I had a champ Monarch that was like this. JLish, but it was before JL showed up. It looked like Opto, a real translucent champ plastic. Domeless, high PLH, and surprisingly stable. Also had a normal champ with normal dome that flew as advertised. Like 2 totally different discs. Then I said f*ck it and went back to my champ Roadrunner.

Innova and their ongoing dome issues, WTF.

I had a champ Monarch that was like this. JLish, but it was before JL showed up. It looked like Opto, a real translucent champ plastic. Domeless, high PLH, and surprisingly stable. Also had a normal champ with normal dome that flew as advertised. Like 2 totally different discs. Then I said f*ck it and went back to my champ Roadrunner.

Innova and their ongoing dome issues, WTF.

thats also why i dont throw tb. if they made them consistently flat i probably would

thats also why i dont throw tb. if they made them consistently flat i probably would

I've been shocked by some of the champ and star Teebirds I've seen on shelves. Some are so poppy-top they look like a Kite. And this seems to be a problem across almost their entire line of discs, from drivers to mids. I'm at the point where I'll only buy Innova discs on site, no blind online purchases.

Anyone throw the metal flake champ sidewinders? I happened across them when browsing marshal street (2013 stamped) and was looking for a reason to not pick one up. I know in other molds metal flake are normally very OS (relatively), so was wondering if this would be the same.

Latest posts