• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changes To Your Bag For The New Year

Tyler V

Cubic Zirconia Hype Man | DGCR Chief Statistician
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I thought it would be interesting to hear if others are trying new things this winter with their disc lineups. I'm experimenting with paring down my putter and midrange molds.

Old Set-Up:
Wizards (Putt)
Berg
Envy
Zone
Gator
Runway
Buzzz
Comet

New:
Wizard (Putt)
Wizard (Throwing)
Berg
Jarn
Buzzz (carrying multiples to attempt to cycle)

I've never cycled discs before, and have enough buzzzes to try this out.

I do typically switch a few things out between summer and winter but it's kind of my normal routine.

My biggest wholesale change going into next year is that I won't be changing anything up from this year. Basically I know my current setup works best for me so I'm not going to try and improve upon it.

I slowly changed stuff up towards the end of the season and found some stuff that works, but I'm going to be testing a few things such as a switch from Lunas to P2s for my main putter. I'm also going to be attempting to cycle Thunderbirds in DX and Pro to cover most of my control stuff and be my distance disc for the winter. Since the beginning of the year my bag has slowly gone from a DC majority bag, to one where it's mostly Innova with DC and DM filling the remaining slots except for the Glitch.

My bag to open the season was
2x Lunas
Woodland Ponderosa
Crystal/ESP Fierce
'21 TS Luna
JB Zone
Z/ESP Zone
Alpine Baobab
Z Comet
ESP Comet
Alpine Magnolia
Ti Buzzz
Glo Passion
ESP Passion
Z Raptor
Glo Raptor
Z/ESP Undertaker
Meta Tilt
Z Force
ESP Zeus
ESP Hades
Cryztal Hades

By the end of the year my bag looked like this
2x Lunas
Neutron Soft Glitch
Base Fierce
Cryztal Fierce
R-Pro Rhyno
'22 TS Luna
JB Zone
CG Champ Toro
ESP Comet
Elite-X Comet
ESP Buzzz
Alpine Hemp Magnolia
S-FD
Champ TeeBird
Champ Firebird
Armor Chameleon
Star Roadrunner
Champ Thunderbird
Nordic Phenom (S-PD)
Pro Destroyer
Star Destroyer
Halo Destroyer

In between those setups I had small stints with the Jokeri, Quake, Berg, OLF, Surge, Athena, Heat and more, with longer stints for discs such as the Grace, FD, and PD (the FD and PD were Italian C-Lines) as well as several Zones/Comets/Buzzzes/Raptors that rotated in and out of the bag, since I have at least 10 of each of those molds.

At this point besides nailing down most of the molds in my bag, I'm going to try and trade some of my backups for new stuff to try.

I started out with something like

Early 2022
Trespass
Felon, Heat, Thunderbirds, Eagles
Emac Truths, Comet
Zones, Wizards

Late 2022
Felon, Sidewinder
Quake, Rift, Sol
Alapaca

A few months back I started to get kinda burnt out/frustrated and decided to shake things up by trying out some new putters. I had used primarily Wizards for the few years I've been playing but found some used Alapacas and really liking them so far. I tried and lost a few different mid molds (Emac, Buzzz, Compass, Roc, Claymore) before dusting off an old Rift I had laying around and pairing it with a Quake (which has pretty much replaced my Zone).

I have been on a slow evolution to a near-all Discmania bag. Since they changed who molds their discs/ provides their plastic, I have been loving their offerings.

In 2022, I added the following discs to my bag: Rainmaker, Tactic, Marvel, A2, Method, Mutant, Instinct, Cloudbreaker, and a Nuke OS. All at the expense of the Crown, Pure, Harp, EMac Truth, Verdict, Justice, TeeBird3, Felon, Destroyer, and Warhorse.

In 2023, I will be experimenting with the Origin to see if it can replace the ESP Meteor. This will not be a slam dunk as I am not actively looking to replace the Meteor. But, since I am on this slide into a complete Discmania bag, the Meteor is not safe, along with the Suspect, A2, Marvel, Leopard3, Roadrunner, and Force.

I have this year's Mystery Box coming in a week or two. I do not suspect that the DD1 will have a spot in the bag unless it has the stability of my least stable Cloudbreaker. The other discs I get, it will be fun experimenting with them.

I lost the last 2 of my Pro Wraiths when I played Lake Arvesta last month. I'm debating whether I should switch it up or just buy a few more Wraiths. I wouldn't go any faster, but might think about dialing down the speed a bit.

I have been using Pro Wraiths for a partial cycle and usually combine them with 2 other drivers to fill out the overstable and extremely understable driver slots. I probably also need a replacement for the DX Beast that was my super flippy driver. It's now pretty much uncontrollable and turns too quickly to roll very far.

I haven't been playing much this winter, as snow fell early and is here to stay. This year I was more inclined to try different things. Enigmas over trespasses, Piwak over Warrant, Envy/Proxy combo dabble, A2 over Zone, Rive over Enforcer. Addition of PA5.

Enigma is awesome, but feel like I've lost some consistency this year. Wanted to replace the warrant since it went oop, but they are going to mold it in lucid again(!!) so I will bump my inventory when they drop. Envy/Proxy is great, but more serviceable in a mold minimal kind of bag IMO, where I want more of a stability spread in my putters.

Planning on starting next year with something like:

Rives/Trespasses
Undertakers and Felon(s)/Crave/Heat/Fortress
EMac Truths between Verdict/Warrant
Zone/Reko/PA5
Then obviously still putting with Judges

Leaning more heavily on forehands and going more stable overall. Since my last tourney at the end of October, I've added a Sexton Firebird, a Fusion-X Verdict, and a Champ Caiman.

Looking at pulling a putter or fairway and trying to find a max distance forehand disc.

Last year I added the Reko, Toro and Thunderbird to the lineup while dropping my precious Pig and basically all mids. This year I am going to find a final replacement for my MD4s and try to settle there for a while.

Looks like the Athena is probably going in my bag full-time. I still need to throw my new, heavy one side by side with my old ESP Avenger, but so far signs point to yes. Other than that, I think I've finally gotten to a point where the rest of my bag is feeling pretty good. Still a bit of flux in the distance drivers, but I think the Zeus and Rogue combination covers pretty much all the bases I need for those shots...

Thinking about putting with the Eclipse Envys for a while. I bought one at Halloween for a glow round, then scored 2 more in the Gyro box. I haven't yet found a putter that I love, so why not give them a shot since I have 3 of them that I rarely use for anything else at the moment?

I've tried Electron Envys, Logics (which feel just like an Electron Envy), Wizards, KC Pro Aviars, Aviars, and Shamans. I seem to prefer no bead and relatively shallow, but can't say that I see much difference in results with any of them.

This thread inspired me to review my tournament plan for my club's end of year tournament in 21 vs this year, which concluded yesterday.

Putters:
2021: PA1 -> 2022 Muse
A2 -> Zone

Mids:
Meteor -> Mana

Drivers:
Leopard 3 -> F5
Sidewinder-> Mantra
Teebird 3 -> Eagle
Lift -> Wraith

Still rocking Praxis, Pathfinder, Emac Truth, and Firebird.

I am pretty happy with my bag except that I lost my favorite gstar wraith and the replacement doesn't flip quite as well. Since I'm running so much TSA I'd like to see if I can get any of their drivers to work for me, and will be spending the winter trying to experiment with the Synapse, Animus, and Omen. All of which I've tried and given up on in the past.

Typing up this list is making me sad for some of those lost discs…RIP Leopard3 at Trophy Club, Teebird3 in the brambles at Gateway, and Lift in the lily pad pond at Selah.

This fall I swapped out my Zones (which I've thrown since I started playing) for the color glow Toro (since I really like that plastic). Still not sure if that's going to stick but going pretty well. I've felt up the Kastaplast plastic and like it. Currently trying to decide which molds I want to try out but most likely a couple / few will get tested this winter. I try not to think about the hundreds of discs in my basement and focus on the fun factor of trying new things :)

Most of my bag I'm pretty comfortable with. I won't really be trying out many new things other than potential new runs/plastics of the discs I already bag.

A few things I will be looking at:
-Understable Fairway driver. I've tried a lot of them, most either don't turn nearly as much as I like or they burn into the ground more quickly than I'd like. I've considered just leaving it out and throwing forehands, plus pulling back power on distance drivers...but I'd really prefer finding a disc for that slot as I throw much further backhand.

-Paring down distance drivers. I primarily throw Shrykes for max distance, but I have a handful that were REALLY beefy that I just put to the side rather than really figuring out how beefy they were. My OS drivers tend toward Nukes or Destroyers. Goal is to figure out whether I really prefer the Nuke or Destroyer instead of jumping back and forth (so that I can cycle whichever I choose) and figuring out where exactly my more overstable Shrykes fit in so that I can potentially cut out the OS molds a bit more in favor of the Shryke feel that I prefer.