• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing disc line up

If i get new plastic it is field work only until i know if it can fill a need i have in my bag. I have added very few discs in the last couple of years and typically they have been high speed things as i think that is where technology has actually improved. Nevery felt a need to take a teebird or firebird out of my back though :)

I literally just shed a tear. :D The last Star Teebird that I spoke of was really domey and was the best one I could find in a HUGE box of them and it didn't really fit the bill. Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like we have had simar issues with the recent TB runs! Hope my opinion is at all helpful.

It kind of depends for me, sometimes it's just for fun, sometimes it's my form evolving and creating holes, and sometimes it's multiple factors. I'll share two recent examples, the first of which is switching up my putting putters. I putted with Neutron Envys for a while, but got a Judge as my players pack disc this past May when I played in the Easter Seals Classic at the Hippodrome. I really liked the way the Judge felt in my hand, and was tired of waiting for Electron Envys. I started putting with the Judges and dug them, and also watched Feldberg's push putt clinic at the New Zealand Nationals, and so my putting has slowly evolved with the Judges and now I'm a much better putter than when I was using the Envys.

The other story is adding a Tesla to my lineup this weekend. I've been throwing a Saint for a while, and it's started breaking in, while my form has been getting better. So what was once my Stable-OS driver is now my Stable-US driver. I was down at the IDGC looking at discs, and they didn't have a PPD or a Convict, which were the two molds I was considering. However, I picked up a Tesla and really liked the way it felt in my hand, and after throwing it today it's definitely making the bag as the disc between my Firebird and Saint. I'm even considering replacing the Saint with a Wrath to get some separation between it and my CFD.

So really, changing my lineup up, for me, can be a lot of different things. I really like trying new discs, and as my form improves and discs started beating in, I start learning how to change my lineup up to maximize my game

All last year I played with an 8 disc bag and tested out new discs and different line ups. Part of the enjoyment was in limiting myself to 6-8 discs and building a new bag just about every time I went out on the course. For awhile I played with an 8 disc Trilogy Bag and an 8 disc MVP/Axiom bag back and forth just to compare what I liked about each one. My scores were almost identical on most courses played and it helped me identify what I like about certain discs. Prior to the last year and a half I had a mostly set bag of 12 discs. Now that I've done my experiments last year I've hopefully settled back into a more stable set up again as I discovered what I like to throw the most. With similar scores and flights, I've settled on the lower profile feel of Axiom and have my core of my bag built around Craves and Envies now. I'm sure I'll try a few new discs now and then, but I think I'm pretty set now and plan mostly on just buying back ups in different weights for the foreseeable future.

My bag stayed very basic for about 5-6 years. Wraith, Pro Roc, KC Aviar and I think I was using a Monster for a long while. I've found that I change discs if I feel that something is missing or that something is not working. Good to identify weaknesses and check out new discs to see if they help. The past couple of years I've taken some chances on "new" discs and have found great personal success. The Comet is the best example of checking out something different and it having a huge impact on my game. Funny sometimes how one new mold can start a domino effect of change through the rest of your bag.

Field bag / box.

I pick up lots of discs and field throw. I like a lot and I promote to course tester. I like more, stays in course bag.

I play a round or get in at least 30 minutes of field or putt just about every day.

I'm guessing during the transition from casual player to advanced your bag changes up quite often (every few weeks or months) as you figure out discs for various shots, etc. Probably even less from adv to pro. (maybe every 3-6 months) Once at the pro level I'm guessing it hardly ever changes unless you...change sponsors. ;)

I'll try several similar molds and see what works best for me. example This year I've carried a felon, xxx, firebird, h3, h2, h1 for the overstable slot in my bag. I keep going back to a 170 mild domed firebird. I keep a flat top fb just for rollers or utility.

i've been tinkering so much that only a few in the bag now are more than a year old. over the winter in MN we just buy stuff since we can't play. started converting to all pink-purple-blue and that's a great visibility scheme for me. then since it was almost all innova, i replaced until it was so. but the putter situation never resolved... and i tried a P1x. now i'm up to about 50% DiscMania (awesome company!) and the innova is shrinking fast. still all blue purple pink. even the mids are changing as these star roc3 are really understable out of the box, pretty much don't need anything else once this one breaks in a hair.

also, it's too easy for me driving past Gotta Go Gotta Throw every day from work, i stop in so much they might add me to the payroll... that would help offset the expense somewhat...

I have a problem letting old discs go.

After you've been playing 10+ years a lot of discs get pretty beat up, but in my mind that just makes them better.

I used to be the same way, but now the only disc that has really stayed the course that I can't let go of is the Leopard.
Its still way useful in a lot of situations. One of the best molds ever, imo, and the couple I rely on are probably 10years old themselves, lol.

Everything else has rotated out as new tweaks from makers have fine tuned disc options over time and I've been won over.
I AM finally reaching the point where really only the Distance Driver discs are still up for question, though.

Last edited:
I don't change my discs out very often. The only time I do is if the disc stops working for me such as my form improves and that forces me to get a driver that now works as my new stable or understable driver. Then I buy several for backups.

I used to change discs alot, but once I found the discs that worked for me I keep them until they don't. It's been awhile since I bought any discs.

A certain pond routinely shakes up my bag lineup.

My putters stay the same. My mids, mostly the same. My drivers are in constant need of replacement.

I feel your pain. There is a pond on a course I play regularly. No more Star, Gstar, or Champion Orc. No more Wave, Tangent, Banshee, or Tern. No more Teebird, or Avenger. :wall:

I like to try new stuff from time to time. And sometimes I try to fill in gaps. But mostly I buy replacements for my lineup. I stick with things that are readily available. With all the choices there are these days I think its ludicrious to use OOP discs although I know many who would feel lost without a Champion Whippet.

I try to stay with a fairly static lineup during the season. However, it looks my tournament season is over (possibly for good) so I'm shaking things up. Just loaded the bag up with a bunch of different/new molds/discs... Gonna be an interesting round this afternoon after work.

I keep the same bag and usually have 1-2 molds that I haven't tried to see what fits. I just keep coming back to Prodigy for the last few years. Currently I'm loving the RDG putters, so those are the only new discs in the bag. I kept the Sampo from this year's Challenge, but I only throw is 3-4 times per week in 5-6 rounds per week. Other than that, same bag for a looooong time. (Unless I do a new dye that I like, but that's usually replacing a mold I already throw)

^^ I'm a bit like Brody when it comes to the tourney season. I generally set the discs in the spring and don't switch them up until right around this time of year. Even when I do switch I stay within the molds that I currently bag. I'm always willing to test new/different molds/manufacturers. It's fun but few ever make the bag for more than a couple-few weeks. I will do nearly a complete switch out depending on the color of the terrain I'm playing. I'm about to go back to a "dayglo-heavy" bag since everything is starting to turn burnt orange-brown at my home course.

I used to switch discs out a lot, trying to find what worked best for me and my game. A few years ago I started to value consistency over 'the next best thing that may or may not work' type of mentality. Plus, I made sure to only throw readily available discs, so that way when I lost one or broke one I could easily replace them (not like my days of throwing 11x KC pro stamped champ teebirds, star stamped destroyers, or 10-11x kc rocs etc)

I've become very accustomed to the disc molds that I throw, and really only turn over what's in my bag lineup if I lose something - and then I just get a new version of the same thing. It's really helped me a lot recently. Since I don't play nearly as often as I used to, having familiar discs and being confident in how I can use them keeps my game ticking at a decent rate.

Last edited:
Rarely. I'll mess with some new stuff from time to time, but not that often. Generally speaking, if it ain't broke, I'm not trying to fix it. That's why I've thrown many of the same molds for many years. Mostly when I try something new its because I want to try something that my core molds don't cover. I wanted to mess with a slow, blunt-nose meathook fairway last year, so I grabbed a whippet on a lark. Its awesome and I won't leave home without it now. I wanted to try a more OS compliment to a destroyer, so I grabbed an XCal, which I like a lot now. Ect. I don't see any need to mess with what I know works (rocs, teebirds, TLs, destroyers, wizards). I know for a fact that their are several molds available that could be good replacements for stuff I already throw, but why bother?

My bag stays pretty consistent with the usual suspects of Tern, Buzz, Wizard etc.... Until......I get on here and start reading a thread about a disc not in my bag and how awesome it is. I can't resist trying it after reading about it especially if a lot of you folks like it. After trying it, I either like it and bag it or toss it in the trunk for the future. My bag would be set for a long while now if I did not come on here and read so much!

My bag stays pretty regular, I do throw the occasional mold in there if I am going to a course that I know may need something special.

I didn't believe that anything could glide like a Star TB and hold that straight line with the slightest hint of turn and a predictable, gentle, forward fade.

Especially a disc in translucent durable plastic. Those are supposed to have less glide!

But out of the box a VIP stag flies exactly how I want it to and since they are so durable, the flight doesn't change quickly.

The newer Teebirds I've tried are just either not the feel I want, to gummy or else domey. And the flight with some has been unpredictable.

The Stag as long as you don't get one that is abnormally flat is very consistent and I think that is what we all really want right?

Many also like TP, but I find the flight to be the same initially but it beats in more easily.

So to me VIP Stag= the best Teebirds but easier and cheaper to find

Same story for me but instead it's the Rival. Went from Tracker to Teebird to Rival...and not looking back. Tracker is pretty much OOP (for finding replacements easily in ESP), Teebird feels really crappy in the hand, but Rival was perfect fit/feel. Might try the Stag now too...

Latest posts