• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chuck G's bag

chuck g

I've been lurking a few months and have learned a ton here!

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG on & off in summers 2015-2018, got more serious this past summer
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed, started working on left hand this summer
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH mainly, occasionally LFBH, LFFH is pitiful
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Aviar3: 150/200'; Roc3: 260/280'; Leopard: 280/310'

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Tendonitis in right elbow
Other sport proficiencies?:
Additional Information: Left eye dominant/right handed
Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to get better at forehand, want to get better control on tunnel shots
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more control in the short-term, gain some additional distance and develop left hand flick in the long-term, reduce number of molds but don't have to be crazy minimalist either

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 DX Leopard, (starting to get beat in a little, turns some with power) - main driver
163 Star Leopard3, (few months old, can't tell if it's getting beat yet) – more OS than DX Leopard but not predictably OS like DX Teebird
171 DX Teebird, (fairly new) – straight/flex shots
165 Champ Teebird (few months old)
175 DX Banshee, (new) - overstable/headwind/flex shots

Mids:
180 Champ RocX3 (few months old) - main mid, a little OS but not gator/caiman-ish
176 Champ metal flake Roc3 (few months old) – straight w/little fade
180 DX Roc (beat) – straight
176 DX Roc (new) – just got it to start beating in
175 DX Cobra (new, lost last one) – straight, disposable disc I throw over/near water
177 DX Stingray (starting to get beat in a little) – hyzer flips/right turns

Putters:
175 Star Rat (few weeks old) – pretty straight, starting to really like this disc for layups near the basket & get out of trouble thumbers (technically a mid but I use it as a P&A disc)
172 Star Rat (used) – turned me on to the Rat, now a spare
174 Evolution soft Link, (new) - main putter when walking, only started using it a few weeks ago

I got more serious about DG this summer and got a little happy buying discs. I've tried a few distance drivers (170ish champ Beast, 153 Gstar Sidewinder) but I don't seem to get any more distance out of them then my fairway drivers so I don't carry them playing.
I play courses around Raleigh NC, mostly Cedar Hills, Apex Nature Park, Middle Creek, Jones Park.
I started running and playing DG once or twice a week, then I just carry a fairway driver, RocX3/Roc3, and a Rat.

I´m at similar distance and age as you, so a few tips from me

If you like the LINK putter, buy a few more. . .i have 3 putters in the bag at all times so i can throw 3 putts on every basket during practice rounds

Buy a premium plastic LINK for those straight p&a shots.

I have similar distanse with my Leo3 as my Shrykes. . .but the Shryke skips ALOT more so even if a Leo3 and Shryke lands on the same spot the Shryke skips +25ft further
So try a 165-169g Star Shryke.

Jolt, thanks for the putter tip, I should do that.

I was also thinking about trying a hard LINK for approaches

SD86, you are correct. The Champ RocX3 is more OS, I don't throw the MF Roc3 that much since I got the X3 but it's there as a spare, and it's pink-easier to see in low light for me. I was expecting the MF Roc3 to be more OS based on what I read online but it's pretty straight.

I took my star Mako3 out of the bag and am trying to use the DX Roc's more so they beat in enough to turn right. If I can get them to that point I can take the Stingray out.

Ran and played Cedar Hills this morning, carried:

163 Star Leopard3
180 Champ RocX3
175 Star Rat
174 Evolution soft Link

+7 over par (good for me)

birdied #7, one Mulligan (on #4 I think)

Ran and played Cedar Hills this morning. Carried:

163 Star Leopard3
175 DX Banshee
176 Metal Flake Roc3
175 Star Rat
174 soft LINK

+12 over par

Wild throw on #7 and Roc3 went in the pond, it was floating a few feet from shore, pulled it closer with a stick then pond devoured it :(

Practiced throwing flick with Rat on tunnel shots instead of throwing Leopard3/Roc backhand, threw into the ground a few times

Gmtata01, thanks for the tip that could be an option when walking

When running and playing DG I carry 3-4 discs and a towel that's all

Bought a 200g DX Condor last Saturday, I was totally surprised to see one in a local store. Tried it as a roller at Jones Park. Worked OK.

Lost DX Cobra in water on # 11 :(

Bought an X Comet 170-172 and a 180 DX glow flat top Roc yesterday, then played Cedar Hills in the afternoon.

Glow Roc is a laser beam! I like it.

Had some good shots with the Comet, I need to do some field work with it to figure out how to throw it.

Want a tip, get a water floating disc, I have used for years a Dragon but that mold is not for everyone. Find the disc that will work for you. Lighting #2 Driver is a floating on water disc and Rubber Putter at a certain weight and lower work as floating discs, the Lighting discs are found on Gotta Go Gotta Throw.

Yeah most plastics for the Comet will take a little bit to figure out how it flies, exception might be a lower dome Z.

Played Middle Creek on Friday, X Comet took a few tree hits. Flat top glow Roc threaded tree gap on #6 :)

Bought a used 180 star Roc Friday. Did fieldwork Saturday morning:
- *Roc turns throwing from standstill with some power on it, expected it be more stable, bottom stamp 176 DX Roc flying very similar
- X Comet is very sensitive to power and angle (Captain Obvious here)
- DX Banshee getting beat in and flying much straighter

Bought a 175 champ Banshee Saturday afternoon & played #4-10 at Cedar Hills. Champ Banshee is serious beef. Used Hydra for pond on #7.

Played Apex Nature park Sunday afternoon. Was tired of lugging DD Soldier bag so trimmed the load to fit in Innova standard bag:
163 Star Leopard3
175 DX Leopard
175 Champ Banshee
180 Camp RocX3
168 DX Roc3 (bought back in the summer)
164 Champ Roc3 (bought back in the summer)
172 Star Rat
174 soft LINK

Didn't keep score. Was curious if lighter Roc3s would turn any, NO they didn't. Tried forehanding Rat through tree gap on #4 then hyzered Banshee around 90 degree left mando, I may work on that shot some more. Probably need to throw DX Roc3 more to beat it in.

Played Cedar Hills Hills this morning, didn't run as my back is hurting. Carried in hand:
163 Star Leopard3
175 Champ Banshee
180 Star Roc (used 6/10)
172 Star Rat
Hydra

Maybe 10 over par from white tees. Birdied pond on #7 with Hydra. Tried to use Champ Banshee, *Roc, and Hydra a lot. Had some decent flex shots and forehands with Banshee, I like this disc. I suck putting with Hydra.

Tried using *Roc for straight, right turn, and flicks. I'm not feeling it with this disc.

Played Apex Nature Park the other day. Picked 4 discs a la garublador's Build A Bag thread
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790
and just carried them in my hand.

163 Star Leopard3
175 Champ Banshee
172 Star Rat
174 Soft LINK

Forehanded the Banshee a lot, noticed I have a tendency throw it up instead of straight out. Made some nice right turns with it throwing RHFH.

Left RocX3 at home and just used Rat. It's pretty decent off the tee throwing backhand.

Half the time throwing the Leo3 I threw it way off to the right (RHBH). Don't know if I'm grip locking it or what. Does anyone else do that with lighter weight fairway? I'm wondering if it's my technique/lineup at tee or if a heavier Leo3 would be easier to throw.

As you smooth out it's easier to throw those lighter fairways.. Keep working with it. If you want to add a heavy one do it but don't give up on the light one.

FWIW I rarely carry a driver heavier than 165, fairway or distance but that's me. Only heavy stuff in my bag is my mids actually and the occasional Envy as an extra option. Most of my stuff is 155-165g.

Need to change my username to DiscWhore. Got a 175 Pro Leopard and 175 DX Valkyrie last weekend. Pro Leopard is nice, turns just a little with power, played 1-2 times with it already. Can't throw the Valk any farther than Leo\Leo3, I'll keep doing fieldwork with it.

Picked up a 169 Champ Leo and a 177 Millennium Taurus last night, threw them at lunchtime today. Both are a little domey.

Champ Leo is pretty straight but seems to have harder fade at end than DX/Pro.

Taurus flies a lot like my RocX3. Fades harder then my DX Rocs (obviously) but got similar distance as my DX flat top glow Roc.

Played Middle Creek Park last weekend right hand (BH & FH) versus left hand (BH only):
Right - champ Leo & Taurus
Left - X Comet

Played Jones Park today, front 9 right hand Taurus vs left hand X Comet again, but added champ Leo for back 9 because I'm weak.

I didn't do that bad left handed, stay in the fairway more. Right handed I torque monkey or spaz throw into the woods more.

Played with these the last few rounds
DX Valkyrie 175
Pro Leopard
Champ Leopard
Champ Banshee
Taurus
Pig

I'm putting better with the Pig than the Link within the circle, and can forehand Pig almost as good as Rat from 80'ish out. Decided to leave Rat and Link out for a few rounds.

Tried playing with DX Valk and discovered I can actually throw it hard enough to see the S turn, feeling pleased with myself and my noodle arm

Wow, haven't updated in almost one year.

My 2020 disc golfing has been play for a few months, don't play for a few months, repeat.

Earlier in the year I was pretty much either:
1) schlepping around two of everything (Link, Taurus, Champ Banshee, Champ Leo, Pro Leo)
2) Playing 2 disc rounds (driver du jour +
Rat)

Worked on hitting gaps throwing forehand.

Tried several new drivers Champ Valkyrie, Champ Eagle, Champ TL, realized I throw my DX Teebird farther (duh).

This fall I started carrying:
Champ Banshee 175
Champ Teebird 165
Star Teebird 174
DX Teebird 171
Q Taurus 175ish
KC Pro Roc 175
X Comet 172
Pig
Soft Link x2

I've been trying to throw more DX the last few weeks - love the glide. DX Teebird/KC Roc are both both beat enough to turn with power. Trying to figure the right amount of hyzer to use on them and Comet for various lines

Think I've figured out how much anhyser to use on new Star Teebird to get a "mini-flex" shot that goes straight without a lot of fade.

Latest posts