• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] clarify for new discers

AdmiralQuack

Par Member
I just started discing in April 2012, and have only thrown discs I've found (only unmarked of course), therefore haven't bought any. Because I haven't shopped for discs, I don't get alot of the terminology you seasoned players use in identifying discs. For instance, I hear people say OOP disc, what's that? Bar stamped? Could I get some of you experienced guys to list various terms used in disc talk, to help make it easier for us new guys? thank you!!

OOP = out of production
Bar Stamp is an early run with a specific stamp on it.
there is a thread of disc terminology.

What other terms do you want to know?

I tried to find another thread, because I know there was one out there...suprised Prerube didn't jump all over it. But there are literally tons of terms you could be referring to. A good place to start is the Disc Golf Sweden website. They have a full history of Disc Golf, including comprehensive histories of most companies and most discs.

Here's the link: http://www.discgolfsweden.se/english/index.aspx

Enjoy.

Glopto = a Lat 64 disc that looks and feels as if gold line was mixed with opto.
Circle stamp = SEE BOTH PICS
Moray.jpg

Field dressed gazelle = SEE PIC
2012-01-16_10-15-22_166.jpg

I figured I would help with out yelling use the search feature. He wants specialized terms about discs, not Anyhyzer, OAT, ect.

Glopto = a Lat 64 disc that looks and feels as if gold line was mixed with opto.
Circle stamp = SEE BOTH PICS

Field dressed gazelle = SEE PIC

I figured I would help with out yelling use the search feature. He wants specialized terms about discs, not Anyhyzer, OAT, ect.

ah yes...it would help to actually read the OP

A bar stamp is just cosmetic, don't believe any hype about them being better, just different looking. Many folks like to collect discs with a certain look. It can get quite costly, but unless you're a collector don't get wrapped around the axle with cosmetics.

Its how they fly that counts, not how they look.

I tried to find another thread, because I know there was one out there...suprised Prerube didn't jump all over it. But there are literally tons of terms you could be referring to. A good place to start is the Disc Golf Sweden website. They have a full history of Disc Golf, including comprehensive histories of most companies and most discs.

Here's the link: http://www.discgolfsweden.se/english/index.aspx

Enjoy.

That link helps alot! He did jump on it, about 30 seconds after I posted, figured as much. How can I erase this thread since it's not necessary ? I should have PMed one of you guys instead.

A bar stamp is just cosmetic, don't believe any hype about them being better, just different looking. Many folks like to collect discs with a certain look. It can get quite costly, but unless you're a collector don't get wrapped around the axle with cosmetics.

Its how they fly that counts, not how they look.

thanks for the explanation, probably save me some money down the road!

you can not erase a thread, but do not worry about it. If you have a specific question about a certain term you can ask it in this thread and I will try to answer it for you (without berating you). If I provide links it is because I think they are useful.

you can not erase a thread, but do not worry about it. If you have a specific question about a certain term you can ask it in this thread and I will try to answer it for you (without berating you). If I provide links it is because I think they are useful.

I understand exactly why you do what you do. As a "noob" I've been learning, but it's unbelievable how much information one needs to learn in a sport that is so "easy" (heard it said alot).

Any specific questions?

Gummy is a tacky flexible plastic, Chalky and Eraser wizards feel exactly what they sound like.
Pearly is swirly marks reminicent of a pearl but can come in any color.

Colorshift:
colorshift.jpg

ProtoStar:
DSCF2160.jpg

Big Bird Roc:
bigbird-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jaybird, Skullboy, and Brainwave are all types of stamps or dyes.

This is one variety of Innova Bar Stamp (this is nothing valuable) :
DSCF1390.jpg

Last edited:
Note: That Big Bird Roc is also known as a Right Facing Roc.

Thanks for the pic examples. They help alot! I can't think of anything else specific at the moment. I had more questions that I found answers to on the swedes website. If you think of any other out of the ordinary terms and such throw em on here. It's hard to know what is confusing till you see it. thanks again for your time guys!

Latest posts