• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Classic Aviar...grid stamp

Jimmy

Eagle Member
Please tell me about these. BB, SB, or beadless? Significant flight differences? What's the plastic like?

almost forgot the one i had was really stiff like the above poster said but my buddy had one that felt more like a kc aviar

Most are small bead, overstable out of the box.. but after a few trees. def. straight, of all the Aviars, def. the straightest.

It's too open a question. They have been making a grid stamped Aviar since the mid 80's. They must have made thousands of runs of Aviars with that stamp over the years. It has been beadless, big bead, small bead...you name it. The plastic has been ceramic bowl hard, soft and grippy and everything in-between at one point or another. Basically the only kind of Aviar I haven't seen with a grid stamp is the current Aviar X mold, but they probably made some of those, too.

Dang, beaten by stiff. I was just at a PIA today and they a few rock-hard small beads and one slightly-soft no bead.

Small bead Grid stamped bricks are super tough to find these days (though I got a semi used one off ebay last week for $11!). I've got about 15 stiff vintage tourney stamped small beads that I've purchased off ebay. I'm not really hung up on the stamp as much as I am the small bead and stiffness. For me, the small bead adds the perfect amount of stability. The new Classics are beadless and much softer. My baby is a black brick Classic small bead with a white stamp...so sweet. When these things break in they are so straight and reliable...I use my broken in (i.e.. I've been throwing it since 2002) Classic small bead more than I use my 11X KC Champ for drives and approaches. I just trust it more. A broken in Classic also makes a great putter for jump putts and/or long runs...it just holds the line.

If anybody has any small bead Classics that they're looking to sell...shoot me a PM. I'm interested.

BIG MACK said:
If anybody has any small bead Classics that they're looking to sell...shoot me a PM. I'm interested.

What weights are you looking for? They had a few at PAI in the low 160s.

I putted with a beadless classic for a couple of years. The plastic on the ones I liked was fairly pliable for dx (I really hated the one super-stiff one I had). The reason why I shelved them was because of the lack of predictability. Sometimes they will fade right (RHBH) and get tons more distance than I was expecting, other times they hold their line. Although I still use them for shorter shots that I want to turn over, I've recently switched back to the wizard and have found greater predictability. Once I get a nicely beat-up wizard, the classics might be out altogether.

Latest posts