• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Classic Review lines

The real outrage is that UDisc fails to acknowledge the course's rating in their top 100 lists.
The goal was to get Sheetz listed as the highest rated and "Best" course in NC on Udisc, but it never got enough votes to qualify in their arcane algorithm for the best course. At one point, it was rated 4.9+ and probably had the highest rating in NC (in spite of some of other users at a certain Triangle course who also may have gamed that glaring flaw in the older Udid ratings system.)

It's interesting to me how some people complained about new members coming in and reviewing Black Widow so highly. These people gave those reviews thumbs down but now we have what I would call a 0.0, some would call a 0.5 and we're "playing along" and giving these reviews with ratings way crazier than the Black Widow ratings, thumbs up. Is it because the reviews are "funny" or they are trusted reviewers and fear the wrath of people like Craig? These reviews are the definition of not helpful. We need to make votes anonymous again IMO.

Last edited:
The main point of the high Udisc ratings for Sheetz was to point out some inherent problems with Udisc plus just have a little fun. Yes, DGCR users are superior and enlightened, so we all know how a 1 basket Practice Area at a gas station should be rated, so if anyone wants to give an accurate and realistic review here on DGCR then they should go ahead and do so. DGCR users should even rate it appropriately to maintain the fact that DGCR ratings are actually accurate and not just all 4.4 to 5 like they are on Udisc (the AirBnb scale).

I'm more worried about reviews that claim untrue things about a course than I am the rating of said course. A rating of 4 or 5 is subjective; saying a course has concrete tee pads e.g. is not.

It's interesting to me how some people complained about new members coming in and reviewing Black Widow so highly. These people gave those reviews thumbs down but now we have what I would call a 0.0, some would call a 0.5 and we're "playing along" and giving these reviews with ratings way crazier than the Black Widow ratings, thumbs up. Is it because the reviews are "funny" or they are trusted reviewers and fear the wrath of people like Craig? These reviews are the definition of not helpful. We need to make votes anonymous again IMO.
It was a poor decision to change it.

its interpretation of the reading/research

one is completely misleading and the other is not

hopefully you can figure it out

I'm more worried about reviews that claim untrue things about a course than I am the rating of said course. A rating of 4 or 5 is subjective; saying a course has concrete tee pads e.g. is not.

Sheetz Practice is a single basket in a small patch of grass, surrounded by concrete and asphalt. There are no defined tees. Consequently, you can tee off from anywhere. Consequently, most of the places you can tee from are asphalt or concrete.

I am guessing that explaining the joke did not make it funnier.

Sigh

Do you guys have a separate rating scale for practice areas?
I do, personally. I think that practice areas have some different considerations vs. courses that make them worthy of a different scale vs. courses (of course, there are also many of the same considerations in play too).

I stand by the 3.5, non-joking rating I gave this practice area: Ontonagon Township Park

Sheetz Practice is a single basket in a small patch of grass, surrounded by concrete and asphalt.

Yeah, the frog died during dissection.

I loved your Sheetz review. Would you mind adding a review to that other app... Usomething?

It's too bad that you didn't get to play Gold hole 9. It's truly a once in a lifetime experience playing frogger on a 2000 ft hole between 2:00-2:30am!

Incorrect. Enough people over the years have expressed their dismay at the amount of negative votes they get. I'm all for eliminating the negative vote button as other platforms have done. I could not care less what you think about me. Your meager, inconsequential self has zero bearing on my meager, inconsequential self, and I suspect you echo that sentiment. Don't worry though. My days of thinking a negative vote is some kind of sweet internet justice are over.

Enough of that garbage, come on to the really important items.

If I play this Sheetz practice course, can I get some sort of gas station hot "meal" I'll regret eating for the next 24 hours???

Sheetz Practice is a single basket in a small patch of grass, surrounded by concrete and asphalt. There are no defined tees. Consequently, you can tee off from anywhere. Consequently, most of the places you can tee from are asphalt or concrete.

I am guessing that explaining the joke did not make it funnier.

Sigh

It's not that I don't get it, it's that others might not get it. By saying this course is a par 37 and 7,000 feet long there are some people that might actually believe that and go out there and find this single practice basket. The "joke" isn't that funny. If you give me false information about a course that is the very definition of not helpful which is why I thumbed you and Craig down. At least you are nice about it and didn't call me a dick unprovoked which was uncalled for. Thanks for being civil (y)

Enough of that garbage, come on to the really important items.

If I play this Sheetz practice course, can I get some sort of gas station hot "meal" I'll regret eating for the next 24 hours???
There's plenty of roller meats and milkshakes to be had.

It's not that I don't get it, it's that others might not get it. By saying this course is a par 37 and 7,000 feet long there are some people that might actually believe that and go out there and find this single practice basket. The "joke" isn't that funny. If you give me false information about a course that is the very definition of not helpful which is why I thumbed you and Craig down. At least you are nice about it and didn't call me a dick unprovoked which was uncalled for. Thanks for being civil (y)
So, what was incorrect about my review? Where did I call this lone basket a par 37? When someone thumbs down multiple reviews for a single course at once, there's a level of pettiness involved. Which, in turn was the crux of my comment, meaning it wasn't unprovoked. Your down vote was what provoked things after all.

I do, personally. I think that practice areas have some different considerations vs. courses that make them worthy of a different scale vs. courses (of course, there are also many of the same considerations in play too).

I stand by the 3.5, non-joking rating I gave this practice area: Ontonagon Township Park
Thanks, I'm sure everyone handles them a bit differently, but that makes sense. As long as they aren't part of the default course search, I don't see why they need to be rated on the same scale.

A 9er without signs or defined tees isn't much different than a practice area. Somehow I end up driving out of my way to bag courses like that, while I'll skip a nice 3 or 4 hole "practice area" without even thinking twice. I'll play 6 holers, no problem, but for whatever reason the bagging addiction doesn't extend to practice areas for me.