• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Classic Roc gets under stable quick

blang

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I putt with a 175 Wizard with very good results inside the circle and I use DX Rocs for most mid shots. I was looking for a straight as an arrow disc to use inside 75 feet for long putts. I purchased a 170 DX Classic Roc and fell in love with it instantly. I sank two 75 plus foot putts in a row at home. Then I took it to the course a few times and it worked very well. It was stable with a little glide, exactly what I wanted. As long as it was level it would hold the line right into the basket. Within two weeks, it appeared to become more and more under stable to the point of being unusable. I expect DX plastics to do this but not that fast. I has had minimal tree hits and looks almost new. It is now by far the most under stable disc I own at high speed and currently is no use to me at all. It is nothing like what it was when I first bought it. The only way it can hold a line is to tilt it hyzer to prevent it from flying under stable, but if I do that, the wind will get under it and it will float it away.

Question 1 Has anyone experienced the Classic Roc beating in so quickly?
Question 2 If you have, what would be your advice other than buying a new one every week or two?

I would like to see the Classic Roc in Champ or Star plastic but I know they do not make them. If you have any advice please let me know. It is like someone gave me a present then took it away.

they used to make champion classic rocs up until a few months ago i believe. they are great discs for distance putting and short approaches. i lost mine, everytime i play i beg the disc golf gods to bring it back to me.

Classic Rocs are one of my favorite discs and use them for exactly what you did, those shots where I had a chance to make it 75-125 feet out. I haven't had any of the problems you have with the CRs. I have had one for a few years and it is still straight as an arrow. I bought another one to carry just because I didn't want to risk messing up my first one.

I am not sure on how you throw, but the nly thing I can think is you are using more of a power grip as opposed to a fan grip that close. I use a fan grip with my CRs since I am so close and they fly without any fade even at slower speeds. Anyways, maybe you also got a dud.

I haven't had any problems with any of my 3 CRs.

Also try something more overstable like a pro Rhyno, it will hold its line longer and will not be beaten in quite so quickly. Plus your throwing style may not favor a Roc.

I have 3 different rocs and they all flew differently right out of the gate. One that I "won" in a tourney flips over like the Kite, and it's brand new. And I bought a stingray that flies like a roc, and is not really understable at all. DX plastic is inconsistent that way.

Try a Z Buzzz or Z Wasp - champ rocs are rare and 30bux the Buzzz flies straight as an arrow wasp is a little more overstable z plastic is tough stuff - the DX plastic is like butter - i have a seldom used Roc and i can't explain some of the dents - as if i had a heated soldering iron in my bag

hrmm interesting post, i got my classic rock used, so I cant comment on what it was like brand new, but its still very stable for me and it has a fair share of dings on it.

What do you mean tuning ur disc? Like taking a lighter to the parts where the plastic is bashed in to smooth it? Or do you do something else?

I have not tried turning. I have never really considered turning to be a concept used outside the Epic. For the most part I like to have a disc replaceable if I loose one. The only DX I use is my 170 and 180 Rancho Rocs. I did find a reseller that had Champ Classic Rocs so I bought two last night. I will let you know how they work out for me. If they have the same characteristics of the off the rack as the DX classic, I will be happy for some time.

To tune your disc you just bend it slightly around the rim. If you want it more stable go around the rim bending towards the top of the disc. To get understable bend towards the bottom. Check out the aerobie website guide for tuning the epic disc for a better explanation. You can adjust that disc to suit your style better.

Latest posts