• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Claytons Alcoa Tn... Open? Closed? Help

cocopop

Bogey Member
I'm headed to Knox in 10days and was hoping to play "the Claytons" but I read somewhere that they closed the front 9 back in the fall and saw a review as late as April that said it was still closed. Can anyone confirm that its still closed?

Thanks
Cocopop

The whole wooded area is now filled with tiny house/cabin models and it doesn't look like it will reopen any time soon. Very sad. The remaining back 9 is still pretty fun but probably not worth the effort to get there.

Fear not, there's great golf in the area. If you're coming up from the south, definitely check out the recently expanded Athens Regional between Chattanooga and Knoxville. The long tees there are fantastic.

Wow. :(
That front nine was a wonderfully fun, woodsy, hilly mix. The front and back complemented each other so well that they really provided a quite well-balanced course.

I'm headed to Knox in 10days and was hoping to play "the Claytons" but I read somewhere that they closed the front 9 back in the fall and saw a review as late as April that said it was still closed. Can anyone confirm that its still closed?

Thanks
Cocopop

Is Panther Creek close enough to where you will be staying? 30ish miles ENE of Knoxville...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php#maptop

Last edited:
I concur with checking that course out if you have the means to get there. Granted not Knoxville but probably about 50 minutes from downtown. An then you have Harmon Hills at 80 minutes away from Knoxville. IMO, the best two courses in Tennessee. (note, I have only played 6 of the current top 10 rated DGCR TN courses) But if you cant make that distance, Victor Ashe and Tommy both appear to be great courses in the own right. Also, several Tommy reviews are from when the course was only 9 holes. I have met players from Knoxville that prefer that course over the Claytons.

Is Panther Creek close enough to where you will be staying? 30ish miles ENE of Knoxville...

I concur with checking that course out if you have the means to get there. Granted not Knoxville but probably about 50 minutes from downtown. An then you have Harmon Hills at 80 minutes away from Knoxville. IMO, the best two courses in Tennessee. (note, I have only played 6 of the current top 10 rated DGCR TN courses) But if you cant make that distance, Victor Ashe and Tommy both appear to be great courses in the own right. Also, several Tommy reviews are from when the course was only 9 holes. I have met players from Knoxville that prefer that course over the Claytons.

Panther is about a 40 minute drive from downtown Knoxville and the best bet within a 45 minute drive (although Harmon is only another 30 min or so from PC). And yes, Tommy Schumpert is awesome with 2 tees and 2 baskets per hole. There's a huge difference in how those formats play too. There's about a 20 stroke difference for me between the short/short and long/long! Ashe and Morningside are super solid as well. But man, that Athens Regional though! They added 9 holes last fall and it's now ALMOST Panther Creek level.

Harmon is a special course...a joy to play and definitely worth going out of your way for. Victor Ashe is pretty solid, but doesn't compare to Harmon.

Thanks

I'm glad i checked with you guys. We are actually staying in Townsend and were looking at all the reviewed courses in the area. Schumpert and Ashe were on my secondary list so thanks for the advice.

Latest posts